Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Purified water freezing

Dezo

Hi guys

just reading about the weather hitting us next week. Always causes me a problem. 

I use an oil filled heater over night so no worries their, our problems start when we arrive on jobs, the reels freeze as soon as you reel em out! Then the brush head freezes and so on. Any ideas what we can put in the purified water to stop this winter fixture??

Does iso really work though I tried it years ago and it was hit and miss, still got a tub in the garage from over 7 years ago

I always keep water running once connected to pole so jets don't freeze but i had it freezing at the rectus fitting last year

Last edited by a moderator:
I use jg pushfit connectors in winter instead of rectus as the metal draws the heat out and always freezes there for me

Ipa is good but you need a lot of it to stop freezing

At least a litre or more in your tank

I use jg pushfit connectors in winter instead of rectus as the metal draws the heat out and always freezes there for me
Ipa is good but you need a lot of it to stop freezing
At least a litre or more in your tank
Good idea dave I had sacked them off in past due to them leaking might have some in the garage so will sort out some hose this weekend.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

No idea, I don't use it but their could be a potential risk with painted aluminium frames.

If it's - 3 at 8am for a few days next week I will take me dog out for a decent walk and start late, the roads will be full of idiots who can't drive anyway ?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Unusually they say it’s the east and south east that’s going to be hit worst next week. 

Im going out around 10 on Monday and if I have any grief with freezing, then cobblers to it, will have a few days off until it passes.

First of March on Wednesday which is the first day of meteorological spring. The better weather will soon be here ?

Unusually they say it’s the east and south east that’s going to be hit worst next week. 

Im going out around 10 on Monday and if I have any grief with freezing, then cobblers to it, will have a few days off until it passes.

First of March on Wednesday which is the first day of meteorological spring. The better weather will soon be here ?
Make that Thursday  :1f609:

I put some IPA in my tank last night done one this morning and it seemed to bubble up a bit is that normal when using IPA

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I put some IPA in my tank last night done one this morning and it seemed to bubble up a bit is that normal when using IPA

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Don't even worry about it

It will be 100% fine

I've used IPA twice this winter, to the recommended use 1l for 600l. The first time water just froze on the window  :1f61e:  and the second time (yesterday) my brush froze, I'm not impressed.
Is this why?

Using Isopropyl Alcohol to prevent water from freezing:

10% alcohol:90% water will reduce the freezing point of water from 0 deg C to –3 deg C.

20% alcohol:80% water will reduce the freezing point of water from 0 deg C to –7 deg C.

40% alcohol:60% water will reduce the freezing point of water from 0 deg C to –20 deg C

At these sorts of mixes water will not freeze at its normal 0 Deg C.

Back