Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much quicker is cleaning with hot water?

I only use my hot water system when it’s icy. I don’t find it any quicker to actually clean the windows, however, it’s much easier (hence quicker) winding the hoses in and out as they are much more supple and of course, lovely on the hands

Hot water is definitely quicker particularly on bird muck salty windows it’s less than half the time , much quicker on first cleans and plastic cleans we use it all the time now you might get the same results with cold but it will take you longer especially when it’s cold 

Sorry to be off topic, but have you ever had any cracked windows when working hot in cold weather?
I've got my setup for several years now and still haven't used it, because:
A: bottles aren't welcome near chargers and replacing comes a bit steep imo;
B: Not sure if i could rely on boiler's winter setting due to temperature difference of glass and water; and
C: window/door constantly open when operational due to unwilling to drill my van(although side door stays open because of hose).

Sorry to be off topic, but have you ever had any cracked windows when working hot in cold weather?
I've got my setup for several years now and still haven't used it, because:
A: bottles aren't welcome near chargers and replacing comes a bit steep imo;
B: Not sure if i could rely on boiler's winter setting due to temperature difference of glass and water; and
C: window/door constantly open when operational due to unwilling to drill my van(although side door stays open because of hose).

Yes two in two in four years both had damage to them already there is a post on hear earlier of someone putting boiling water on a window at -4 no problem , as long as you keep the brush moving should be fine 

Yes two in two in four years both had damage to them already there is a post on hear earlier of someone putting boiling water on a window at -4 no problem , as long as you keep the brush moving should be fine 
Thanks. I saw it just after I replied here. Very good video, but his attempts are imo on 3-4mm thick and relatively new glass while the reality sometimes is listed building with 2mm single glaze that has already "leaked" and these are gold diggers on insurance. He did prove the point to me though and am more relaxed now, as long as it comes down to double glazed units :D.

The first time I used hot water I found I did work faster. However, I think this was because I was still building my confidence in cleaning with pure water and getting to grips with how much water I actually needed to clean a window effectively. I was actually still using quite a lot and found with hot I didn’t need as much to get the job done, or so I thought. When I switched back to cold at the end of winter I got the same results working the same way with the cold. It taught me a valuable lesson in not wasting water.

I will say it does get some bird muck and other marks off quicker but if you don’t have a big problem with either of these which I don’t, it’s not worth the extra cost. I use it during winter on the coldest days only.

To put this in context, I don’t work near the coast and all my work is residential.

Thanks. I saw it just after I replied here. Very good video, but his attempts are imo on 3-4mm thick and relatively new glass while the reality sometimes is listed building with 2mm single glaze that has already "leaked" and these are gold diggers on insurance. He did prove the point to me though and am more relaxed now, as long as it comes down to double glazed units :D.

We do do all kinds of properties including stuff for the national trust and English heratage with very old hand made glass in some we have never had a problem with this I accept we treat it with respect but it’s double glazed modern units that we have had issues with not single glazed or old glass : strange really but there you go 

Old double glazed windows aren't that efficient and won't crack. Old single glazed are the same so again doubt they will crack. The modern A rated double glazed would however worry me as I've cleaned them and they have frozen when the old one besides didn't 

Cracked a double glazed one last winter. It was -3 and ive accidently hit the dial on full heat , guessing it was 65-70 degrees celcius . Anyway the custy just Said no problems ,as they got a lot of extras lying aroung on that farmhouse. 

I use hot water all the time and it is definitely quicker. Gets fly poo off faster as well as bird poo. And in the winter system doesn't freeze up because of frost stat. 

PS I dont use it really hot. 40 - 45 degrees C is hot enough and never cracked a window yet. 

We do do all kinds of properties including stuff for the national trust and English heratage with very old hand made glass in some we have never had a problem with this I accept we treat it with respect but it’s double glazed modern units that we have had issues with not single glazed or old glass : strange really but there you go 
the old hand drawn glass is   totally different to the new stuff    

I wouldn’t go back to cold water myself, I only use a cheap propane water heater but it does a great job and a 19kg gas bottle costs me £25-£30 once a month.

nothing worse than when it runs out while I’m working though I instantly feel it in the pole my fingers start to feel colder, the hose gets all stiff and a pain to wind in and the brush feels stiffer on the glass to me, I cant confirm if that’s true but when it’s hot it definitely feels like scrubbing and rinsing is easier whether hot water is less viscious I don’t know?

hot helps with dirty first cleans, bird muck, egg and the little yellow fly stuff we get in summer!!

sometimes in winter I wonder how I worked with cold, I tend to heat it at around 45-50 degrees max and I reckon by time its coming out the brush I’m looking at 20-30 degrees with heat loss through the reel, I wouldn’t go much hotter as I’ve done that when I first started and cracked a small window but that was about 60-70 degrees and the weather was minus 2-3 a few years ago I’d just started using it!!

I completely agree. I hate it when my hot water stops working usually because my battery needs charging. I also agree about the temperature, I stick to around 45 degrees and have not had any problems so far after a year and a half. Mine runs off my diesel tank so I have no idea what it costs to run but it does not appear to be much.  I love it and would never choose to go back to working with cold water. I am sure I am faster with the hot water with less effort.

Back