Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trailer setup

andy1992

Calling all trailer users,

How do you find it ? I only do weekends as I have full time job.

I’m toying with a van but just think the insurance is dear and there uncomfortable because I’m 6’7 and have no leg room.

I just sold my pickup because of insurance and fuel costs and so don’t have any vehicle atm.

What do you think is the best way to go ?

Cheers

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presuming you are considering to use a trailer in a wfp situation.

If you have issues with pickups and vans and insurances and fuel costs and ....... then I would probably suggest you carry on working full time and give the window cleaning side a miss.

I found a trailer rather difficult to use. Its heavy when full, difficult to reverse and you don't dare unhitch it in a cul de sac on a hill to turn it around as it will escape from you.

Mine had tanks built on and those froze in the winter and I couldn't get more than 6 months out of a leisure battery which was mounted on the draw bar.

Parked on the drive I felt it was vunerable to be stolen even although I had a wheel lock on it.

Even although I towed it with a small Suzuki Van, storing my poles inside the van meant they poked through the gap between the seats. (In those days we didn't have gardiner poles. The Unger Teleplus oles were longer than the length of the cargo area inside the van.)

I would never consider going back to a trailer. I would rather have a van and use that privately than have a car pulling a trailer. But then I'm a foot shorter than you are.

A good friend of mine favours trailers, and have built his second one now. It does looks smart.

He does admit it is cumbersome when parking in a busy street, and I got a few customers off him because he couldn't park in the area properly, where my van was more nimble.

Also, it's a nightmare to drive with the trailer when empty and it's windy.

He lives in Denmark now though, so no risk of steep hills.  :1f602:

I wouldn't give up my van. So much more convenient.

I’ve never spoke To someone who says Carl I’ve got a van and what a trailer what advice do you you have.

I’ve spoke to plenty that started with a trailer and asked about vans.

Trailers were meant to be there to limit the capital outlay if you don’t want a van then work from a trolley but eventually you will end up with a van

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’ve never spoke To someone who says Carl I’ve got a van and what a trailer what advice do you you have.

I’ve spoke to plenty that started with a trailer and asked about vans.

Trailers were meant to be there to limit the capital outlay if you don’t want a van then work from a trolley but eventually you will end up with a van

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I was already wfp(tank) with the pickup so I’ve got all the stuff. Do any guys wfp with a tank out of there car ? Wouldn’t like to get a leak lol

I'm with @spruce here mate. If you have so many issues with it then is it really for you? If you are looking to go full time with it a van is a worthy investment. If the insurance and fuel costs are an issue why isn't the cost of a trailer? If you're happy just doing it at weekends then why not just get a car, a bunch of containers and a backpack? Simple set up that will allow you to make a bit of beer money. You can just purify the water at home into the containers and take them with you?

I'm with [mention=125]spruce[/mention] here mate. If you have so many issues with it then is it really for you? If you are looking to go full time with it a van is a worthy investment. If the insurance and fuel costs are an issue why isn't the cost of a trailer? If you're happy just doing it at weekends then why not just get a car, a bunch of containers and a backpack? Simple set up that will allow you to make a bit of beer money. You can just purify the water at home into the containers and take them with you?
That’s what I used to do but just don’t think you get enough flow with a backpack hence why I moved to 100 psi pump and tank

That’s what I used to do but just don’t think you get enough flow with a backpack hence why I moved to 100 psi pump and tank

Which backpack did you have mate? I bought the Gardiners V3 just before xmas and I get a better flow rate than I do from my 100psi pump and tank. Gotta admit its a pain in the ar5e refilling it but I only use it when I can't get close to the customers property or when there are a lot of snagging points.

Was a gardiner one. Not sure exactly which version it is. Tbf I was only doing gutters and fascias with it and then when I went back to windows I just assumed it was weak and went for tank setup

Was a gardiner one. Not sure exactly which version it is. Tbf I was only doing gutters and fascias with it and then when I went back to windows I just assumed it was weak and went for tank setup

Have a look at the latest one mate;

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/the-gardiner-backpack/new-gardiner-pure-water-backpack-v3-22-litre.html

There are a bunch of reviews on their site about it but I can tell you first hand its my favourite investment yet!! You could sell your tank and switch to containers instead of tryna set up your tank in a car. Like you said, imagine it floods haha.

The other thing to check before jumping to a car is that your new insurance company will allow you to transfer your no claims discount from a van to a car. It could be that the insurance on a van ends up cheaper than a car if you are forced to go with a specific company because of this.

With regards to fuel usage... If 3 seats is enough for you then you may be surprised. My 2L diesel Vivaro van uses about the same amount of fuel as my 1.7L Astra. I put this down to me not being able to floor it with the van haha

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a Citroen Berlingo Car you can get a 210 litre upright tank in the back, I've got a bilge pump in the tank hooked up to a re-enforced Vacuum hose and a fuel delivery gun it takes 30 seconds to fill a backpack, I've got 3 lengths of hoses with Slicks connected so if need be I can work 40 metres from the Backpack if need be by joining them together, with my set up I find I can cover all jobs, from the car, mobile, or through the house I spent 8 years carrying 25 litre containers and it was hard filling them and carrying them to the car and emptying them in to Back Packs I would never consider a trailer with my round as it would be a nightmare and if you needed to reverse you'd be in trouble. 

20180313_131354.jpg

If you get a Citroen Berlingo Car you can get a 210 litre upright tank in the back, I've got a bilge pump in the tank hooked up to a re-enforced Vacuum hose and a fuel delivery gun it takes 30 seconds to fill a backpack, I've got 3 lengths of hoses with Slicks connected so if need be I can work 40 metres from the Backpack if need be by joining them together, with my set up I find I can cover all jobs, from the car, mobile, or through the house I spent 8 years carrying 25 litre containers and it was hard filling them and carrying them to the car and emptying them in to Back Packs I would never consider a trailer with my round as it would be a nightmare and if you needed to reverse you'd be in trouble. 
View attachment 13122
wouldnt want to be in that if you crash!!!

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back