Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The right van insurance

Green Pro Clean Ltd

So we have all been tempted on occasion not to be upfront with our insurance broker in order to get a better price but is that always the smartest move. 

My Van the past couple of years was insured by Van Line Direct (broker) through Pukka (Insurance provider) 

Last year my premium was £600 fully comp - because I paid on direct debit there was a 20% charge so £720 all in.  They know I am a window cleaner and the van was for commercial usage, they may not have know I had a fitted HOT water PROPANE system, I can't recall if I mentioned that.  :1f644:

Moving on my renewal cam through today - down to £440 + the 20% so £528 all in. 

I called A - Plan insurance and spoke to Josh, A - Plan are one of only two insurance companies that specialize in window cleaners vans and systems.  

I explained all about my van, he asked if it was sign written, I said YES, he asked if I had a fitted system, I said YES, he asked if it was hot I said YES, he asked how it was heated, I explained through a propane powered unit.  Then the boring questions my no claims etc (5 years plus) and so on.  

'I'll get back to you' Said Josh. 

He just came back to me with a premium of £495 - For my van with fitted HOT PROPANE unit declared, knows the van sees personal and business use and all the other details.  

If I have a no fault claim they will also supply a van and system from Grippa whilst I am being sorted out.  If it is a 'fault' claim or van is stolen they dont supply a van, however I can add that as an option for £82 for the year.  

Just shows that talking to the right people honestly is not always going to be an expensive issue.  

Some may remember pics of my old red Brodex system. I bought that used of a lad that had totalled his van and had his claim refused as he had not declared the water tanks in the back of the van.  Basically it finished his business as he couldn't afford a new van nor the insurance so I got the kit for a deal. 

I bet he wishes he had done it right to begin with now. 

I will take the optional upgrade of a loan van if a fault claim or if stolen so my insurance is going to be £577 for the year.  More than if I continue my existing policy but for the peace of mind of knowing I am 100% covered why not.  I work 20 days per month so this policy is costing me £2.40 per day.  When broken down like that it's just crazy cheap.

Hope you find some helpful tips and info in this and please, for your sake, make sure you got the right insurance.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info I have contacted A plan quite a few times and have given them details but they have failed to get back to me . But maybe if I ask for Josh it may help .

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

a plan are the ones who understand a window cleaning van with a wfp stystem installed not the likes of avviva etc so you do tend to get a better service from a plan as apposed to the larger/cheaper firms.

for instance I put my private plates on my van yesterday as I needed cheering up-phoned a plan and told them-no problem and no charge and the new documents emailed through within five mins,now that's service for you,it does pay to have the correct insurance not lie or forget about things when you get  a quote.

from memory when my renewal came up,a plan treat the stystem as fixed to the van so if it is stolen your tank is included within the payout of the van-not poles etc as they are not fixed,it may need double checking as we chatted about many things when I re-newed but i'm sure i'm correct.

So we have all been tempted on occasion not to be upfront with our insurance broker in order to get a better price but is that always the smartest move. 

My Van the past couple of years was insured by Van Line Direct (broker) through Pukka (Insurance provider) 

Last year my premium was £600 fully comp - because I paid on direct debit there was a 20% charge so £720 all in.  They know I am a window cleaner and the van was for commercial usage, they may not have know I had a fitted HOT water PROPANE system, I can't recall if I mentioned that.  :1f644:

Moving on my renewal cam through today - down to £440 + the 20% so £528 all in. 

I called A - Plan insurance and spoke to Josh, A - Plan are one of only two insurance companies that specialize in window cleaners vans and systems.  

I explained all about my van, he asked if it was sign written, I said YES, he asked if I had a fitted system, I said YES, he asked if it was hot I said YES, he asked how it was heated, I explained through a propane powered unit.  Then the boring questions my no claims etc (5 years plus) and so on.  

'I'll get back to you' Said Josh. 

He just came back to me with a premium of £495 - For my van with fitted HOT PROPANE unit declared, knows the van sees personal and business use and all the other details.  

If I have a no fault claim they will also supply a van and system from Grippa whilst I am being sorted out.  If it is a 'fault' claim or van is stolen they dont supply a van, however I can add that as an option for £82 for the year.  

Just shows that talking to the right people honestly is not always going to be an expensive issue.  

Some may remember pics of my old red Brodex system. I bought that used of a lad that had totalled his van and had his claim refused as he had not declared the water tanks in the back of the van.  Basically it finished his business as he couldn't afford a new van nor the insurance so I got the kit for a deal. 

I bet he wishes he had done it right to begin with now. 

