Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Traditional cleaner what are you happy to earn a day

Hi lads I've just started out on my own the last 6 week i left my full time employment due to wanting more money I asked for a pay increase but was told that the way things are it was not possible 

So now I've went it alone I've done window cleaning on and off here and there but have decided to try make a comfortable living from it I'm starting from the ground up out canvassing 2 or 3 nights a week and most nights get round £100 worth of new work 

What I wanted to know was what are you guys capable of earning per day im not going that fast at minute due to alot of first cleans and wanting to start out with a good reputation for doing a good job I do frame glass sill and give doors a quick going over 

Will I get threw more work with a wfp system ie earn more money thanks in advance for your input

There is a demand out there for trad window cleaners. A lot of people cant move with the times and methods. Its not the safest or most practical way of working but im sure theres people out there willing to pay for a good tradder. If you charge by the hour then it makes no difference whether you’re trad or water fed really. If you’re working on price you’ll always get through it quicker water fed and life is much easier and safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Thanks for your reply it's all price work at the moment each day I'm getting more and more work so I can not complain just feel I could get threw alot more work with a wfp system but I'll give the consumer the choice 

Aye mate but hundreds on poles resin backpacks brush heads, water tanks di vessels ros. All adds up. The bonuses are though you can do fsgs and conny roofs. which are good earners. Then you could water fed upstairs and trad downstairs once youve got equipment. If you can get a big trad round and youre comfortable on ladders and willing to take the risks... it should be good profit really if youre charging enough. Only your van and insurances and tax to pay really innit. Try going bust as a trad window cleaner.
Two words.
Dont fall.
All the best!

There is only a demand for trad cause some are stil willing to feed that demand.

It's more like a couple of grand, not hundreds, by the time you set yourself up right but you sound like you're assuming @Incheck the lad hasn't got a proverbial pot to **** in?  Sounds like you're trying to price scare him into trad only. 

As for going bust as a trad cleaner?  Good luck cleaning windows in a wheel chair!  

As @Incheck suggested...Dont fall! 

The way I see it is that if it makes me get threw work faster with as good a job and earn more money doing so then it's a investment and it will pay for its self in no time but I think I'll always give the consumer the choice weather they want traditional or water fed pole as there the ones paying for it unless it's hundreds of we small windows then its wfp so if anyone knows of a decent system for sale or could point me in the right direction for a new start up one witch brushes and so on would be greatful 

Are you looking to stay doing domestic work or would you consider going commercial or industrial route? IMO for domestic work the lads are spot on WFP gives you a much more thorough clean and is alot safer. Obviously it is a bit more to it than bucket of water and squeegee but nothing that cannot be learned through practical experience like most things.

If you can diversify and get some retail/commercial work, trad cleaning is a gift for that & obviously if you are working on shopping malls trad is the only way to go. I watch a guy trying to wfp outside of one of the centres I do and before he gets set up and ready to clean, i have already been and gone from the store beside it. Industrial cleaning, sure don't even bother trying trad with it. IMO every window cleaning should have both options in his or her arsenal so you are prepared for any job. Different jobs call for different approaches. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet with what you can earn a day, as it's relative to how much you have and how quickly you can do it. Just concentrate on establishing yourself as a reliable supplier, keep the body fit and healthy and perfect your game. There is an abundance of glass around the place that needs to be cleaned, there will always be work there for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been using wfp for around fifteen years now and still use both methods. I see wfp as another tool in the trade and not a replacement. There’s always gonna be windows that are out of reach for a pole or old wooden windows that just never come up right. Some guys on here will beg to differ as they have the luxury of picking and choosing there work but when your first starting out especially from nothin you will want to take on everything. Obviously you want to start as you mean to go on but that’s not always financially possible. Also remember what takes you half an hour now will take you a lot less as you learn and improve your skills. I’m covering around £25-£40/hour 100% trad if that gives you somethin to aim for but to start with I wouldn’t dwell on too many figures as it may dishearten you. As long as your earning a living instead of signing the dotted line then that’s all that’s matters.
Good luck matey.

Not trying to scare him or assume anything like, just responding with an opinion as we all do dude. Does head in to the thousands as you say

Should be getting more an hour tha m you did working else we’re to be honest as long as you don’t get lazy like me in leaver around half 10 and back for half 2 I’m lazy

Thanks for your reply it's all price work at the moment each day I'm getting more and more work so I can not complain just feel I could get threw alot more work with a wfp system but I'll give the consumer the choice 
Personally I wouldn't give the client a choice, reason been its your business and your health if you decide to switch to wfp in the future then switch the lot.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’ve had clients not sure about WFP because of cowboys in the past. They decided to ‘give it a go’ and now they're as happy as larry. Don’t let a customer tell you how to do your job, trad or WFP. 

Edit: I will say, I would probably make a exception for a ground floor flat/bungalow that’s willing to pay big money, as I’m trading without risk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah definitely you dont ask a carpenter to do a job for you and tell him what tools to use so why would you doing anything else. The tools can be old but if the man knows how to use them he gets by, likewise the tools can be top of the range but if the operative is unskilled they wont get him far

End of day it's all up to you
If wanna do trad. I know someone who just does trad and he makes around £3000 amonth
So good money can be made from it like wfp
The best way to make money is to get houses side by side
But that takes time normally
All the best and enjoy

You round and daily rate will go up as you build your round. As you will get faster and also as you decrease the distance and time between jobs you will be able to do more work. What ever you think is your max amount it won't be and remember the next door neighbour is the holy grail of window cleaning and if you get all the neighbours this time next year rodders

I used to do about £20ph 10 years ago tradding but had to move fast for that and was hard to keep that up all day. It's definitely physically harder to use ladders so harder to put a long day in.

Also weather plays more of a role, slippery decking in wet weather, having to step on tiles in wet, ice, wind. Also wind blowing your ladder and blowing the soap back on the glass you've just done. Sunny hot weather- can't app more than 1 pane at a time as it'll start to dry before you get to it. You'll probably start taking risks on ladders as it becomes more ordinary and you get complacent. If you're going to start trad it's a good skill to have but be picky over what you take on and work with eventually switching to WFP in mind.

Back