Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fair pricing for block paving clean?

Moor

I am pricing up my first job, obviously I want to get the job so I’m keen to keep prices as reasonable as possible without under charging.

95 square meters of block paving, dirty and covered in lichen.

I'm looking at charging £2.50/square metre for cleaning with hypo on the lichen, £3.50/square metre for cleaning and sanding and £6/square metre for cleaning, sanding and sealing with Resiblock trade. 

I don’t want to set myself up under charging and having to keep those prices up.

I'm in the West Midlands.

I am pricing up my first job, obviously I want to get the job so I’m keen to keep prices as reasonable as possible without under charging.

95 square meters of block paving, dirty and covered in lichen.

I'm looking at charging £2.50/square metre for cleaning with hypo on the lichen, £3.50/square metre for cleaning and sanding and £6/square metre for cleaning, sanding and sealing with Resiblock trade. 

I don’t want to set myself up under charging and having to keep those prices up.

I'm in the West Midlands.

I would go £3, £4 and £6 and then you could say £285 for cleaning but I will cut a deal and do it for £240. If you start off too cheap then you leave yourself no leeway and some folk always try and cut you down.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a good point, I have not accounted for bartering. 

£3, £4, £6 sounds like a good idea, I can offer 10-15% existing customer discount too.

Thanks.

Mate I am in the West Midlands and last year I found out that £2.50 was way to much. Blokes knocking doors and doing it for pennies :(

Virtually given up with pressure washing.

That’s a good point, I have not accounted for bartering. 

£3, £4, £6 sounds like a good idea, I can offer 10-15% existing customer discount too.

Thanks.

I've got 30yrs experience in doing homers, the client will always want a good deal. Set your minimum price and never go a penny lower or walk away and they will probably call you back when they get more quotes. Whether you go back is up to you. I now realise I'm a strange character when it comes to work. If I don't like the customer, I don't work for them again but I have a pension and don't need their money. If on the other hand I like the customer, then I will do extra and don't charge them. I know it's not business sense but it's my sense and I never have any hassle now. cheers m

Mate I am in the West Midlands and last year I found out that £2.50 was way to much. Blokes knocking doors and doing it for pennies :(

Virtually given up with pressure washing.

Where I am no one seems to be offering it, I have had customers asking if I will do it but I don't want to scare them off by going in too high, but I'm not going to do it for peanuts.  I'm looking at £100 for sand and £30 for hypo so I'm making £250 for 2 days work which isn't unreasonable.

Where I am no one seems to be offering it, I have had customers asking if I will do it but I don't want to scare them off by going in too high, but I'm not going to do it for peanuts.  I'm looking at £100 for sand and £30 for hypo so I'm making £250 for 2 days work which isn't unreasonable.

£100 for sand? where is it coming from the sahara! one bag kiln dry will do & some left over

Wickes, builders merchants, all seem to be around the £90 mark for 20 bags, plus delivery. Looking at coverage charts, 1 bag does around 5 square metres so i need 19 so I will get 20 just in case

That's for fresh laid monoblocking but you are just cleaning it, so all you need is a sprinkle over the top. I powerwashed mine and used half a bag for 10 sq metres. Have you not got a place to practice on? It will give you some experience.

That's for fresh laid monoblocking but you are just cleaning it, so all you need is a sprinkle over the top. I powerwashed mine and used half a bag for 10 sq metres. Have you not got a place to practice on? It will give you some experience.

I see, hadn't appreciated that, I will likely need 10 then so more like £45 then.

I have quite a large block paved drive myself that needs doing so I'm planning to that first to give me a better understanding of products etc.

I see, hadn't appreciated that, I will likely need 10 then so more like £45 then.

I have quite a large block paved drive myself that needs doing so I'm planning to that first to give me a better understanding of products etc.

Exactly, play around wi that and you will find the right strength of hypo. Then the sand you will need and here's the important bit, how much Resiblock it will take. It shows that you paint it on round edges and then use a roller. That will give you the time it takes and the amount you will need.

Looking at various methods the easiest looks like using a sprayer to give even coverage and holding a board around the edges so you don't overspray.

Thanks for the help.

Looking at various methods the easiest looks like using a sprayer to give even coverage and holding a board around the edges so you don't overspray.

Thanks for the help.

i'm not a fan of spraying, you can do some damage to cars when the wind catches it and you don't even know till your phone rings wi the bad news, you have covered my car wi resiblock.

Roller is the best way, no accidental coverage but you will learn when you make mistakes, good luck.

i'm not a fan of spraying, you can do some damage to cars when the wind catches it and you don't even know till your phone rings wi the bad news, you have covered my car wi resiblock.

Roller is the best way, no accidental coverage but you will learn when you make mistakes, good luck.

I would only spray when theres no wind, There won't be cars at the property when i do the job, any risk though and i will roller it.

I would be quite wary about spraying, you are putting me off more and more! I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go with sealant so I will play it by ear when I get their answer.

I would be quite wary about spraying, you are putting me off more and more! I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go with sealant so I will play it by ear when I get their answer.

keep away from spraying unless it is water and maybe ubik in it and you will be fine.

I'm only reminiscing all the accidents I have heard from years of experience which you have still to encounter. Sell them the resiblock and let them do it themselves that's what I would do.

95sqm= 4-5 20kg kiln dried sand = approx £25

You wont need 10 bags of KDS or anything like that much - 5 at most.

To seal it with Resiblock Trade don't roll it on - spray it. Use pump sprayer and nothing could be easier. If you're worried about grass etc (not that u should be unless VERY clumsy) pre-wet grass.

Dont go putting anything in with sealer.

Advantages with Trade are that it is sprayable and saves lot of time. cheap and one coat system - it's not great mind u but budget sealers never are and is best in that price range.

Quality sealer like their Superior needs rolling / watering can / squeegee but is time consuming and unless know what you're doing will very likely pick up jointing sand and spread it all over the drive. Superior is also expensive and 2 coat system.

Don't need to paint on edges if spraying, just be careful.

For 95sqm you'll need 25 litre drum and best place for Reisblock sealants is here....

https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Products/00440058/EVE1348

Their Trade, Superior and Indian Sandstone invisible / colour enhancer are cheaper - especially sandstone sealers which are about £30+ cheaper per 5 litre can. 

Resiblock will also hit u with £20 delivery charge for 25 litres.

Worth noting that recommended application rates would need nearer 50 litres of Trade but those rates are excessive and unnecessary..

Hypo = 2 parts water 1 part hypo (if 14-15% strength)

keep away from spraying unless it is water and maybe ubik in it and you will be fine.
I'm only reminiscing all the accidents I have heard from years of experience which you have still to encounter. Sell them the resiblock and let them do it themselves that's what I would do.
I've rollered and sprayed.
Rolling.. you can pick the sand back out the joints on the roller which then rolls onto substrate. Nightmare.
Spraying.. great uniformed clean look.
Never had a problem with drift spray so can only guess that folk that have must have the spray nozzle to far from the substrate

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back