I will take the optional upgrade of a loan van if a fault claim or if stolen so my insurance is going to be £577 for the year.  More than if I continue my existing policy but for the peace of mind of knowing I am 100% covered why not.  I work 20 days per month so this policy is costing me £2.40 per day.  When broken down like that it's just crazy cheap.

Hope you find some helpful tips and info in this and please, for your sake, make sure you got the right insurance.   

Wonder what I am doing wrong being with A Plan over 6 years and mine ain't that cheap with 7 years no claims, will have to wait until renewal in November.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I'm with A plan all my insurance is with them.

Mine is not as cheap as you have been quoted but I did go for wfp courtesy van.

there must be loads who don't declare there tank especially the ones who strap them in.

I'm with A Plan and it seems the more you have done to your van the cheaper it is. Take racking, he said its cheaper if you have it? I had a roof rack which counted, and if your van is signed, cheaper again. I don't know how they do it, but it seems the cheapest around.

I only started out this year. I needed an insurer who would let me carry no claims from a car onto a van and landed with Amlin at £43 per month. Thats with 3 accidents in the last few years and an SP30 I think it is (60 in a 40). I didn't go direct to Amlin though I trawled the comparison sites. I was about to go with a quote at £60 per month on compare the market but happened to look on top cash back, found thevaninsurer.co.uk who got me the £43 price and gave me £30 cash back.

I only started out this year. I needed an insurer who would let me carry no claims from a car onto a van and landed with Amlin at £43 per month. Thats with 3 accidents in the last few years and an SP30 I think it is (60 in a 40). I didn't go direct to Amlin though I trawled the comparison sites. I was about to go with a quote at £60 per month on compare the market but happened to look on top cash back, found thevaninsurer.co.uk who got me the £43 price and gave me £30 cash back.

Very good, but are they aware that you have WPF system bolted in the back of your van?  (I assume you have)  are they aware that your van is sign written? (I assume they are) are they aware that you have a hot water system powered by propane? (If you do)

At my age, years on licence, no claims etc I can insure a non signwritten van with no system for peanuts.   However with what we do it is kind of essential you give the insurance an honest representation of what the van has in it and what you do with it (not saying you haven't) 

Lastly, your insurance wont provide a loaner with WFP system if yours is damaged and off the road for some time will they, it's only A-Plan and one other that do this. 

I strap my tank in and have done since July 2011 since I first started getting insured through A Plan and they have always been made fully aware with 3 vehicles I have had over the years.

I also pay for the courtesy vehicle and found the overall service when dealing with a claim to be spot on.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Very good, but are they aware that you have WPF system bolted in the back of your van?  (I assume you have)  are they aware that your van is sign written? (I assume they are) are they aware that you have a hot water system powered by propane? (If you do)

At my age, years on licence, no claims etc I can insure a non signwritten van with no system for peanuts.   However with what we do it is kind of essential you give the insurance an honest representation of what the van has in it and what you do with it (not saying you haven't) 

Lastly, your insurance wont provide a loaner with WFP system if yours is damaged and off the road for some time will they, it's only A-Plan and one other that do this. 
Yeah they know all about the system etc. The quote system on that site asks loads of questions. You select where your sign writing is on the van. I only have 4 years no claims as I had a company car for a few years so I thought it was a bargain to be fair. It was about £5 a month more than I would have paid for a car.

I have assumed from what people are saying above that A-Plan offer a WFP van as a replacement. This is pretty cool and could be really handy. I have a back up plan though, I have a bunch of containers and a backpack. My insurance does offer a hire van and I could just load the containers with purified water and stick them in the back, then fill the backpack as I go. Not ideal but it would keep me going. I ain't been going that long though, maybe when i'm fully established A-Plan would be a worthy investment though.

When i had a non fault claim with A Plan I had 2 options available to me fully kitted out van or a non kitted out L200 so i opted for the L200 as that's what i was used to. 

@P4dstar good to know about that comparision site might be worth a look when mine is due for renewal 

When i had a non fault claim with A Plan I had 2 options available to me fully kitted out van or a non kitted out L200 so i opted for the L200 as that's what i was used to. 

@P4dstar good to know about that comparision site might be worth a look when mine is due for renewal 
Make sure you go through Top Cash Back too, they gave me £36 for just clicking through their site haha

Just insured with Aviva declared that I have a 325l watertank bolted in with my son included as named driver £307 

Just had a quote for 650l tank, hot water, 15,000 miles etc Including legal, not including protection, £334. Virtually half what I was paying before. 
Is that with aviva? They wanted £201 just for me but put me son on for the extra ££ makes life easier as I can have days of lol.

Yes, waiting for confirmation that it actually insures the system as well for £9k. If it does then it's really cheap.
Even though I mentioned the modification was a 325l tank the policy just states modification watertank doesn't mention whatsize it is. 

Back