Moor

Fair pricing for block paving clean?

Moor

I am pricing up my first job, obviously I want to get the job so I’m keen to keep prices as reasonable as possible without under charging.

95 square meters of block paving, dirty and covered in lichen.

I'm looking at charging £2.50/square metre for cleaning with hypo on the lichen, £3.50/square metre for cleaning and sanding and £6/square metre for cleaning, sanding and sealing with Resiblock trade. 

I don’t want to set myself up under charging and having to keep those prices up.

I'm in the West Midlands.

scottish cleaning service
2 hours ago, Moor said:

I am pricing up my first job, obviously I want to get the job so I’m keen to keep prices as reasonable as possible without under charging.

95 square meters of block paving, dirty and covered in lichen.

I'm looking at charging £2.50/square metre for cleaning with hypo on the lichen, £3.50/square metre for cleaning and sanding and £6/square metre for cleaning, sanding and sealing with Resiblock trade. 

I don’t want to set myself up under charging and having to keep those prices up.

I'm in the West Midlands.

I would go £3, £4 and £6 and then you could say £285 for cleaning but I will cut a deal and do it for £240. If you start off too cheap then you leave yourself no leeway and some folk always try and cut you down.

Edited by scottish cleaning service

Moor

That’s a good point, I have not accounted for bartering. 

£3, £4, £6 sounds like a good idea, I can offer 10-15% existing customer discount too.

Thanks.

padman

Mate I am in the West Midlands and last year I found out that £2.50 was way to much. Blokes knocking doors and doing it for pennies :(

Virtually given up with pressure washing.

6 minutes ago, Moor said:

That’s a good point, I have not accounted for bartering. 

£3, £4, £6 sounds like a good idea, I can offer 10-15% existing customer discount too.

Thanks.

I've got 30yrs experience in doing homers, the client will always want a good deal. Set your minimum price and never go a penny lower or walk away and they will probably call you back when they get more quotes. Whether you go back is up to you. I now realise I'm a strange character when it comes to work. If I don't like the customer, I don't work for them again but I have a pension and don't need their money. If on the other hand I like the customer, then I will do extra and don't charge them. I know it's not business sense but it's my sense and I never have any hassle now. cheers m

Moor
8 minutes ago, padman said:

Mate I am in the West Midlands and last year I found out that £2.50 was way to much. Blokes knocking doors and doing it for pennies :(

Virtually given up with pressure washing.

Where I am no one seems to be offering it, I have had customers asking if I will do it but I don't want to scare them off by going in too high, but I'm not going to do it for peanuts.  I'm looking at £100 for sand and £30 for hypo so I'm making £250 for 2 days work which isn't unreasonable.

Moor

I'm looking for an info sheet I can print off about the benefits of sealing but I can't find one. Anyone know where i can get one?

9 minutes ago, Moor said:

Where I am no one seems to be offering it, I have had customers asking if I will do it but I don't want to scare them off by going in too high, but I'm not going to do it for peanuts.  I'm looking at £100 for sand and £30 for hypo so I'm making £250 for 2 days work which isn't unreasonable.

£100 for sand? where is it coming from the sahara! one bag kiln dry will do & some left over

Moor
3 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

£100 for sand? where is it coming from the sahara! one bag kiln dry will do & some left over

Wickes, builders merchants, all seem to be around the £90 mark for 20 bags, plus delivery. Looking at coverage charts, 1 bag does around 5 square metres so i need 19 so I will get 20 just in case

1 minute ago, Moor said:

Wickes, builders merchants, all seem to be around the £90 mark for 20 bags, plus delivery. Looking at coverage charts, 1 bag does around 5 square metres so i need 19 so I will get 20 just in case

That's for fresh laid monoblocking but you are just cleaning it, so all you need is a sprinkle over the top. I powerwashed mine and used half a bag for 10 sq metres. Have you not got a place to practice on? It will give you some experience.

Moor
1 minute ago, scottish cleaning service said:

That's for fresh laid monoblocking but you are just cleaning it, so all you need is a sprinkle over the top. I powerwashed mine and used half a bag for 10 sq metres. Have you not got a place to practice on? It will give you some experience.

I see, hadn't appreciated that, I will likely need 10 then so more like £45 then.

I have quite a large block paved drive myself that needs doing so I'm planning to that first to give me a better understanding of products etc.

1 minute ago, Moor said:

I see, hadn't appreciated that, I will likely need 10 then so more like £45 then.

I have quite a large block paved drive myself that needs doing so I'm planning to that first to give me a better understanding of products etc.

Exactly, play around wi that and you will find the right strength of hypo. Then the sand you will need and here's the important bit, how much Resiblock it will take. It shows that you paint it on round edges and then use a roller. That will give you the time it takes and the amount you will need.

Moor

Looking at various methods the easiest looks like using a sprayer to give even coverage and holding a board around the edges so you don't overspray.

Thanks for the help.

3 hours ago, Moor said:

Looking at various methods the easiest looks like using a sprayer to give even coverage and holding a board around the edges so you don't overspray.

Thanks for the help.

i'm not a fan of spraying, you can do some damage to cars when the wind catches it and you don't even know till your phone rings wi the bad news, you have covered my car wi resiblock.

Roller is the best way, no accidental coverage but you will learn when you make mistakes, good luck.

Moor
40 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

i'm not a fan of spraying, you can do some damage to cars when the wind catches it and you don't even know till your phone rings wi the bad news, you have covered my car wi resiblock.

Roller is the best way, no accidental coverage but you will learn when you make mistakes, good luck.

I would only spray when theres no wind, There won't be cars at the property when i do the job, any risk though and i will roller it.

4 minutes ago, Moor said:

I would only spray when theres no wind, There won't be cars at the property when i do the job, any risk though and i will roller it.

