Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting to get a ‘window cleaners shoulder’

WCF

Help Support WCF:

RWCleaning

Hiya,

ive been doing wfp for just under 4yrs. I’m 28 and overall fairly fit & healthy. Anyway boring stuff.

But the last 3-6months I’ve starting suffering from abit of a painful shoulder. Last couple of months it’s even uncomfortable a couple of days after I’ve last worked. It’s not all the time, and I have been deliberately trying to use my left arm more instead to help. I’ve got a 25SLX.. just don’t know if a Xtreme 22/25 is worth the money?, or just get Physio? Or try different techniques etc. I’m not in proper pain, just feels abit uncomfortable at times. 

Sadly seems to be very common in this job. ‘Builders back’, ‘tennis elbow’, ‘Window cleaners shoulder’!? ?

Its worth while trying to do some weight training even if you only train light. Its probably rotator cuff problem..

Physio would be a good idea to start with a I had a little abit of a problem with my shoulder and with some exercises I was given I sorted it out tired out doing the same movement with are arms shoulders all the times builds up some muscles but does nothing for others so they start to weaken and then we get problems.

If your fairly fit and healthy does that translate to mean "you could be doing more to get your self fitter but can't be bothered" is so that's what it meant to me 2 months ago when I had problems which are gone now.

Due recommendation of the physio I go to a rowing machine class 2/3 times a week which works like 70% to try and keep my self balances and the fitness really helps.

Failing that the extreme would be make huge difference in weight and also its stiffness I was shocked when I held one.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Go on the net and identify some stretches which will help your shoulders and back and legs before you start each day. Do 10 mins of stretching before you start. I don't think this cold weather helps my joints, was just walking around yesterday and my elbows were sore.. I do a fair bit of weight training and thats always helped me when it comes to manual work.

Trouble with shoulder injuries is there a pain to get rid of once you have one. Ive had injuries to them before and just had to work through them and sometimes thats been quite a few months

not worth the money ? so the value of you shoulder to you i 500 quid , so whats a leg worth 650 ?  never put a price on heath 

the first sign of trouble you should go light as poss what ever the cost

,i didnt and carried on with a heavy pole now i can only bench press 180kgs like the rest on the wimps in the gym due to the damage of wfp 30 years of training down the toilet 

180k bench's wimps hey! That's crazy! .Are you sure its not the 200kg bench that has screwed up your shoulders?

Seriously though mate I lumped an slx 27 around for 12 months and didn't think anything of it until I put the pain I was experiencing in my neck together with the weight of the pole. I took two sections off and started using it as an slx 18 for the 90% of my work, couple that with a lighter brush (gardener's ultimate 180g) and it was the best thing I did in  a long time.

The difference was night and day, when I put the sections back on to make a 27 you can really tell the difference.

I am not superhuman like Mr dean but I am no slouch, been going the gym for years and I am not small or weak.But it has been so much easier and I have gotten quicker with my work  as when agitating with the 18 its so light and quick.

Also rinse on the glass when you are doing the upper windows as most of the stress comes from holding the brush away from the glass when rinsing.

If it really bothers you go with an extreme brush, they are mega light and recommended for people with issues.

I would recommend weight lifting to anyone as its good for the body when done right. But if you have caused some damage to your shoulder then you may be better off waiting until its fixed as you may just make things worse.

Do some research and try to pinpoint where the pain is coming from, then you can work out exactly how to resolve the situation because as Mr dean rightly says you cant put a price on your health.

i'm 53 and had a dodgy elbow, very painful.

Sports massage is quite good, they know what all the muscles do and where to massage them. Painful though!

I tried swapping hands also but couldn't really get to grips with it.

What worked for me is swapping the pole. I bought an Xtreme 22 AND now only use Extreme brushes. They are far better than they look, especially the natural hair version. They will speed you up as well.

Worked for me. 

I haven't even thought about my elbow for the last 6 months until I read this. I just touched it and it hardly hurts at all.

Get an Xtreme pole and you'll laugh at how light and rigid it is. Treat it with respect though and don't drop it. 

Don't think of it as an investment now, but as an investment for the future.

It's not until you get older, that you realise what you should have done, when you were younger.

Is it worth the enormous expense of new pole and a set of new brushes? Absolutely, 100%, without question. 

All good advice. Will definitely get get a extreme pole by May/June/July ish then as I’ve wanted one anyway, it’s just hard to justify £500 whatever when my Slx has been and still is great (apart from maybe the weight)

But in the meantime will get a professionals opinion on what exercises to do or physio 

I do occasionally go to the gym, play a game of football & love riding the bike on a nice weekend, but maybe I should be looking at more weights & building strength etc. 

Cheers guys, and may the pole be with you!

not worth the money ? so the value of you shoulder to you i 500 quid , so whats a leg worth 650 ?  never put a price on heath 

the first sign of trouble you should go light as poss what ever the cost

,i didnt and carried on with a heavy pole now i can only bench press 180kgs like the rest on the wimps in the gym due to the damage of wfp 30 years of training down the toilet 

Watched Jon Pall deadlift half a ton and his nose exploded in Bellahouston gym.

