Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar panel cleaning

Thelandofaus

Got asked to clean a bunch of solar panels today at a couple of residential houses. Just wondered if you need to turn them off at the mains before you clean them? Any other things I need to know before I clean them? Don't want to damage them my 1st time in doing them!!!

no need to turn them off or anything.

32ft pole minimum

solar panel brush

and pure water

and just becarful and safe with it

I havent cleaned a solar panel but am assuming just be careful... and wipe your brush over it gently /emoticons/smile.png Job done /emoticons/smile.png

Hi guys.

In our experience, it is better to turn the array off which can be done at the flick of a switch. This is especially true if you have others working for you. Would you want electrocution being in your accident book? Me neither! It has happened, so we don't take the chance....

Hi guys.

In our experience, it is better to turn the array off which can be done at the flick of a switch. This is especially true if you have others working for you. Would you want electrocution being in your accident book? Me neither! It has happened, so we don't take the chance....

solar panels would continue producing electricity even if they have cut off the power supply and even if the panels have been switched off at the switchboard.

solar panels would continue producing electricity even if they have cut off the power supply and even if the panels have been switched off at the switchboard.

Hi RC.

I work closely with 2 major installers, not electricians who are start-ups. Both installers insist on checking panels with a thermal imaging camera for hotspots and then still turn off systems which, without asking for the detail, I am assured stops the panels producing power and thereby eliminates completely the risk of shock to someone cleaning them. Just wondering how panels can still produce if they are switched off?

Hi RC.

I work closely with 2 major installers, not electricians who are start-ups. Both installers insist on checking panels with a thermal imaging camera for hotspots and then still turn off systems which, without asking for the detail, I am assured stops the panels producing power and thereby eliminates completely the risk of shock to someone cleaning them. Just wondering how panels can still produce if they are switched off?
i also work alongside a major installer here too, not just joe blogs off the street.

at the moment we are just sorting out a contract for cleaning of all the local councils solar pannels, i know one system has over 150 pannels on it. plus about another 18 sites with similar amounts on.

Most solar arrays have two kill switches on either side of the inverter. That makes for places that need to be turned off before the thing is really … OFF. Even after this array is OFF, the panels are still ON. They are always ON during the day. You can’t cover them and turn them OFF. Snow won’t turn them OFF. Nothing except nighttime will turn them OFF. The only way to turn the OFF is to remove the J-Box and wires, which will destroy them … so rule of thumb … solar panels are always ON during the day … no matter what you do.

Back