Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Booster pump for 4040

Do I have to buy one for £240 or is there a cheaper alternative?

thanks.
I don't know what booster pump you are looking at for £240 but the one that is most recommended is this one from MachineMart

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum/

It has its own inbuilt electronic controller.

A while back someone pointed out that this pump was the same pump as used on a booster pump with a tank. He says he has used it successfully on it own (without the bladder tank) but it has to be manually operated.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/051012200/

I have no experience with this so I can't recommend it personally.

If it works then you could add an electronic controller

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-epc800-electronic-water-pump-control-un/

are these booster pumps noisy, thinking of getting one for my van set upbut dont want something too noisy!

Yes they are and they will resonate inside your van. Annoying neighbours has been one complaint I've heard.

I use a slightly smaller 800 pump as a transfer pump. I can hear it down the street when the garage door is open. If it was on for a few hours I'm sure we would have complaints.

Yes they are and they will resonate inside your van. Annoying neighbours has been one complaint I've heard.

I use a slightly smaller 800 pump as a transfer pump. I can hear it down the street when the garage door is open. If it was on for a few hours I'm sure we would have complaints.
Cheers pal agh I’ll stick to 2-3 hours filling 5-600 litres then while its quiet?

I’ve been looking at this one, has anyone else got one ?

[mention=1930]Green Pro Clean Ltd[/mention]has one and has a video of it in use somewhere. Again its manually operated.
I’ve got the genie pump too. Nice bit of kit although it can make some random loud noises at times (I assume when a neighbour runs a tap or such like). I’ve had it around 2 1/2 years without fault. Mines semi automated with a pressflo pressure switch and linked to a solenoid on the waste. I just have to run it (pure to waste) for 3 minutes to clear the pure line and make sure the pressure switch doesn’t turn off the pump.
I also have the one Gardiner used to sell - think it’s a wortex? It’s twice the size of the genie and seems better made but I have no complaints with the genie - it’s the one I’ve stuck with anyway.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Cheers chaps.

Can anyone think of a way of increasing pressure without increasing flow?

Cheers chaps.

Can anyone think of a way of increasing pressure without increasing flow?

I get the feeling that there is a lot more behind you asking this question than first meets the eye.

If your water pressure coming in is 40 psi the only way to boost it is with a booster pump. Increased pressure will mean increased water requirement for the duration of time the booster pump is on. But using a booster will usually mean that the time processing your water requirements will be shorter. Because the booster is aiding the r/o to be more efficient, overall water usage should be a little less than without a booster.

If you don't want to consider a booster pump for whatever reason, cost, noise, whatever else, then the only way is to make the most use of what you have. If you have a low supply rate to your property, then restricting the waste will help to keep the pressure higher, but it will come at a cost - producing water less efficiently sacrifices membrane longevity and increases resin use.

There have been issues in the past where tenants haven't paid their water bills so the water board has turned off the tenants water. Legally, they can't turn it off completely, but they can severely reduce the water flow to the property so the tenant has just enough for their basic requirements.

This is an issue where the cause of the problem has to be resolved. If not, then that person would have to buy their daily wfp requirements form an outside source.

When first deciding an an r/o, lets say a 4040, then we need to conside 2 factors. What water pressure do we have and what flow of water do we have at the supply tap in liters per minute.

At 50psi we have a flow rate of 13lpm from the garden tap. Using an HF5 membrane we produce 2 liters of pure and 2 liters of waste per minute. So our r/o consumes 4lpm of tap water. So we have a reserve of 9lpm for household use. But if the water is drawn from another tap, say the bath, then the pressure reduces drastically to the r/o. Its for a short period so I don't particularily bother. If the wife decides to put the sprinkler on the garden in summer, then I will switch the r/o off and wait for later in the evening before switching it back on again.

I'm sure that Gardiners listed a minimum requirement of 9lpm of water flow from the tap when fitting a booster pump.

Thanks Spruce.

My issue is everything, in short.

On a bore hole, that gives a TDS of 560. This has low pressure, sub 40psi. I’ve already found the end of the water supply, after flushing the 4040.

My TDS after ro is between 50 and 60. 

This really needs to come down as   we’re using 2000l a day, 7 days a week at the moment. Getting through lots of resin.

If I run a booster pump, I’m guessing I’ll be draining the bore hole sooner, which is a nightmare and not good for sediment filters etc. 

Perhaps if I resticted the flow, and then boosted the water, I may get a lower TDS with lower production?

or buy pallets of resin......

Thanks Spruce.

My issue is everything, in short.

On a bore hole, that gives a TDS of 560. This has low pressure, sub 40psi. I’ve already found the end of the water supply, after flushing the 4040.

My TDS after ro is between 50 and 60. 

This really needs to come down as   we’re using 2000l a day, 7 days a week at the moment. Getting through lots of resin.

If I run a booster pump, I’m guessing I’ll be draining the bore hole sooner, which is a nightmare and not good for sediment filters etc. 

Perhaps if I resticted the flow, and then boosted the water, I may get a lower TDS with lower production?

or buy pallets of resin......
Your r/o needs a certain amount of water to perform. If it doesn't get it then it won't work. You can't do what you suggested.

The only other solution is to try to find a unit with a decent water supply or buy it in.

Latest Posts

Back