Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dry film left after cleaning glass

windymillers

I have picked up a few jobs the last couple of weeks where the customer said their previous window cleaner left smears all over the glass and skipped windows.

One actually thought he had chucked dirty water over the glass because he did not want the job anymore and apparently he did not seem

bothered when he was dumped.

He charged £7, I charge £15 but they seem willing to pay that as I am there much longer and do a more thorough job. They also gave a £5 tip.

But yesterday I had a call after leaflet dropping and the old couple said they were not happy with the current window cleaner, windows and frames were

filthy I expect from the recent snow. I cleaned the frames with a damp cloth, mopped and squeegeed the windows, detailed and checked for smears.

All looked clear but when I walked back to the car for dry microfiber cloth the lady knocked on the window and pointed out to me a dry film on the first inch around a few panes. It wiped off with a microfiber. I double and triple checked all the other windows but I could tell I would not be their regular window cleaner.

They never did look at the frames which took most of the time.

I am wondering what this film is, it did not show up immediately after cleaning.

fairy liquid can cause a film if the windows have been cleaned trad before.fairy is a used by loads and is known to leave a film that can attract dust.

I use W5 from Lidl and have been since early January, this is a new problem I have noticed this week on a couple of jobs.

I wash all my cloths and rags each weekend.

I was using an old T shirt to clean the frames which had been used on the job before.

The Microfiber cloth I used was the first time it had been used since being washed.

wet detailing cloth will leave a film round the edge of glass.
Thank-you for that, I think that might be the cause then.

The panes were so filthy so I gave them a good mopping right to the edge and past onto the beading, squeegeed off the solution and then used a damp cloth to wipe the suds off the beading and probably was careless with the cloth and wiped the first inch of the glass too.

I will modify my technique.

Back