Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Think Going Back On Monday is Being Optomistic?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Depends were you are in the UK and what the roads on housing estates are like, I was out walking my dog this morning and bumped into a guy who was from the next town and lives on a estate I need to get on and he said the roads round the estate were a nightmare. 

Hopefully clients and their neighbours will get together and clear snow away, wishful thinking  :1f602: , Over the last 2 days I cleared a few inches of compacted snow and ice from the private access to our shared courtyard of around 50 meters on a decent slope took over 5 hours altogether, Bumped into one of neighbours this morning and they thought the council had cleared it as its a public pathway to the village as well, their jaw nearly hit the floor when i told them i had totally cleared it all and gritted it, told them i would take payment in beer  :1f602:

Unless rain comes and melts it all away in 24 hours which would be a miracle it looks like we will be off again on monday im going crackers here with Cabin fever. Even if the roads are cleared to some degree, peoples properties wont really be workable, driveways, patios etc will still covered in ice & slush more than likely

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I'm aiming for monday in the built up areas here but doubt I will be getting to the smaller villages in the Peak District for another week. 

It's not so much getting to the house but all the icy pathways and decking etc I don't fancy too much right now. 

I'm aiming for monday in the built up areas here but doubt I will be getting to the smaller villages in the Peak District for another week. 

It's not so much getting to the house but all the icy pathways and decking etc I don't fancy too much right now. 

Agreed. I've had to put a radiator in the back of my van to try and thaw the tank and hoses. Radiator is on all the time now until the thaw comes. Even if I do manage to get out on Monday the drives and gardens are going to be a mare. We've got at least a 12" just on the patio. I put my poles in the garage on Tuesday night and they've frozen up. RO is covered in blankets, just praying it's survived the cold.

2 x 300w aquarium elements on my 500L van tank.  Small oil filled rad in back of van. Been on since Monday constant. Outside -4 to -7c 

Tank holding at a steady +6.5c 

Already made shopping list and putting together parts to build a twin 1000L IBC system in the garage as not sure what will and will not have survived yet on my non insulated current set up.  

This is the longest cold snap I recall in 10 years on the job. Might not happen again for another 10 years but believe me I will be ready for it if it does. 

im working tomorow just one job it will be my first and probly last sunday ill ever work  :1f602:  its all looking good down south temp is rising im planing on wiping the shorts out as soon as it hits 9/10 degrease  :1f61c:

Has anyone insulated the back of their van with polystyrene? I stuck it on mine above the ply- lining bit in case it gets bumped by a piece of wood. Now thinking of sticking it behind the ply-lining and roof if I get a large tank. Save the heat from passing straight through the side of van.

Another mod I am making to my van is to buy a spare set of rims fitted with premium winter tyres.  When I lived in Montana we had two sets of rims for both our trucks. Summer and winter. Most winter's here not harsh enough but gonna be real prepared for the next one. 

Has anyone insulated the back of their van with polystyrene? I stuck it on mine above the ply- lining bit in case it gets bumped by a piece of wood. Now thinking of sticking it behind the ply-lining and roof if I get a large tank. Save the heat from passing straight through the side of van.
Not yet but once again it will be stripped over the spring bank holiday insulated and 're ply lined with marine grade ply.  floor sides and roof. 

There is a great vid on you tube where he converts a high top to a camper and insulates every last nook and cranny. a good tutorial / guide. 

17 minutes ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

Not yet but once again it will be stripped over the spring bank holiday insulated and 're ply lined with marine grade ply.  floor sides and roof. 

There is a great vid on you tube where he converts a high top to a camper and insulates every last nook and cranny. a good tutorial / guide. 

Great video. Using kingspan so will be very warm. A tip when using expanding foam, always wear trutouch gloves because its a nightmare to get off.

My mate insulated his attic with kingspan and cant sleep in it in the summer because it's too hot. Other thing is regarding heating small enclosed spaces. Better to use electric because any form of combustion makes carbon monoxide and doesn't take long to take effect. But all in all, everyone with a wfp system should consider lining their van with kingspan or polystyrene, wouldn't cost much. Even by just sticking it to the sides and roof with silicon.

Another mod I am making to my van is to buy a spare set of rims fitted with premium winter tyres.  When I lived in Montana we had two sets of rims for both our trucks. Summer and winter. Most winter's here not harsh enough but gonna be real prepared for the next one. 

That’s definitely a good call. I fitted my winter wheels and tyres end of November. Before using a winter set up I would always struggle and worry about the side roads and a slight incline. Not any more, I’ve got some hankooks fitted ( would definitely recommend ) and so far they have been excellent. 

Back