Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spotting problem...help?

Suhrly

Hi guys. Can you help me with this. I'm brand new to WFP and I've been practising on my own windows. I'm getting a LOT a beading along the top of each panel and it's drying dirty and spotting (just where it beads along the top, rest of the window seems fine). Hopefully you can see the images to show what it's like. I've give them a good rinse and still seems to be doing it. How would you experts tackle this? My TDS is around 003 right now.

Thanks for any advice. 

IMG_20180306_113359.jpg

IMG_20180306_113407.jpg

Its common . Wash the frame and a few times side to side at the top of the glass, then wash the window and repeat a couple of windows ,giving the first windows some driptime.

Then go back to the first and rinse ,but its Very important to avoid the last few centimeters at the top , then you should be able to get it spotfree.

on rare occasions youll get spotting anyway, could be a bad seal . But try this and for me its bulletproof ,and i even got a lot of woodenframes in bad condition on my round . 

Its common . Wash the frame and a few times side to side at the top of the glass, then wash the window and repeat a couple of windows ,giving the first windows some driptime.

Then go back to the first and rinse ,but its Very important to avoid the last few centimeters at the top , then you should be able to get it spotfree.

on rare occasions youll get spotting anyway, could be a bad seal . But try this and for me its bulletproof ,and i even got a lot of woodenframes in bad condition on my round . 

Thanks David. So you're saying to avoid the top few centimeters only when rinsing off?

I've just read somewhere that when the water beads like this, what is then happening is that the beads are 'collecting' and attracting dirty air and this is where the dirt is coming from. The frames, brush, glass etc can be clean but it's the actual dust and dirt in the air that's the problem. If so there's nothing you can do about this right?

Yeh I hate windows that ‘drip’ afterwards. I find that most of the time, after the 4th 5th or 6th Clean they get a lot better.

First few cleans you have to bite the bullet so to speak. Clean all frames and glass like normal, give that top sill a really good scrub (as said before) side to side. Then I would rinse all the top frame down to the to the glass, then leave it (go on to next window if near by) after 2-4mins it should of stopped dripping from the top frame/sill

Then Carefully rinse just the glass getting as close to the top of the glass without touching the top frame. 

Ive got a few jobs where I still have to clean like this. But 75% of the bad ‘drippers’ are ok now.

Split in the actual sills are annoying though. I have one or two jobs where I never touch the top frame, not worth it. I told the customers they said ‘don’t worry do what you can’

Anyway Practice Practice Practice 

Downstairs windows I just wipe the top of the glass & top frame with a cloth, then rinse from a inch down from the top of the glass. Bit easier and quicker. 

Put a towel over your brush head and wipe like that, give your brush a good shake first to get some water off it then wrap  a tea towel around the head. It works perfectly upstairs and down.

Hi guys. Can you help me with this. I'm brand new to WFP and I've been practising on my own windows. I'm getting a LOT a beading along the top of each panel and it's drying dirty and spotting (just where it beads along the top, rest of the window seems fine). Hopefully you can see the images to show what it's like. I've give them a good rinse and still seems to be doing it. How would you experts tackle this? My TDS is around 003 right now.

Thanks for any advice. 

View attachment 12977

View attachment 12978
you wanna wash that frame for about 5 minuites and be sure to get your bristles in the seal at the top and just keep washing with flow on high. Until the bugger is super clean. Then you wont have a problem with it anymore.

you wanna wash that frame for about 5 minuites and be sure to get your bristles in the seal at the top and just keep washing with flow on high. Until the bugger is super clean. Then you wont have a problem with it anymore.

That's what I can't understand the frame is/was very clean already as I've been cleaning it trad for years. I was hoping it was maybe just soap residue. I've cleaned it 3 times now and it's still spotting a little bit albiet not as bad now I don't think.

rinsing on is more of an advanced technique mate.

rinsing off is more of a sure thing.

Sometimes the glass and frames can look clean but they aint, especially if you have been tradding them as what your doing with the squeegee and cloths is pushing dirt into the seals. when you go wfp you have to scrub it all back out.

Its just a learning curve and most windows will not give you any trouble.

Where do you live mate? Your welcome to come out with me for a day if you like and I can show you the basics.

rinsing on is more of an advanced technique mate.

rinsing off is more of a sure thing.

Sometimes the glass and frames can look clean but they aint, especially if you have been tradding them as what your doing with the squeegee and cloths is pushing dirt into the seals. when you go wfp you have to scrub it all back out.

Its just a learning curve and most windows will not give you any trouble.

Where do you live mate? Your welcome to come out with me for a day if you like and I can show you the basics.

Cheers Paul mate and I defo would of took you up on that offer but I'm up in the North East. Yeah I'm hoping the majority of my windows are gonna be hassle free....but knowing my luck...! I just need to get my round(s) done and it'll give me an idea on what's what. The rest of the windows on my house have dried spot on (they didn't bead) so that's give me a little hope haha. 

Can I just point out that in those pics the windows are still wet. ?

its all just a techhnique issue. Are you using a good flow rate? Van mount system or backpacks? Have you checked the TDS of the water atbthe brush head? 

Can I just point out that in those pics the windows are still wet. ?

its all just a techhnique issue. Are you using a good flow rate? Van mount system or backpacks? Have you checked the TDS of the water atbthe brush head? 

Yeah mate I know they are wet I wanted to show you guys how the water was beading up. Basically those beads are drying murky. I'm using a Pure Freedom van mount and my flow rate is currently on 25. I've heard if you have it too high it's been used more like a pressure washer and that can cause spotting. Yeah TDS coming out the brush is 003

If the other windows are drying fine, it's an issue with that particular pane.

I see this a lot on windows that are below roofing so they don't get rained on. Also had a customer where the top half beaded and the bottom didn't since the roof shielded half the window.

Yeah mate I know they are wet I wanted to show you guys how the water was beading up. Basically those beads are drying murky. I'm using a Pure Freedom van mount and my flow rate is currently on 25. I've heard if you have it too high it's been used more like a pressure washer and that can cause spotting. Yeah TDS coming out the brush is 003
Sounds like everything your end is fine.

In that case, a minute or two after you’ve rinsed, annoyingly you’ll need to rinse again. I’ve got a couple of windows on my rounds where I have to rinse twice. Eventually they might be ok.

But when you rinse for the 2nd (and final time) rinse from a inch or two from the top, just don’t touch that top frame.

Also had a customer where the top half beaded and the bottom didn't since the roof shielded half the window.

I've noticed this a LOT on my round. Some panes are doing it and others don't (on the same house). Also the middle of the panes can curtain nice but the sides don't. Pain in the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
But when you rinse for the 2nd (and final time) rinse from a inch or two from the top, just don’t touch that top frame.

Thanks for the tip mate. So is it normal practice to rinse an inch or so from the top even on the first rinse (right after scrubbing)..? Or do you rinse right up the frame after scrubbing?

Back