Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Think I scratched a window using bronze wool pad

WCF

Help Support WCF:

buzzing

Been using the bronze wool pads on a Gardiner scraper and they're amazing on pvc and for getting off stubborn stains on glass. The things is I scratched two windows already with it.  The first one was  because of grit I could see then today I think I scratched window again on the middle.  Couldn't see any grit. How do I deal with this? 

. Rinse under a tap? Carry a bit of glass which I could rub against it as a tester? 

I feel like replacing the glass for them, is that easy to do? 

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

Not being funny but it's no wonder you scratched the glass theres no way on earth id be using bronze wool like you are on a gardiner scrapper attached to my brush, Every time you clean a window all the bits of grit from the brick work would fall onto the bronze wool. Keep it separate in the van or in a pocket. Them scrapers are deadly used along side a brush there out in the open all day its no wonder they get clogged up with grit. I now keep a separate old clx in the van with a gardiner scrapper on it and use that solely for scrapping with some non scratch white pads. I know its a pain going back to the van for it but saves scratching windows. Just my way of doing things. 

That's the last thing one wants accused of, scratching window glass. Better to leave the stain on because through time it will disappear. Another thing is to leave a wet rag against the window stain for 5mins and then brush or clean like normal.

Not being funny but it's no wonder you scratched the glass theres no way on earth id be using bronze wool like you are on a gardiner scrapper attached to my brush, Every time you clean a window all the bits of grit from the brick work would fall onto the bronze wool. Keep it separate in the van or in a pocket. Them scrapers are deadly used along side a brush there out in the open all day its no wonder they get clogged up with grit. I now keep a separate old clx in the van with a gardiner scrapper on it and use that solely for scrapping with some non scratch white pads. I know its a pain going back to the van for it but saves scratching windows. Just my way of doing things. 
Or use the one on it permanently for pvc only.   And one in pocket for stains.   How do u clean the bronze wool anyway? 

Nonscratch white pads? 

I am gonna carry a piece of glass to test it on.  Not sure where I'll find a bit though

Last edited by a moderator:
Or use the one on it permanently for pvc only.   And one in pocket for stains.   How do u clean the bronze wool anyway? 

Nonscratch white pads? 

I am gonna carry a piece of glass to test it on.  Not sure where I'll find a bit though
Don't carrying around a piece of glass im your pocket it's dangerous. 

Well once its got grit in its hardly gonna come out even swilled under a tap thats why i use white non scratch pads cheap on ebay then if the stain still isnt coming off a quick spray of ubik on the pad will shift it. 

This is why its necessary to keep the pads clean in the van or a closed pocket. I think them gardiner scrapers used on the brush are bad news and just accident prone for scratches.

I hardly ever have to use anything to clean the frames after the first clean there normally fine with just a clean with the brush. 

You can get non scratch pads off ebay buy spray the window first never use them dry

Stopped using the Gardiner Super Scraper for this reason. Not worth the risk as I've scratched a few, not as bad as what you've done though, that looks deep. Never needed it since just soak up and leave till last then it comes off

Stopped using the Gardiner Super Scraper for this reason. Not worth the risk as I've scratched a few, not as bad as what you've done though, that looks deep. Never needed it since just soak up and leave till last then it comes off
I live on the coast and seagull  :1f4a9: 3 floors up won't come off with just WFP, no matter how long you soak it for. I use the Gardiners Scraper and, as yet, never had a complaint. Hopefully haven't tempted fate.

Going to carry one of these to test it before using on glass. 

The Gardiners scraper I have but its blunt.  U use that without any brillo? DSC_0219.JPG

Just had my first complaint about scratches.   I didn't use bronze wool pad on them but did use brush on a metal fascia before hand. I always run brush through hand before using to clean it.  Is this best way? . Could that have caused it?  I don't remember seeing scratches before or after either but could have been dark. I traded inside and went over outside again trad. 

What do I say to customer?  I honestly don't know if I did it or not

Screenshot_20180227-174856.png

Don't carrying around a piece of glass im your pocket it's dangerous. 

Well once its got grit in its hardly gonna come out even swilled under a tap thats why i use white non scratch pads cheap on ebay then if the stain still isnt coming off a quick spray of ubik on the pad will shift it. 

This is why its necessary to keep the pads clean in the van or a closed pocket. I think them gardiner scrapers used on the brush are bad news and just accident prone for scratches.

I hardly ever have to use anything to clean the frames after the first clean there normally fine with just a clean with the brush. 

You can get non scratch pads off ebay buy spray the window first never use them dry
Got a link for non scratch pads? 

never use any scraper or pad on dry glass or one will scratch it. It says one must have water on glass before scraping. Another thing I found out, one only moves in a forward direction and then lift scraper off and start again.

going by the direction of the cuts in the glass, I'm sure you did it, when you moved the brush horizontally across the glass. How else could they have got there? I would buy a new unit and fit it in, less than £60.

unless there is something sharp stuck to the bottom of your brush head?

never use any scraper or pad on dry glass or one will scratch it. It says one must have water on glass before scraping. Another thing I found out, one only moves in a forward direction and then lift scraper off and start again.

going by the direction of the cuts in the glass, I'm sure you did it, when you moved the brush horizontally across the glass. How else could they have got there? I would buy a new unit and fit it in, less than £60.

unless there is something sharp stuck to the bottom of your brush head?

How could a brush have done the bottom photo?  How do I check if my brush is safe in future?  Or the brillo on my trad applicator.  I did wfp and trad on outside.   I always use them on wet glass but drag back and forth.    This is a nightmare.  My first post on this thread would have been bronze wool pad probably.  The guy with scratched patio glass is a serious anal **** hole.   I haven't admitted it just said didn't see them before or after I did window and it was a bit dark outside. 

How could a brush have done the bottom photo?  How do I check if my brush is safe in future?  This is a nightmare.  My first post on this thread would have been bronze wool pad probably.  The guy with scratched patio glass is a serious anal **** hole.   I haven't admitted it just said didn't see them before or after I did window and it was a bit dark outside. 
sorry thought it was a window. If it was dark, then it's hard to see things and mistakes happen. I would trad patio doors from now on. Call some pvc window makers and ask if they have any mis measure glass door units?

sorry thought it was a window. If it was dark, then it's hard to see things and mistakes happen. I would trad patio doors from now on. Call some pvc window makers and ask if they have any mis measure glass door units?
Could also be scourer on end of trad applicator as I both wfp and traded this bottom patio door.  I am checking all tools on my cosmetic mirror from now on before putting on glass.    

The patio door is aluminium so maybe harder to change.  The first one just pvc. 

If this becomes a public liability case how do I handle it?  He hasn't paid.  I still haven't found a glazer but looking. He seems impatient for me to do his windows on Monday.  

Thinking of ditching him as well as he's always been a pain in the ass customer.  He'd be the kind of guy who photographs all his windows from now on. 

Back