Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar panel cleaning

Shame he not on here again, him vs entire forum was kind of fun to watch  :1f61c:

I do think he's on the wind up. Some of them get really narked when he won't answer questions about cleaning them safely. He claims normal window cleaners rocking up with WFP don't know the risks they're taking i.e. electrocution. If he knows a safe way of cleaning them he should share that information on the forums to save someone getting seriously hurt. Unless he's not telling the truth?

If you are cleaning panels for ss you have to use pure and provide a tds reading photo before starting work for him . Pure would be best to use as in a high calcium area you would get water marks and deposits left behind , the company’s we do work for all insist pure is used and I have Hurd a roumour that they might do spot checks dipping peoples tanks to cheak what they are using ?... 

better get back on the other forum and continue the battle ????

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are cleaning panels for ss you have to use pure and provide a tds reading photo before starting work for him . Pure would be best to use as in a high calcium area you would get water marks and deposits left behind , the company’s we do work for all insist pure is used and I have Hurd a roumour that they might do spot checks dipping peoples tanks to cheak what they are using ?... 

better get back on the other forum and continue the battle ????

I've got an idea who you are on there ?

If there was an issue with the panels wouldn't it trip it out the electrics? No matter what they would be earthed? 

If there was an issue with the panels wouldn't it trip it out the electrics? No matter what they would be earthed? 

Yes I think you are right but the panel will still be live as you cannot stop it producing electricity unless it’s dark or the panel is coverd then there is still the possibility that it will still produce some power 

True mate I think they store electricity even if there switched off but so long as your using a Gardiner Pole even if there was an issue with a panel and it was live the poles lower section won't conduct electricity. So should be ok.. You might not want to touch the hose if that was the case though..

Yes I think you are right but the panel will still be live as you cannot stop it producing electricity unless it’s dark or the panel is coverd then there is still the possibility that it will still produce some power 

I do think he's on the wind up. Some of them get really narked when he won't answer questions about cleaning them safely. He claims normal window cleaners rocking up with WFP don't know the risks they're taking i.e. electrocution. If he knows a safe way of cleaning them he should share that information on the forums to save someone getting seriously hurt. Unless he's not telling the truth?

I posted this on the other forum.

Wikipedia on electrocution;

"Electrocution is death or serious injury caused by electric shock, electric current passing through the body. The word is derived from "electro" and "execution", but it is also used for accidental death. The word is also used to describe non-fatal injuries due to electricity. The term "electrocution," was coined in 1889 in the US just before the first use of the electric chair and originally referred only to electrical execution and not to accidental or suicidal electrical deaths. However, since no English word was available for non-judicial deaths due to electric shock, the word "electrocution" eventually took over as a description of all circumstances of electrical death from the new commercial electricity."

Here's the interesting section about electric shock.

"The health hazard of an electric current flowing through the body depends on the amount of current and the length of time for which it flows, not merely on the voltage. However, a high voltage is required to produce a high current through the body. This is due to the relatively high resistance of skin when dry, requiring a high voltage to pass through. The severity of a shock also depends on whether the path of the current includes a vital organ. Death can occur from any shock that carries enough sustained current to stop the heart. Low currents (70–700 mA) usually trigger fibrillation in the heart, which is reversible via defibrillator but is nearly always fatal without help. Currents as low as 30 mA AC or 300-500 mA DC applied to the body surface can cause fibrillation. Large currents (> 1 A) cause permanent damage via burns and cellular damage. The voltage necessary to create current of a given level through the body varies widely with the resistance of the skin; wet or sweaty skin or broken skin can allow a larger current to flow. Whether an electric current is fatal is also dependent on the path it takes through the body, which depends in turn on the points at which the current enters and leaves the body. The current path must usually include either the heart or the brain to be fatal."

So there is a risk to cleaning panels of electric shock which can be serious if the panels haven't been properly installed or the cabling has been damaged and exposed to the elements. Using stiffer carbon fibre poles that conduct electricity isn't the answer. Wet poles, no matter what they are made of will also conduct electricity.

I have a pair of high voltage protection gloves in the van. Its pointless wearing them as the pole just slips in my hands when wearing them.

As I said on CIU Solar Steve's introduction video on his website shows some operative cleaning a large solar array on a large industrial unit.

http://www.cleansolarsolutions.com.au/

(This link has been removed from Solar Steve's threads.)

A few are wearing wellies, one appears to wear boots of the steel toe cap design and one is cleaning the panels by holding his pole with his bare hands. So it doesn't appear to me as though any of those operatives are taking any special precautions to protect themselves against electric shock although most seem to be wearing protective gloves.

For us my concern has always been how we clean panels on residential roofs. I can't see anyone erecting a scaffolding tower as customers want cleaning to be done as cheaply as possible. So the only very dangerous alternative is balancing off a ladder with two hands working the pole. I doubt any who do this have those front fasting safety harnesses tied off to the ladder and the ladder securely fixed so it does'nt fall. The problem with that front fixing safety harness (the same as BT and Sky fitters use) is that we need to stand above the top of the ladder to work the pole. Because of this, this harness becomes more of a hinderance than a third point of contact with the ladder.

