Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure wash or hypo for these?

slippy

There are small cobble things and patio stones.  The patio slabs have grass right butt up to them so would need protecting if hypo was used. 

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I never worry too much about the grass

I spray as carefully as possible near the edges or not quite to the edge as you would brush it in anyway to ensure even coverage and get it to the edges that way but if any turns white it will grow back in a few days

Just wet it first if you are worried

Is it not bad to pressure wash as it breaks the grouting?  In first photo is that block paving?  Worry all the sand would get blasted out and hypo would do a better job.   What u think. Its in an enclosed area as well so no plants

I sprayed the top photo with hypo mixed with water  6 to 1 at a guess then rinsed and no difference.  is that cos dirt isn't organic?

what about using a weak solution of ubik when spraying top section and brush. then hosedown to see if any difference. one can try a small patch first to get an idea how it will look?

Ok.  Is the brushing important with hypo or ubik? I just sprayed on then rinsed.  I have chemtek's TFR, I guess that's the same as ubik.

what about using a weak solution of ubik when spraying top section and brush. then hosedown to see if any difference. one can try a small patch first to get an idea how it will look?

I dont think ubick tfr etc will be much use on that hypo or Biocidal treatment is the only way to Kill  that 

Ok.  Is the brushing important with hypo or ubik? I just sprayed on then rinsed.  I have chemtek's TFR, I guess that's the same as ubik.
ubik is a very different animal to tfr slippy,honestly mate,please do some more research into cleaning hard surfaces otherwise if you carry on you'll come unstuck big time-with a big bill to boot,this softwashing marlarky needs a lot of homework to understand what to use where and when and on what time scale in some instances,

I sprayed the top photo with hypo mixed with water  6 to 1 at a guess then rinsed and no difference.  is that cos dirt isn't organic?
no it's cos mix too weak...and technically soil can be organic and inorganic depending what it's made of.

But I also strongly agree with Kevin. Everyone should do their own research into soft washing a get a good understanding of what it's all about, what chemicals to use and when etc.

Don't rely on forum answers otherwise you won't develop your own understanding and a casual attitude can damage property, kill grass,plants,bushes even trees stone dead.

Tno it's cos mix too weak...and technically soil can be organic and inorganic depending what it's made of.

But I also strongly agree with Kevin. Everyone should do their own research into soft washing a get a good understanding of what it's all about, what chemicals to use and when etc.

Don't rely on forum answers otherwise you won't develop your own understanding and a casual attitude can damage property, kill grass,plants,bushes even trees stone dead.

Right, I used a pressure washer on a rendered wall on a property I do weekly   maintenance on and it took the paint off in places.  Not the render mind and can probably just run a roller over it, but it's a warning to be careful.  The previous gardener killed all the plan ts with what I presume was hypo.   I am asking lots of questions.  To be honest if it's enclosed the like the place in photo u can't do any damage  because there aren't any plants.   Going to try patio magic on that.   The patio stones touching grass I will tread or spray carefully

the safest way is presoak all vegetation with water and again after clean.

That way if you're careful u can apply with a watering can or even a pump sprayer (bit slow though), pressure clean and if any hypo lands on grass etc the soaking with water dilutes it enough to render it harmless.

Slippy I wouldn't bother with Patio Magic mate. A 2 or 3 to 1 hypo mix of 14-15% hypo is by far the best, quickest and cheapest way and it gets rid of black lichens and everything else. Just apply with care after pre soaking surrounding areas, leave half hour, pressure clean and soak again.

As long as you're aware of the killing power of hypo and guard against it with lots of water before and after there's nothing better than hypo

Spoke to a gardener. The block paving (that's what I assume it is in top photo)  shouldn't be pressure washed.   I will sweep kiln dried sand into gaps next time I go round the flats for my maintenance work. 

Someone said about paying lots of money if softwashing goes wrong.  Well  was asked to pressure wash the block paving so if the block of flats or property management company tried to sue me- where's their evidence?   It was months ago, where's the photo evidence of me holding pressure washer I have told the guy I liase him with orally that I did it but I tell him things all the time, he'll never remember. And oral means nothing if not recorded.  I would deny and say I used chemicals.  It's a driveway for a block of flats and would cost a fortune.   I don't like lying but this is what everyone does.  There's a reason public liability insurance is cheap- people rarely use it because it's so difficult for customers to prove.  Regarding hypo damage- yes the previous gardener killed all the grass, but I think he was an idiot and chucked a bucket of the stuff on the patio which seeped into the grass.   And how much would it cost to lay a bit of grass?  Not much I would have thought.   I don't like taking this attitude, and I try to be careful but I think cusotmers have to accept stuff happens.

I called my public liability insurance company and they said off the shelf chemicals are ok.  Not sure if hypo is classed as off the shelf.  if it isn't just say it was patio magic.   I said is my pressure washing covered and they wanted another £80 . I said  I thought a cheap pressure washer was covered under gardening and they haven't got back.  I guess I need to call and check what's going on with pressure washer cover.

the safest way is presoak all vegetation with water and again after clean.

That way if you're careful u can apply with a watering can or even a pump sprayer (bit slow though), pressure clean and if any hypo lands on grass etc the soaking with water dilutes it enough to render it harmless.

