Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner slx worn after a year

GSS Window Cleaning

Brought 2 slx poles last year and now both are not clamping as the first 4 inch of the poles worn away. Ive seen a video of using clear lacquer on the section to build it back up. Any other ideas? Ive used some brown parcel as a temporary fix which would be ideal if it was a bit more robust. Any ideas? 

My extreme pole is the same, worn away just below the clamps on the top 3 or 4 sections and it just wouldn’t clamp. I started not fully collapsing it so as the pole didn’t spin in the clamps. 

There was a video on here before Xmas about lacquering the pole, I tried this, it brought the pole up nice but it still didn’t clamp. I think it was worn down too much.

Any how, just below each clamp I put a wrap and a half of electrical insulation tape cut off nice and neat and square. Does the job a treat, lasts for two or three weeks and then I replace the tape, and hopefully no more wearing down the pole. 

Maybe give that a try and hopefully it will work for you also. 

I had the same issue with my 1 year old gardiners xtreme pole and did the lacquer trick. Now it's as good as new!

Maintaining your tools also goes a long way.

I normally use epoxy to build up the thickness. Either use a scraper blade or old bank card to scrap off excess, leaving a really thin layer.  That’s always done the trick for me

Brought 2 slx poles last year and now both are not clamping as the first 4 inch of the poles worn away. Ive seen a video of using clear lacquer on the section to build it back up. Any other ideas? Ive used some brown parcel as a temporary fix which would be ideal if it was a bit more robust. Any ideas? 
as a gas fitter, I would buy grey gas tape from plumbers merchant, it's like grey gaffa tape but more robust. cheers m

as a gas fitter, I would buy grey gas tape from plumbers merchant, it's like grey gaffa tape but more robust. cheers m
The parcel tapes worked, i use it on my fishing pole on the male sections but you mustnt have any oberlap when applying the tape. It stops the sections sticking and wearing and accidentally comimg off, so thought it might work on the wfp too. So far its done the job

SOLVED!!!!!!

For all you Gardiner pole owners ive fixed the issue with spinning sections after the pole starts to wear......new shims costing £0.35p each from Gardiners! The post and packaging come to more lol thanks to Cassie at gardiner for helping. Didn't know such a small piece of plastic did so much. Makes my life so much easier now!!

New shims do make a difference, they don't look to worn at a glance until taken off were you can really see how worn they are, I also use plastikote matt finish clear sealer to build up sections but has to be done on a warm day and usually take sections in house overnight or weekend so it can cure more so through the colder months 

Back