Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladders falling from vans

dmw

While working yesterday I heard a right old clatter, i turned round and saw a Transit that had turned a corner and his ladders had shot off. Oh dear.

Anyway I've done it a couple of times over the years and thankfully not caused any damage.

The worst one years ago when I loaded the ladders on the roof and got sidetracked and only realised after I'd driven a good half mile and when I was traveling down the main road and noticed the ladders above me start to move. I managed to gently stop and tie them up. Made me sweat a bit.

Anyone else join the stupid club?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yep. Drove about 2 miles round corners up hill n found out oops i never bolted them down.
Another time was on a country road, round a bend ladders came clattering off,thankfully managed to get them off road before accident happened. Not a nice feeling, use wfp now:)

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

When I had an Astra van( with lift up tailgate) I used to push the ladders forward a few inches so the tailgate would open a little further. Anyway I did it one day before I tied them on. Pushed them straight off of the van. They landed on the bonnet.  Nice scratches and dent!!

WE HAVE TO PUT A SAFETY DIVISE, AN UPRIGHT PEICE OF METAL PERHAPS, CAUSE WE CARRY LADDERS ALL THE TIME I HAVENT DONE MINE YET BUT I REALY MUST..........

My mate Danny who used to work for me and who I sold a round too, told me a couple of months back he drove round a bend and saw his 14 ft A frame ladder come flying of the rack because he’d forgotten to tie them.

Thankfully, he said they’d slid onto the road and harmed nobody. He pulled over and as he got out to retrieve them, saw a double decker bus go round his van and drive straight over them bending them up ?

Use ladder clamps, a young lad near mewas driving up a steep hill the ladders came flying off hit the car behind and killed the female driver,7 years jail 

Use ladder clamps, a young lad near mewas driving up a steep hill the ladders came flying off hit the car behind and killed the female driver,7 years jail 
I feel so sorry for both parties. And the ladies family, what an awful incident. Nothing worse than seeing someone go to jail for getting out there and earning a living, while other people can choose to be bone idle and not work. claiming everything under the sun and professionals at suing for free bucks.
Judging by what people are saying on here it could have so easily been someone else.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Remember last year when we had the bad winds round here, was driving in a particularly open area and the wind ripped my ladders off despite being clamped down!

Now wfp only

Remember last year when we had the bad winds round here, was driving in a particularly open area and the wind ripped my ladders off despite being clamped down!
Now wfp only
What, thats insane!! I have clamps and an armoured cable style bike lock on ours, so if for whatever reason the clamps should fail then the ladder is still cabled to the roof rack. If the roof rack should fail then....game over

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back