Slippy I wouldn't bother with Patio Magic mate. A 2 or 3 to 1 hypo mix of 14-15% hypo is by far the best, quickest and cheapest way and it gets rid of black lichens and everything else. Just apply with care after pre soaking surrounding areas, leave half hour, pressure clean and soak again.

As long as you're aware of the killing power of hypo and guard against it with lots of water before and after there's nothing better than hypo

You pressure wash the hypo after not rinse with a hose?  You reapply as well, I guess if the stains are bad

Interesting view of liability.

RE hypo - I was talking in general terms about safeguards to prevent killing plants, grass etc.

Was also talking in general terms about potential for causing other types of damage with hypo if for example it splashed on wood, fencing, benches. sealed surfaces e.g. limestone deliberately blackened/ darkened with colour enhancing sealer, terracotta tiles, painted metal like cars and so on.

If used inappropriately it will cause serious damage to some surfaces. Simple as that.

RE your pictures, yes it is block paving and by looks of them doesn't need hypo.

Yout gardener doesn't know what he's talking about. Of course you pressure wash it. Don't blast the hell out of the joints but inevitably jointing sand will be lost as they need to be cleaned and are where the weeds grow.

What u dont want is to disturb the bedding sand and flood it but u won't unless an idiot.

When dry u refill joints with kiln dried sand.

If u want sand to stay in place - which it needs to be as it affects the integrity of the whole structure and is a fundamental ingredient of the build process as it helps spread the weight of vehicles across the drive and creates friction between blocks.

Without sand over time blocks will work loose then break and this will spread across drive if not dealt with.

So u then seal the surface to stabilise or harden the sand.

THAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO - and that is what u say to customers when they ask u and let them decide what they want. If they don't want to pay for sealing so be it.

pic 2 - I'd hypo then pressure wash. Simple. Easy job and no complications.

I'd hypo then softwash delicate surfaces like sandstone but not slabs cos they're robust enough. But u could soft wash them.

This is what hypo'd / soft washed Indian Sandstone looks like

indian-sandstone-patio-cleaning.jpg

This is what a pressure cleaned, resanded and ssealed block paving drive should look like

block-paving-cleaning-and-sealing.jpg

Its not rocket science u just need to know what can be pressure washed and what cant and what chemicals to use and on what.

Get it right and it can very profitable for the spring and summer.

Get it wrong and you're f___ed

As for liability, if you're confident about what you're doing agree all jobs in writing.

Otherwise stick to the 'I never said that , I never did that' approach but don't expect it to work....what about all the residents and neighbours who looked out of the window to see what was going on and WOULD get spoken to if was going to court.

I must say I can't see what could go wrong with jobs in pics but that as a general philosophy to litigation won't do u any favours.

And worst case scenario a determined insurance company investigator that could easily be used in expensive cases (not these jobs) would I'm sure look into your social media, forums and other online history and find comments like the ones in this post.

As I say, not in his job pics are from but it's very possible in costly cases. Anyone who doesn't think so is frankly naive.

Worth bearing in mind

Great post and thanks.   When you talk about sealing the sand in my block paving photos ( I assume you're referring to the photos in my first post on this thread not the ones you posted) after brushing sand in do you put silicon like the stuff used in bathrooms on the top of gap with a gun and smoothed over with finger?

You mentioned pressure wash the hypo after spraying it on.  Hypo is dangerous to us wouldn't that spray a dangerous chemical onto our skin and eyes?   When I used hypo once I used a hose to gently rinse it off.  

Interesting point about what to spray with hypo and what not to.  I guess if in doubt do spray.   I guess any concrete paving slabs or block paving is fine to receive hypo same as white painted walls (probably cladded)  .   These are the surfaces I might spray.   

Why did you say the block paving in the photo shouldn't be hypo'd? 

Might do a course, heard a place in Bristol offers one

Great post and thanks.   When you talk about sealing the sand in my block paving photos ( I assume you're referring to the photos in my first post on this thread not the ones you posted) after brushing sand in do you put silicon like the stuff used in bathrooms on the top of gap with a gun and smoothed over with finger?

You mentioned pressure wash the hypo after spraying it on.  Hypo is dangerous to us wouldn't that spray a dangerous chemical onto our skin and eyes?   When I used hypo once I used a hose to gently rinse it off.  

Interesting point about what to spray with hypo and what not to.  I guess if in doubt do spray.   I guess any concrete paving slabs or block paving is fine to receive hypo same as white painted walls (probably cladded)  .   These are the surfaces I might spray.   

Why did you say the block paving in the photo shouldn't be hypo'd? 

Might do a course, heard a place in Bristol offers one
this is a wind up surely?-if its not then i'm sorry slippy you should not be doing any of this kinda work as it comes across that you have absolutely no idea on what you are doing, and that is dangerous to yourself and others,courses give you some knowledge but not it all and in the wrong hands this "knowledge" can be even more dangerous to others I see them most days on facebook-theyv'e done a course and suddenly they are experts on everything

you have to do your own research as it has been said before,this way you gain a better understanding-its all there on the tinternet to read

Again I agree with Kevin and the overriding point to make is if in doubt DO NOT spray. That's the point. Be careful.

And Benz is good site and very informative and look at Youtube for block paving resanding and sealing vids.

Back