James Turner

Which Squeegee would be best?

James Turner

Just got a new job in the country, an old farmhouse, as you can see in the pictures. They are old sash and case windows with wooden frames. Really don't want to use my liqudator on these ones as it'll probably get chewed up. What would you guys recommend as the best squeegee for this type of job?

e89be494c982eac9cee83576982bb27ec85a5836.jpg

f21607f476643ffaf7a5b3b648b72527b5d36fb8.jpg

albootyerbaws

any 12 inch then chuck rubber away at the end or turn it round.

rugbywolf
1 hour ago, James Turner said:

Just got a new job in the country, an old farmhouse, as you can see in the pictures. They are old sash and case windows with wooden frames. Really don't want to use my liqudator on these ones as it'll probably get chewed up. What would you guys recommend as the best squeegee for this type of job?

e89be494c982eac9cee83576982bb27ec85a5836.jpg

f21607f476643ffaf7a5b3b648b72527b5d36fb8.jpg

When I started using RazR red rubbers I was the same, but they last longer than ordinary rubbers and cost about the same, so I just carry on, I have done one today like this and it was fine, it has not affected the rubber. Having said that, it all depends on the condition of the wood. If it is rough, putty missing etc, then a liquidator won't be able to do it very well, so when it's like that, out comes my trusty old 'Dog-eared' brass with ordinary rubbers, and that does a great job.

scottish cleaning service

What about a 6" squeegee? I dogeared mine and cut rubber right up to metal at ends, no detailing now. In fact all my squeegees are the same now, only took me a year to find out!

James Turner
4 hours ago, Clisty1989 said:

Unger s plus channel, not 0 detailing, but not far off

I do have an s plus. I'll have to dig it out.

3 minutes ago, James Turner said:

I do have an s plus. I'll have to dig it out.

I have s plus but my dogeared unger seems to be better. I think the s plus is angled just a bit to much. Another thing to try is cutting the rubber inline with the metal channel at both ends, makes detailing non-existent I found out.

rugbywolf
2 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I have s plus but my dogeared unger seems to be better. I think the s plus is angled just a bit to much. Another thing to try is cutting the rubber inline with the metal channel at both ends, makes detailing non-existent I found out.

There is a  danger that you can catch the frame doing that.

12 hours ago, rugbywolf said:

There is a  danger that you can catch the frame doing that.

practiced on my own windows and doesn't seem to be the case. The glass is always surrounded by rubber but I will let you know after my round at end of month. Thx m

Eric Gilliand

Although obviously not ideal for the Liquidator I use a 10 or a 12 with Razor rubber. I simply can’t pass on the confidence that the plastic ends gives when using against painted wood. You’re not going to get zero detailing so don’t try and just stay a few mm off the frame if they’re really rough.

mike007

Would use my liquidator with my razr red as normal, if rubber needed replacing after...so what,you do not expect the same piece of rubber to last your entire  window cleaning career do you!.

Remember Trigger and his old broom in Only Fools and Horses!!!!

GF Window Cleaning

I would just use whatever you use for everything else. For me that would be the liquidators with unger soft, If for some reason I had to use a different channel then the s plus with the same rubber would be my tool. Some people get worried about snagging there rubber and having to replace it but for me I just use it for whatever needs done should that be pvc, wood, leaded glass or whatever and when it needs replacing it gets replaced, no big deal. The only thing I wouldn't use it for is cleaning down a concrete sill. Rubber is relatively cheap so don't waist time changing back and forth unless it's completely finish