Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help getting customers

Cameronmalson1985

I need alittle help. I have tried knocking doors and have dropped leaflets off but no matter what I try I can’t seem to pick up customers. I find it really frustrating as I’m working hard and getting nowhere. I really want this to work for me. I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you very much for your time. Cameron 

How many doors have you knocked? How many leaflets have you dropped? How long have you been trying?

its difficult at this time of year, tends to be a little slow for new work compared to the summer months. Leaflets need to be delivered in huge quantities generally 1-2 enquiries per 1000 leaflets would be considered an average return. In some areas it’s not as easy to build a round as the Internet gurus claim. But it will happen with persistence!

Hello. I have been doing leaflets for about a week and every door I have knocked they have said sorry we got a window cleaner. I have delivered about 1000 leaflets so far. No1 seems to be interested and it’s frustrating. Thank you for the reply ??

Hello. I have been doing leaflets for about a week and every door I have knocked they have said sorry we got a window cleaner. I have delivered about 1000 leaflets so far. No1 seems to be interested and it’s frustrating. Thank you for the reply ??

For Sale/Sold boards!! Note which houses are for sale/sold in your area. As soon as a sold sign goes up a potential new customer will be moving in. Knock the door as soon as there's a sign new people have moved in and give them the spiel that you clean in the road blah blah blah. Look on Rightmove for houses you can target in the areas you want to work. Put leaflets up in shops, put an ad in the local parish magazine. There is work out there, you can find it. It will be slow to start but if you're determined you'll get to where you want.

Ok I will try that with rightmove thank you.  I’m going back out again tomorrow knocking doors and hopefully I will have abit of luck soon. Thanks you for your help much appreciated ??

I dropped 1000 leaflets once mate and had about 3 calls, its a very poor return for a lot of work in my experience. Our flyers didnt look as good as they could have mind but everything was a bit of a rush when we started out & thats one things that really could have been improved on .

Canvassing on the other hand, built our business. gets work if done at the right time. Saturday mornings between 11 & 2:30 are the best for picking up custys canvassing.

Could try online advertising, it works well for me, all of our work is now through recommendation or online advertising, or through people seeing us working & flagging us down in the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I was lucky enough. I delivered 65 leaflets the other week to a street right next to mine. Ended up with 3 gutter jobs and a regular job that’s £25 a pop!
You just need to find that sweet spot and keep running at it!
I’m slowly but surely increasing my round and I’ve only been going a month.

I dropped 1000 leaflets once mate and had about 3 calls, its a very poor return for a lot of work in my experience. Our flyers didnt look as good as they could have mind but everything was a bit of a rush when we started out & thats one things that really could have been improved on .

Canvassing on the other hand, built our business. gets work if done at the right time. Saturday mornings between 11 & 2:30 are the best for picking up custys canvassing.

Could try online advertising, it works well for me, all of our work is now through recommendation or online advertising, or through people seeing us working & flagging us down in the street.

I delivered loads today and thought I would have at least one but nothing. Been on Facebook and have had 3 tonight. What do you mean by canvassing. Do you mean by knocking doors and asking if they need a window cleaner. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it ??

I delivered loads today and thought I would have at least one but nothing. Been on Facebook and have had 3 tonight. What do you mean by canvassing. Do you mean by knocking doors and asking if they need a window cleaner. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it [emoji1360]
Thats correct, the old knock knock. I didnt like doing it, you get all sorts of reactions, and anybody could answer the door. no cold calling signs on every other house, security sidneys who’ve got cameras fitted everywhere reporting every unauthorised door knocker to trading standards, the people who work nights or the alcoholics on their hangovers waking up to answer the door and giving you a torrent of abuse. The times when someone elderly who really struggles to answer the door slowly arrives and when they do answer it you think aww bless them i’ve got them all the way out of their chair and then you feel guilty. But..its a fast way to get work theres no doubt about it.

When people email you or text you or leave a voicemail at least you know they are looking for your services and you can get a rough idea of who they are. Canvassing is the foundation of our business i cant deny but the sooner you can move away from it the better in my opinion.

Facebook, gumtree, local hang me up ads and local recommendations are thankfully how we are getting the work now that we are established [emoji122]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi I've recently started out building my business by just canvassing and the work is coming in very fast just tonight I've got near £200 worth of new work in a two miles radius 

Now for tip that help me be clean and tidy polite always knock door and as soon as they open just say hi or good evening sorry for disturbing you do you have a window cleaner at the minute tell them your local and have work in the area but your trying to build on it worked for me best of luck

I don't know if it'll work for you because there can be a lot of competition but I always canvass new housing estates. You have to be on the ball with it- knocking as soon as possible after it is occupied. The benefits are compact work (increasing hourly rate and less collecting time) and better prices and once you've a foothold, competition drops a lot. It's worth travelling out if there isn't an estate under construction nearby. 

Other than that I second the recommendation to look up recently sold houses.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tried and tested format which seems to work

go out blanket with leaflets whole estate never knock a door on the first day...

normally leave it a day or two

then knock every door ask if they saw the leaflet and if they need a windy....never put them under pressure if they've got one to leave (come to me) usually knock out between 10\15 on a nights canvassing

new estates always check online how many are going up 175 on an estate means plenty of room for at least 2/3 of us so keep punting away 25 on an estate is worth travelling for

Chris

I delivered a load today in a new housing estate and got one phone call from it. I will leave it two days and try what u said knocking and asking did they see the leaflet ?? Thank u
looks,like u nailed it if you had a call pretty much straight away off the leaflets

id be back on them Thursday Friday evening knock every door if possible...make a note of ones not in and drop back on them Saturday Sunday

Yeah I left the new housing estate drove about to miles and that’s when he phoned. When I give him the quote he was happy and said when can you do it for me. 1pm tomorrow and I’m hoping when I do it people will see me and get on to me. Like u said Thursday and Friday I will knock the doors and see if they had leaflets and see if they are interested. Thanks everyone for your help ??????

Back