This is the reason why we don't offer solar panel cleaning as a service.

Is't pure water less conductive as its been filtered so your less likely to get shock 

Wow, what a good point. :1f44d:

I should have thought about that as our tds meter actually proves your statement.

I found this on the internet. "Is water a conductor of electricity or not?

Water is a terrible conductor of electricity. Pure water is actually a good insulator. However, water is a great ionic solvent: liquid in which ionic compounds can dissolve easily. It's those dissolved ions that can conduct well - and when water contains many dissolved ions, those ions make a good conductor."

Well done that man!

Wow, what a good point. :1f44d:

I should have thought about that as our tds meter actually proves your statement.

I found this on the internet. "Is water a conductor of electricity or not?

Water is a terrible conductor of electricity. Pure water is actually a good insulator. However, water is a great ionic solvent: liquid in which ionic compounds can dissolve easily. It's those dissolved ions that can conduct well - and when water contains many dissolved ions, those ions make a good conductor."

Well done that man!
So cleaning panels with pure is actually safer, and as pole hose is also non conductive, and good poles are insulated at the bottom so therefore it's a safe way to clean them

I posted this on the other forum.

Wikipedia on electrocution;

"Electrocution is death or serious injury caused by electric shock, electric current passing through the body. The word is derived from "electro" and "execution", but it is also used for accidental death. The word is also used to describe non-fatal injuries due to electricity. The term "electrocution," was coined in 1889 in the US just before the first use of the electric chair and originally referred only to electrical execution and not to accidental or suicidal electrical deaths. However, since no English word was available for non-judicial deaths due to electric shock, the word "electrocution" eventually took over as a description of all circumstances of electrical death from the new commercial electricity."

Here's the interesting section about electric shock.

"The health hazard of an electric current flowing through the body depends on the amount of current and the length of time for which it flows, not merely on the voltage. However, a high voltage is required to produce a high current through the body. This is due to the relatively high resistance of skin when dry, requiring a high voltage to pass through. The severity of a shock also depends on whether the path of the current includes a vital organ. Death can occur from any shock that carries enough sustained current to stop the heart. Low currents (70–700 mA) usually trigger fibrillation in the heart, which is reversible via defibrillator but is nearly always fatal without help. Currents as low as 30 mA AC or 300-500 mA DC applied to the body surface can cause fibrillation. Large currents (> 1 A) cause permanent damage via burns and cellular damage. The voltage necessary to create current of a given level through the body varies widely with the resistance of the skin; wet or sweaty skin or broken skin can allow a larger current to flow. Whether an electric current is fatal is also dependent on the path it takes through the body, which depends in turn on the points at which the current enters and leaves the body. The current path must usually include either the heart or the brain to be fatal."

So there is a risk to cleaning panels of electric shock which can be serious if the panels haven't been properly installed or the cabling has been damaged and exposed to the elements. Using stiffer carbon fibre poles that conduct electricity isn't the answer. Wet poles, no matter what they are made of will also conduct electricity.

I have a pair of high voltage protection gloves in the van. Its pointless wearing them as the pole just slips in my hands when wearing them.

As I said on CIU Solar Steve's introduction video on his website shows some operative cleaning a large solar array on a large industrial unit.

http://www.cleansolarsolutions.com.au/

(This link has been removed from Solar Steve's threads.)

A few are wearing wellies, one appears to wear boots of the steel toe cap design and one is cleaning the panels by holding his pole with his bare hands. So it doesn't appear to me as though any of those operatives are taking any special precautions to protect themselves against electric shock although most seem to be wearing protective gloves.

For us my concern has always been how we clean panels on residential roofs. I can't see anyone erecting a scaffolding tower as customers want cleaning to be done as cheaply as possible. So the only very dangerous alternative is balancing off a ladder with two hands working the pole. I doubt any who do this have those front fasting safety harnesses tied off to the ladder and the ladder securely fixed so it does'nt fall. The problem with that front fixing safety harness (the same as BT and Sky fitters use) is that we need to stand above the top of the ladder to work the pole. Because of this, this harness becomes more of a hinderance than a third point of contact with the ladder.

This is the reason why we don't offer solar panel cleaning as a service.

As always  a very concise answer , we don’t go up ladders to clean domestic panels we clean them from the ground if this is not possible for what ever reason we explain to the customer why we cannot do them and explain that a scaffold tower is required at a cost of ££££££ it’s then up to them to decid3 if they want them doing so far all the ones like this have declined to have them done ???that suites me down to the ground as we hate doing them anyway 

I know its an old thread, but just wondered if any have done these from standing on a step ladder? Thing is ive said I'll do some tomorrow, and I know the slx 22 wont reach from ground, but should be ok from step ladder? I know its not ideal, as will be near on the top of the steps to get the panels at the top of the roof. Will just have to be steady. Also im just going to use pure water, ive heard this can be ok?

Back