Hi guest don't want to see slide in ads? Register for free! Read more... ×
Clisty1989

Time for a van, suggestions welcome

Just got works car back from garage, basically been told I'll get 2-6 months out of it tops. So the van hunt begins. I'm not getting full van mount, gonna put a 350l tank in back, transfer pump and refill backpack from tank (round more suited to backpack than van mount). I still to a fair bit of trad work with father in law, so need a roof low enough to access ladders easily. I'm looking at a 2011 fiat doblo, or vauxhall combo, getting it on finance but looking at a 4k budget due to keeping repayments down. Are they any good? Or is there anything better? I know connects are good but can't find any near me that aren't trashed or in my budget.

Edited by Clisty1989

Report PostReport post

2 minutes ago, CHWS said:

Best small vans about are 1.9  vw caddy’s .i honestly wouldn’t enetertain any other Small van 

I've had a look at them, only issue is a 1.9 is gonna hammer me on insurance, highest I can realistically go is a 1.6, the joys of being 29, 2 accidents (one apparently my fault but I dispute that and have done so since day it happened, and one last December which other person admitted fault) so only 1 years no claims (2 years in august), and living in a "high risk area".

Report PostReport post

I would still run a quote for insurance mate to see. They do a non turbo 1.9 engine aswell if the insurance was to be any cheaper ? I’ve heard it sucks on power though. My advice is stay away from them newer berlingo/partners , horror stories with the one I had 

Report PostReport post

Best bet would be to go for the lowest mialage you can with plenty of service history. A lot of vans on finance for 4k are going to be tarted up piles of shite. Im sure there are a few good ones about. I started off with a old berlingo 1.9d you can still find these with low miles under £1500. Better than been tied to finance on a 4k van.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Report PostReport post

My advice mate dont mess about when it comes to a van, anything else is replaceable but if your vans in the garage constantly youve had it. Even if the insurance hammers you its all tax deductible. From my previous experience i wouldnt have a berlingo. Clutch went after 6 months and know two other people with citreons all clutches burned out. Have a ford transit swb now and it gets the job done. Also heard bad things about the new model renault traffics, turbos & engines blowing

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Report PostReport post

Just bought be first van last week and got a 64 plate vauxhall combo 1.3 from van monster for under 5k but the roof is high on these models at least for me been 5ft, But i assume you are looking at the older shape. 

I know sweet f.a about motors so chose van monster as they come with a 6 month warranty which covers gearbox, clutch and a whole load more 

Edited by Iron Giant

Report PostReport post

1 minute ago, Iron Giant said:

Just bought be first van last week and got a 64 plate vauxhall combo 1.3 from van monster for under 5k but the roof is high on these models at least for me been 5ft, But i assume you are looking at the older shape. 

No newer shape but I'm 6'1 so can easily reach, and my father in law is 6'4

Report PostReport post