Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking before speaking

Eddie dragon

I Asked a lady today if she was looking after the gran kids. Got told there hers an how old did I she think she is. She did find it funny.  Best I herd was old boss to a customer. Wife obsessed with flower beds under the windows. Customer comes out to offer a brew. Boss just comes out with. Have a word with your wife her Bush is out of control. Me an other lad ??

So let's hear your little oops moments. 

One of my favourites .
Customer I hadn't seen for a while comes out of the house after I had finished gardening.
Me. Hi I havnt seen you for while.
looks at her belly.
Me .Congratulations when are you due?
Her . I'm not pregnant! Obviously just Fat!.

Silence.

Me. Ok sooo sorry !
I will be back in a fortnight!

Quick exit.[emoji44][emoji44][emoji44]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’ve never put my foot in it and said the wrong thing. However I used to clean a block of flats a few years ago. These were all privately owned. A management company took care of arranging for me to clean the outside windows. One of the ladies was quite pretty. In her 40s i would say. One day I left her a note saying “ if u ever want your insides rubbed over text me”. And she did. We saw each other for fun everytime I cleaned the windows or whenever it rained for about a year!

Lady comas out looking sad...
Me: Cheer up it could be worse
Lady: I'm not so sure...
Me: you could be cleaning windows in the rain! Haha...
Lady: my husband died yesterday...

Wow, and with that I'll see you next month [emoji23]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Customer in his mid 50s 

Me:  How you doing? 

Him: Dying

Me: Arent we all! Catch you next month!

Following month wife informs me he died.  What I was in such a hurry not to find out last time I saw him was that he had been diagnosed with almost everything terminal at once and given weeks to live.  

I feel like a c*** every time I pass the house for not taking the time to have a chat as I never knew it would be the last time.  

sadly we never know when the last time we will see them could be. We’ve only been going about 4 years and we’ve had 4 deaths, one poor man who turned completely blind and there’s a few suffering with cancer. It’s awful i know. They’re the salt of the earth as well. The thing i hate about this job most is that if you want to be competitive in window cleaning and win work, + make a living, you cant factor in time to talk. Its totally different when you’re building or decorating, you know you’re there for the day or a week or a month and you can chat without it affecting what youre earning. A lot of customers will stand in the garden and have a chat as im working which is great. But i think we all try to minimise the time spent at the front door chatting. When youre cleaning in winter and are exposed to the elements, and when youve almost always got another job to go to, as is the nature of this industry, or if youve simply got to get home, sort your van out wash your clothes and cook, the time just isnt always there. I take a quick 5 minutes here and there but its never enough and you do feel rotten closing out conversations. Life is too fast

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

sadly we never know when the last time we will see them could be. We’ve only been going about 4 years and we’ve had 4 deaths, one poor man who turned completely blind and there’s a few suffering with cancer. It’s awful i know. They’re the salt of the earth as well. The thing i hate about this job most is that if you want to be competitive in window cleaning and win work, + make a living, you cant factor in time to talk. Its totally different when you’re building or decorating, you know you’re there for the day or a week or a month and you can chat without it affecting what youre earning. A lot of customers will stand in the garden and have a chat as im working which is great. But i think we all try to minimise the time spent at the front door chatting. When youre cleaning in winter and are exposed to the elements, and when youve almost always got another job to go to, as is the nature of this industry, or if youve simply got to get home, sort your van out wash your clothes and cook, the time just isnt always there. I take a quick 5 minutes here and there but its never enough and you do feel rotten closing out conversations. Life is too fast

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I agree, and have mentioned on here before that I try my best not just to be ‘the window cleaner’ but  ‘steve’.

I have several customers that always ask after my wife and oldest son by name yet have never met them.

I just think it’s simple manners and politeness to spare people a couple of minutes. More to life than rushing around chasing a pound ?

I am more than happy to stop for 5-10 minutes and have a chat regardless of how busy i am  as these days you don't see many of them with online payments taking over , Thankfully i have never put me foot in it plenty of time yet  :1f603:

Old fella I do the windows of his bungalow, great chap,95years young, always have a chat and he is a old school gentleman.

Every time I leave have a sadness knowing I am going to turn up one time and be told he has gone.

Latest Posts

Back