I don't know what would happen if resiblock landed on the glass, would it come off?

Definitely a summer job so it dries quick, I guess.

Moor

I would be quite wary about spraying, you are putting me off more and more! I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go with sealant so I will play it by ear when I get their answer.

5 minutes ago, Moor said:

I would be quite wary about spraying, you are putting me off more and more! I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go with sealant so I will play it by ear when I get their answer.

keep away from spraying unless it is water and maybe ubik in it and you will be fine.

I'm only reminiscing all the accidents I have heard from years of experience which you have still to encounter. Sell them the resiblock and let them do it themselves that's what I would do.

K in Kent
On 2/26/2018 at 16:05, Moor said:

95sqm= 4-5 20kg kiln dried sand = approx £25

K in Kent

You wont need 10 bags of KDS or anything like that much - 5 at most.

To seal it with Resiblock Trade don't roll it on - spray it. Use pump sprayer and nothing could be easier. If you're worried about grass etc (not that u should be unless VERY clumsy) pre-wet grass.

Dont go putting anything in with sealer.

Advantages with Trade are that it is sprayable and saves lot of time. cheap and one coat system - it's not great mind u but budget sealers never are and is best in that price range.

Quality sealer like their Superior needs rolling / watering can / squeegee but is time consuming and unless know what you're doing will very likely pick up jointing sand and spread it all over the drive. Superior is also expensive and 2 coat system.

Don't need to paint on edges if spraying, just be careful.

For 95sqm you'll need 25 litre drum and best place for Reisblock sealants is here....

https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Products/00440058/EVE1348

Their Trade, Superior and Indian Sandstone invisible / colour enhancer are cheaper - especially sandstone sealers which are about £30+ cheaper per 5 litre can. 

Resiblock will also hit u with £20 delivery charge for 25 litres.

Worth noting that recommended application rates would need nearer 50 litres of Trade but those rates are excessive and unnecessary..

Hypo = 2 parts water 1 part hypo (if 14-15% strength)

CleanerWindows

keep away from spraying unless it is water and maybe ubik in it and you will be fine.
I'm only reminiscing all the accidents I have heard from years of experience which you have still to encounter. Sell them the resiblock and let them do it themselves that's what I would do.
I've rollered and sprayed.
Rolling.. you can pick the sand back out the joints on the roller which then rolls onto substrate. Nightmare.
Spraying.. great uniformed clean look.
Never had a problem with drift spray so can only guess that folk that have must have the spray nozzle to far from the substrate

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Moor

Some really great info there, thanks. My original estimate on sand was based using a calculator for newly laid blocks, I have since discovered it will be under half of that. I will probably get 6 or 7 bags just to be safe and whatever is leftover can be used on the next job.

The customer had initially decided against sealing as she was concerned it would make her patio shiny, I have explained it won’t so she will decide once we have set a date to do it, the recent **** weather has delayed doing it.

All the videos I have seen show spraying, does make sense that it gives the most even coverage, picking up sand again was one of my concerns. I can see what Scottish is saying though, experience is the best teacher, one bad experience is enough to convert most people. I would choose days without wind for sure and use a board to cover the edges. I recently did a first clean on a house that the owner has decided to treat his fence with cedar red fence treatment on a windy day, needless to say his windows were covered! 

Incheck

I just jet wash & re-sand. I dont re-seal. Its just another can of worms that could be opened. Most people aren’t prepared to pay for the labour on top of whats already been done either. And if it comes up some color or look they dont like then....what are you gonna do.
I just say if you want it re-sealed then pick your own sealant for the job, roll it on, and save yourself the extra labour cost. Then if it comes up with a look they dont want...its not on me.
But thats just my way of doing things.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

K in Kent

Sealants don't just come up some colour but you've got to understand what products you're using.

I've sealed every type of surface with every type of sealant and using every method...and I'm not talking about 1 here and there it's well into the 100s and I;ve never had a problem with sealants. (have rolled KDS onto the blocks and after that made sure that didn't happen again!! .. just use shorter pile roller when using sealants that have to be rolled)

If you understand the products, what they do, what effect if any they have on surfaces and which are suitable for which type of surface there's nothing to worry about and they are a great earner.

Must depend on parts of the country but I've never had a customer  that I can think of who hasn't wanted their blocking paving sealed after resanding. 

And don't forget it's esssential to stabilise the sand with a sealant, or use self setting sand, otherwise it gets washed out by the rain.

Problems arise when people don't research what they're using and don't understand the product range and what does what.

It's only with experience u learn which are the good ones because the reality is most sealers are waste of time, depending on your expectations of what they should do.

But there's nothing to fear. And something like Resiblock Trade the clue is in the product data sheets....dries clear.

Within 15 minutes of spraying it on you wouldn't think it had been touched. Goes on purple and disappears in minutes.

Things only go shiny if u use gloss/ wet look sealants but again clue is in the name.

Not working on windy days is gonna limit your availabilty somewhat. Like cleanerwindows says drift isn't a problem just don't have too far away or to wide a spray pattern. It's all common sense and research...and good money

Edited by K in Kent

Ben23
7 hours ago, K in Kent said:

But there's nothing to fear. And something like Resiblock Trade the clue is in the product data sheets....dries clear.

Within 15 minutes of spraying it on you wouldn't think it had been touched. Goes on purple and disappears in minutes.

Things only go shiny if u use gloss/ wet look sealants but again clue is in the name.

Resiblock trade is by far the best of the stabilising sealants in my opinion, Ive tried various others with a view to keeping costs down but they just arent as good, one coat and the sand is solid as a rock, I use a backpack sprayer and can have a large area done in no time, again its a case of not having the lance too far away from the surface and you wont be affected by wind drift