I had tennis elbow when Wimbledon was on and doc gave me exercises to do. He said you have to keep working it. It went away after the tennis ended but it was just a coincidence. 

All good advice. Will definitely get get a extreme pole by May/June/July ish then as I’ve wanted one anyway, it’s just hard to justify £500 whatever when my Slx has been and still is great (apart from maybe the weight)

But in the meantime will get a professionals opinion on what exercises to do or physio 

I do occasionally go to the gym, play a game of football & love riding the bike on a nice weekend, but maybe I should be looking at more weights & building strength etc. 

Cheers guys, and may the pole be with you!
i like to work things out in cash terms , if you do nothing  you will hurt more thats a given you will also start going home early , most say they won , you will i did ,

so if you lose just two jobs a week because your in pain , lets say at a tenner each working 38 weeks that 760 lost add in the pain costs of being in pain all week and just about recovering by Sunday night ready to beat your self up on the Monday again your already in the mind set of coming home early thats before you start 

i did this you could start losing even more time and money this is not including long term damage 

so you can order  ex22 every 8 months and still not be out of pocket with no pain all week this is the way it worked for me i never looked back going light , ok i wear out a pole every year and change ex brushes every four weeks but worth every penny for being pain free and i know work full days and do more work then befoure i started getting the pain because its so easy wish  i did it 5 years ago 

Yep no I agree, makes sense thanks!

ok in that case, I guess I could sell my 25SLX:

It’s 18months old, all clamps work fine, I’ve got the ‘reinforced’ yellow hose with tap valve, with a medium mixed brush brush which has been on there about 3-4 months (but I only average work wise 3 & half/4 days a week)

being honest: could do with the safety tape at the bottom of each pole being replaced, most of the writing has worn away on it now. 

But I use it most days, works great I do take pretty good care of it. 

i just went on Gardiner website, comes to £315ish Inc Vat.

I’m in the Bournemouth area, if anyone wants to give me a reasonable price Pm me if you’re interested. I’m happy to send photos over WhatsApp etc. I was thinking around the £150 mark?  I’m in no rush, don’t ‘need’ to sell it, but realistically it’ll hardly ever get used again once I get knew pole.

So Just putting a few feelers out there...

thanks. Ryan

Yep no I agree, makes sense thanks!

ok in that case, I guess I could sell my 25SLX:

It’s 18months old, all clamps work fine, I’ve got the ‘reinforced’ yellow hose with tap valve, with a medium mixed brush brush which has been on there about 3-4 months (but I only average work wise 3 & half/4 days a week)

being honest: could do with the safety tape at the bottom of each pole being replaced, most of the writing has worn away on it now. 

But I use it most days, works great I do take pretty good care of it. 

i just went on Gardiner website, comes to £315ish Inc Vat.

I’m in the Bournemouth area, if anyone wants to give me a reasonable price Pm me if you’re interested. I’m happy to send photos over WhatsApp etc. I was thinking around the £150 mark?  I’m in no rush, don’t ‘need’ to sell it, but realistically it’ll hardly ever get used again once I get knew pole.

So Just putting a few feelers out there...

thanks. Ryan
Personally I would keep this pole, and buy a slx18 it’s the same weight as a extreme22, just us the slx25 when needed, my slx18 approx covers 90% of my round.

I have a dodgy shoulder and went from slx22 to a slx18 as my everyday pole and from manual reel to electric reel the pain as receded loads hardly suffer with my shoulder now days and would never go back to manual reel again because of my dicky shoulder. Also I use ultimate brushes. 

I agree with exercise to help build muscles up in the shoulder, however I personally wouldn't be weightlifting. 2 reasons for this 1. Your only building up particular muscles in particular ways 2. I hate the gym, can only just tolerate cardio, can't stand weights. I'd me more inclined to try sports over the gym, something that will build muscle strength, whilst also building stamina and more sociable. I've found martial arts (krav maga) good, some may prefer tennis, rock climbing, swimming (very very good, next to no chance of injury but really works the muscles,). If you enjoy it then your more likely to stick at it. Also as everyone has said a lighter pole, or even just a lighter brush will help. Saying that I use a hybrid pole, which isn't the lightest thing in the world, just can't justify the cost of a new one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in Bournemouth too. Wallisdown.

Give me a ring on 07850 262016 and you can try out my Xtreme pole and brush and see if you like the idea of it.

Another thing to help is, I use pole hose on my main reel, very light and easy to use. All helps minimise fatigue.

Anyway give me a bell.

Robbo

I am in Bournemouth too. Wallisdown.

Give me a ring on 07850 262016 and you can try out my Xtreme pole and brush and see if you like the idea of it.

Another thing to help is, I use pole hose on my main reel, very light and easy to use. All helps minimise fatigue.

Anyway give me a bell.

Robbo
That’s really kind of you thank you! I will.

Watched Jon Pall deadlift half a ton and his nose exploded in Bellahouston gym.

I had tennis elbow when Wimbledon was on and doc gave me exercises to do. He said you have to keep working it. It went away after the tennis ended but it was just a coincidence. 
I went to the doctors with tennis elbow.

She asked “how many years have you had that?”

I said “about fifteen love” ?

Back