Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Uni Valve o rings how do I get them off

Mcsandlaly

I have had a couple of these on both poles for over a year but had to change the hose recently due to leaks at the base of the pole and could not get the metal o clips off the uni valves as they were obviously a bit rusty after use and wet! How do you guys get them off? I tried a hacksaw in the end but still struggled and snapped my uni valve. Gutted money down the drain. Thanks for your suggestions and advice, appreciate it.

I’ve done mine with a dremel and a hacksaw - with the hacksaw cut the clip on both sides so it just falls off. To avoid it in future I’ve put short tails on each end then used push fit connectors on either end, that way I can change it on the job as I’ve had one fail whilst working and it caught me out

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have had a couple of these on both poles for over a year but had to change the hose recently due to leaks at the base of the pole and could not get the metal o clips off the uni valves as they were obviously a bit rusty after use and wet! How do you guys get them off? I tried a hacksaw in the end but still struggled and snapped my uni valve. Gutted money down the drain. Thanks for your suggestions and advice, appreciate it.
I've done the exact same thing, it is gutting. When my replacement comes I'm using the same suggestion mentioned previously, using push fittings either side so I can remove easily if needed.

Also I've seen it mentioned about using cable ties rather than o clips. Not sure what the general consensus is on it but I've found they do just as good a job, don't rust, can be purchased everywhere, and are way easier to remove after... whatever you prefer I guess

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It is possible to nibble them off with O ring pliers if they are clamping a hose to a metal hosetail like a rectus for example, but you need to be very careful with the Univalve as the hosetails are plastic and can be crushed easily when trying to remove O clips this way as a few of us have found out.

Before I started using PU pole hose I used to cut mine off with a dremmel and small cutting disc.

Tip: If you use PU pole hose try not using O clips. I've not used them, or any kind of clamp includung cable ties for quite some time now and never had the hose come off. I don't know what it is about PU hose, it just seems to grip tighter when you pull on it.

Note: It doesn't work with PVC hose, only with PU hose

Dave where do you put your tap then? 
At the end of your pole hose. I use rectus connectors so I get a tap that’s got a 6mm tail on one end that goes in the pole hose and a rectus male on the other end that will connect to my female rectus on my reel hose. I also put ball protectors(practise golf balls) either side to protect the tap and stop snagging as much. If you don’t like the idea of bending down all the time you can buy holsters that hold the tap on your belt.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back