Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Runs on the same windows every month

Bart90

Hi guys, need some advice.

I'm fairly new to wfp, set up with a backpack thanks to advice on here.  On the whole it's the best decision i made.  However, i'm hitting one snag on the same job every month.

It's a farmhouse with new wood style frame & double glazed new glass small paned (8 or 6 panes in an window) and is VERY hydrophobic. Whatever i do, i am getting runs, two or three from each pane and it's driving me absolutely mad as i have to wipe them off using a ladder and it's slowing me down.  I've had runs before on jobs and after a few cleans it's stopped once the soap residue has gone.  Any thoughts? I'm not even sure it's soap causing the runs on these ones but it's hard to tell.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the waters going behind the dividing frames and bringing the dirt out onto the pane underneath. Nowt you can do apart from wait until each individual horizontal row of panes dry which would take too long. I have a few like that and I just trad em as it’s quicker and you know your leaving them spot on.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I've had a few like that, best option i found was to do one row at a time around the house, then redo the ones that were not good. 

Thanks for the replies .  It's definitely not dirt as each pane is sealed properly (not like those stick on dividers on the cheaper upvc).  @Nudel , that has crossed my mind and will resort to it if i can't find a solution.  When I used to trad them i would often get some weird smears like from a sticky substance, i wonder if it's that. One of the windows doesn't do it at all which i guess does point to some kind of residue of something contaminating the pure on the others.  I have some unger rub out, I'll use that on a few next month and see how i get on.  It's a shame, as this was one of my bigger jobs that wfp could have really saved me time!  

I was cleaning new windows that my customer just got installed. The installer must have used clear silicon and got his paw prints on the glass. Nightmare to get off, I finally got it off with my scraper after a while. Don't know if Ubik would have removed it!

Thanks for the replies .  It's definitely not dirt as each pane is sealed properly (not like those stick on dividers on the cheaper upvc).  @Nudel , that has crossed my mind and will resort to it if i can't find a solution.  When I used to trad them i would often get some weird smears like from a sticky substance, i wonder if it's that. One of the windows doesn't do it at all which i guess does point to some kind of residue of something contaminating the pure on the others.  I have some unger rub out, I'll use that on a few next month and see how i get on.  It's a shame, as this was one of my bigger jobs that wfp could have really saved me time!  
Think you might be on to something there mate, try scrapping or bronze wool. O r rubout might do it I dunno I have never tried it.

You say farmhouse trouble is with a working farm their is  :1f4a9:  flying all over the place and they need a really decent rinse usually on a higher flow rate setting to ensure they are 100%, but if their is a contamination on the glass you need to work out what is and how to remove it 

Sounds like the seals there then mate. I have one house like that, I have traded for years and tried converted to wfp many times but every time I do it leaves massive runs comin down from the top of the pane that are quite tough to get off once they have dried. From my experience trading it the seals always gave off a residue that’s sticky and behaves like sealant and not just your usual black stuff. Even the seals feel tacky to touch. Wouldn’t have thought they would have used sealant as it would be a pain to deal with if the unit ever needed replacing and that’s what the rubber seal is for.

Sounds like the seals there then mate. I have one house like that, I have traded for years and tried converted to wfp many times but every time I do it leaves massive runs comin down from the top of the pane that are quite tough to get off once they have dried. From my experience trading it the seals always gave off a residue that’s sticky and behaves like sealant and not just your usual black stuff. Even the seals feel tacky to touch. Wouldn’t have thought they would have used sealant as it would be a pain to deal with if the unit ever needed replacing and that’s what the rubber seal is for.

I have wandered to myself if there is something I could use to "seal" them dodgy seals up with, like ptfe spray or something. Tape the window and frame off and apply a coat or two of spray. Would stop any future issues.

I have wandered to myself if there is something I could use to "seal" them dodgy seals up with, like ptfe spray or something. Tape the window and frame off and apply a coat or two of spray. Would stop any future issues.
Not worth it just drop the house and replace it with a new one. Not all windows can be cleaned with the reach and wash and especially i find rubbers that are on the outside of the frame in direct sunlight are a pain. Like others said use ubik and scrub the rubber loads but even that sometimes dont help. Ive used unger rub out and got on a ladder and scrubbed it with that and it seems to work. Ive heard of people using Vaseline on the top rubber and not scrubbing it but i just would drop the house and move on 

Latest Posts

Back