Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Recommendations on what pole to buy?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

scottish cleaning service

Need a wfp to clean pvc on FGS and got my eye on the clx, slx or the extreme.

I think it might need to be stronger than for just cleaning glass.

Any ideas or experience most welcome. cheers m :1f44d:

Well what you got now?

The extreme is not going to be stronger, it is light but weaker, its intention is reduce pain on the body and not the wallet.  Ironically many experienced people find it actually increases income because they can work for longer, faster.

The SLX is now almost the gold standard pole and is the one all the competition wish they had made.  The question for an SLX comes down to do you want to go small and extend, or big and reduce.  I personally think small and buy extensions is always better. 

The CLX is the pole I would recommend to someone who is not fully WFP, maybe a trad guy who wants to do a lot of conny roofs or have a tool for getting to that difficult window, FSG with a backpack. It is often thought of as a starter pole, it is cheaper. Its heavier than the SLX. 

You are not a kid if I remember right.  I would not go CLX unless I was under 40 and/or had never suffered joint pains/ back pains. 

How is your back and shoulders Scottish?  How many floors are their on the properties local to you?  Do they tend to be higher than elsewhere in the country or are they smaller cottage types and you never see three high? 

Tiger stripes on white UPVC is something you should be aware of. Ask the guys on here how they deal with those. Basically in ground dirt that you can not remove with water.  Some customer do not mind and understand, but some do not like it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers, looks like SLX has won it as I will only be doing pvc cleaning with it. Maybe latter on I will use it for windows.

That brings me to my next point, what kind of Swivel adapter should I buy to  fit on?

Problem with this stuff is the amount of choice one has.

Swivels aren’t especially suited to doing gfs jobs as you need to scrub harder than on windows and the swivel can be awkward to get even pressure with. 

I'm thinking of just mixing up some cleaner in a bucket of hot water and dipping the brush in after I have wet the pvc. Then, give it a scrub and work my way along. I now realise that you don't leave cleaner on or it stains pvc. Rinsing with tap water from tap connection that I bought from internet or use my backpack. Don't need much equipment to do it.

I'm thinking of just mixing up some cleaner in a bucket of hot water and dipping the brush in after I have wet the pvc. Then, give it a scrub and work my way along. I now realise that you don't leave cleaner on or it stains pvc. Rinsing with tap water from tap connection that I bought from internet or use my backpack. Don't need much equipment to do it.
It's best to wet the surface first, buys you a bit more time before it dries. 

Had a great idea, sprayed my pvc with cleaner mix and went up ladder wi sponge to clean it. Time I got to the other end it had dried out and left a nice yellow stain on it. Lesson learned, a weak solution and one bit at a time and merrily work away.

Xtremes are great if you're not heavy on them and funds are not tight. I love mine! However, as has been noted, though they are more rigid they are not as robust as the SLX range. If you've no problem with the weight then I'd recomment the SLX. They will last longer.

However, if like me you get RSI easily then the Xtremes are hard to beat. Since using mine I've not had one serious bout of RSI whereas before I regularly suffered with it.

I use an Xtreme, but if you have never used a pole before then I would say the SLX because it is stronger.

If it were me I would:

Get the 35 foot SLX, but remove the bottom 3 sections. This will give you the length you need to reach the gutters, but without the weight. (It's easy to re-attach the 3 sections for when you do solar panels).

I would get an Extreme brush (for me, the trick is to have a light brush when cleaning gutters etc). I would get the natural hybrid brush (this has excellent scrubbing power due to the natural bristles) with fan jets (not pencil jets).

How I work:

I use the gardiners backpack with Screwfix No Nonsense Degreaser, diluted (but quite a strong mix). Plug in the brush and spray direct on the gutters etc. I do not pre-spray with water. However, I do give the gutters a good soaking.

I plug a hose into the customers tap, plug my pole in the other end (with the fan jets) and start cleaning.

No pure water needed.

When I have finished, and everything has finished dripping, I put a ladies 'towel turban' (google it) over my brush, reach up and dry the undersides of the soffits. It gets the little 'dirty' drips off and gives a nice clean finish.

I then use pure water to clean the windows (but you can clean however you fancy).

Hope this is helpful.

Robbo

Bought slx 18 & *5 extension, sill flocked brush wi fan jets & reinforced hose, univalve and male valve and i'm good to go. Get it Wednesday. We have 10 pvc jobs to do so we will try every method possible to see what is the best. I wonder if weak solution of hypo will damage the brush?  

Bought slx 18 & *5 extension, sill flocked brush wi fan jets & reinforced hose, univalve and male valve and i'm good to go. Get it Wednesday. We have 10 pvc jobs to do so we will try every method possible to see what is the best. I wonder if weak solution of hypo will damage the brush?  
I use TFR and it hasn't damaged mine so doubt hypo will damage yours as most are diluted 10:1

Back