Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does snow make windows more dirty?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No sure if this has been covered, I looked but couldn't find anything, I also looked on Google...nothing.

After been sat at home for 3 days and starting to go crazy looking out of the window, I noticed how dirty my windows are.

My question is...does snow dirty windows quicker than normal bad english weather? 

I would say defo!

The house opposite me is rotten front windows and walls are close to the road the snow plough and glitter covered his fronts don’t know how many times this week.

My front windows are next to a main road and they quickly get covered in fine black dust. You can see it on the frames and pvc doors. Round the back is not to bad, so it seems that traffic plays a significant roll in dusty windows!

Every snowflake requires a tiny speck of dust in order to form.  The air is full of microscopic particles so no shortage for making snowflakes.

If a snowflake melts on glass the speck is left behind.  If enough of them melt, a 'mist' of specks will be on the glass.  As the melt water runs down the pane it collects these specks, some will continue down the glass in the 'bead' of water, others will be left in the bead's trail causing a streak of dirt rather than a uniform misting.

If the bead evaporates before it reached the bottom of the glass, a visible patch of dirt will be left on the glass.

If you do  a tds on melted snow its very low.I think its a mixture of dust and grit landing on the windows.Great windows and solar panels dirty.Pleanty of work.

Mine are pretty bad now, but it's been a good few weeks since my has cleaned them
emoji23.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Meant to say since my wife has cleaned windows 

It’s nowt to do with the snow. If anything the abrasiveness of it would clean them rather than add dirt. It’s the heavy winds that cause all the damage. It leaves a greasy film on the glass and deposits everything else on the sills. Throw a fresh snowball at your window and all’s it will do is displace any dirt already on there. Use a high power leaf blower near your glass and you will know about it. There are obvious side effects of heavy snowfall like salt/grit on main roads etc but the actual snow itself is fairly clean like rain and deffinatley not enough to make them as dirty as they are although it does pick up more pollutants etc on the way down than rain.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back