Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water on frozen windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just to advise, a much bigger concern should be excess spill off freezing to patios/driveways, or anywhere. We cleaned a conservatory the other week. No ice on roads so didn’t even think we had a problem. Air temperature was well below zero though as we soon found out. all the excess water from cleaning turned the patio in to an ice rink (shaded area) sun not likely to get on it til mid afternoon and even then it may not have warmed enough to make a difference. Big safety hazard. We had to tell the customers to stay well clear of the garden and use the front door only. Big mistake but a lesson learned. If theres any sign of sub zero temperatures its business closed from now on. I just cant have slips hazards and broken bones on my conscience. And i dont fancy getting sued [emoji51] potentially looking at a week off next week if it lasts...

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just to advise, a much bigger concern should be excess spill off freezing to patios/driveways, or anywhere. We cleaned a conservatory the other week. No ice on roads so didn’t even think we had a problem. Air temperature was well below zero though as we soon found out. all the excess water from cleaning turned the patio in to an ice rink (shaded area) sun not likely to get on it til mid afternoon and even then it may not have warmed enough to make a difference. Big safety hazard. We had to tell the customers to stay well clear of the garden and use the front door only. Big mistake but a lesson learned. If theres any sign of sub zero temperatures its business closed from now on. I just cant have slips hazards and broken bones on my conscience. And i dont fancy getting sued
emoji51.png
potentially looking at a week off next week if it lasts...

I bought some grit yesterday, any puddles I'm just gonna chuck some down to stop it freezing, did it on a Conny roof job last year, worked quite well. My other option is to crack the trad pole out.

Just to advise, a much bigger concern should be excess spill off freezing to patios/driveways, or anywhere. We cleaned a conservatory the other week. No ice on roads so didn’t even think we had a problem. Air temperature was well below zero though as we soon found out. all the excess water from cleaning turned the patio in to an ice rink (shaded area) sun not likely to get on it til mid afternoon and even then it may not have warmed enough to make a difference. Big safety hazard. We had to tell the customers to stay well clear of the garden and use the front door only. Big mistake but a lesson learned. If theres any sign of sub zero temperatures its business closed from now on. I just cant have slips hazards and broken bones on my conscience. And i dont fancy getting sued
emoji51.png
potentially looking at a week off next week if it lasts...

Having a week off because it is cold us mental

Loads of options like grit etc or even tradding the windows in the area where it is dodgy

Never a reason I won't/can't work except extreme wind/rain

Having a week off because it is cold us mental
Loads of options like grit etc or even tradding the windows in the area where it is dodgy
Never a reason I won't/can't work except extreme wind/rain
Id need a hell of a lot of grit lads, + all the expense of it and mucking around. A lot of people i bet wouldn’t want grit chucked all over their property and would only start groaning. I went out before and tradded a bungalow and had to clean some windows 3 times as the water froze to the glass as soon as i took the applicator over it. A lot of windows are too high for my trad pole or simply inaccessible without wfp. Too many extensions, connys,loft windows etc etc. Im not happy about it dont get me wrong. got bills to pay, but this is seasonal work to an extent. when the goings good i tuck money away. Besides the di vessels need to come inside also, as well as the poles/hoses, before they all split. Garage far away from flat and has no heating. And like i said. All it takes is one slip and some old dears gone over and youre in court. Not worth it for me. And the guilt of it that would come, bad reputation etc...one week at the end of february is manageable, winter has been generously fair so far. Im just hoping it dont last

I think I'll probably be going out a bit later 10-4pm maybe, we've had a few really cold days and I've just wiped front doors rather than wfp, and I carry a grit bucket and trowel in the van, and use as and when required. I've got quite a few flats on this week with lots of grassed areas so no real safety issues.
Gotta keep moving on.[emoji301] [emoji301] [emoji301]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I Always have a can of road salt in my van in winter. Then just use it at the path the residents walks at. Very inexpensive and prevents any lawsuits they could throw at me .

Looks like a nightmare this week but as ive learned its not over till its over, until it becomes impossible i will be out trying to clean windows.

I never predict beforehand Adam.....I get up then decide....had it before with sh*t forecasts only to wake up to nice weather.

Back