Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Air blocks, could this be the answer???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

GtrMan

Has anyone else noticed this?? That the pump in my storage tank and the delivery pipes never experience the airlock problems, as of now I get water out of the nozzle under pressure on demand??? Why can we not use this system to brush end??? I am not technically gifted... Just an idea.... Any comment please ??

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand you correctly the reason you dont get airlocks is that the the pump itself is submerged in the supply water. However, they are not high pressure pumps. That might sound daft when you think how far they can throw a 1 inch column of water. However, if you put your thumb over the end of the pipe you can stifle the flow fairly easily, unlike the 100psi 5lpm diaphragm pumps we use to push the water up the hose to the brush. It's almost imposible to stifle even the small flow on those with your thumb.

However the idea is not a bad one if someone could come up with a high pressure version of the submersible pump

Hi Mark, yes I understand the pressure thing, I will look into the possibility of high pressure submersible. Thanks. Pete 

The way we do things is fine, if your set-up in the van is proper you should never experience any problems.

Keep all your connections tight and your pump low, never let your tank run dry and you'll never have a problem.

There is pump that might do it... Acuafluss 60. 57metre head, 95 litres per min, trigger / pressure switch operated, submersible. Manual flow valve. £452.00, Inc  vat..   ? 

There is pump that might do it... Acuafluss 60. 57metre head, 95 litres per min, trigger / pressure switch operated, submersible. Manual flow valve. £452.00, Inc  vat..   ? 

Problem is for what we need you only want to pump 4-5 lpm to the brush. If I could force 95 lpm up my hose my tank would be empty in 5 minutes.

As Paul A says, if you keep your connections tight especially on the supply side of your pump you should have few problems

On the keeping things tight etc, that's ongoing good practical advice, thanks. On the flow rate, can we not control that?? I don't know, only asking and learning.... Am sick at moment so have plenty of time to think ? 

I am looking into these micro pumps for my next diy trolley

They seem to have less to go wrong than a diaphragm pump

Maybe will pull water through easier without airlocks

Screenshot_20180306-192903.png

Well no, if we're talking empty tanks in five minutes we need to lower, decrease... Or am I missing something really obvious here.... Like I said I am not a techy..... Like.... If we had a manual glow control that restricts flow... Would that work or would it just flip the pressure switch and back to the old problems on the diaphram pumps?? ?

A PWM device would do that for you (pulse width modulator) cheap as chips from eBay or wherever.

I'm not sure what your trying to achieve? Are you looking for greater flow for rinsing? Or are you looking to simply have pump mounted inside the tank?

Hi Paul, what am after is a bit of a long story... Basically theorising on having a submersible pump in a water tank directly feeding the pole, instead of having all the connections from tank to pump, pump to reel that cause some of us no end of air blockage problems... 

The only connections that will cause airlock problems if they are not airtight are the ones on the supply side of your pump, that is between the tank and the pump. The reason for this is due to the vacuum created by the pump on the intake side. Any connections after the pump will result in water leakage, not airlocks.

The solution, which has worked well for me for ten years, is to reduce the number of connections from the tank to the pump, to one - the connection on the pump. The strainer, which is often fitted in this hose creates two more connections to maintain, and this is where problems often occur. If you can fit one on the end of your supply hose inside your tank you will get rid of these extra connections.

Ha ha, yes, seems so... After 3 months of checking wires, connections, changing houses, cutting hoses, sucking, shaking,  ringing water genie, doing if all again, every day of work, finally they have said well that's not normal you probably have a faulty pump!!!. So sent it back today,...... ? 

Yeh, people do have problems even with everything right. On mine the connections etc are tight and still the fooker wont pump water out. It has done, and then doesnt. just a nightmare and I know some good diy bods who dont know how to solve it either. Really should be a proper set guide on stuff needed that would always work. Must be a simple answer. What about using thinner hose from tank to pump and pump to reel? and not using a strainer? I dont get why it works sometimes and then not, for ages. Cant stick a bit of hose after pump and suck as that would mean undoing the hose etc each time and putting that tape back on.  Just real pisses me off. Back in my youth I woulda smashed it in by now lol. Need a beer or 8.

At last the right answer
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
He is also doing an extra £50 a day without the air locks ?

Back