Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Been 2 years and still finding it hard.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BlueClearChoice

I only work part time On the windows and would absolute love to do this full time. I can’t afford to buy a round for 6 times the amount and I’m always out putting leaflets In doors.

The only way I seem to get new work is once in a blue moon when someone sees me. Which I started out 20 years ago. So hard it seems theses days getting work.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Putting out flyers isn't a bad idea, But you need to follow up with door knocking this gains new jobs at a greater rate people want to know who will be cleaning their windows and it's a chance to sell yourself and your service. 

I dropped 30 flyers one day whilst working in a street and I never got a single call, but 2 days later I went back and knocked the doors I gained all 6 clients that answered the door. Door knocking is the answer look on this site there is 2 canvassing firms advertising on here a few years ago were never heard off in window cleaning, They are out door knocking to get jobs it ain't rocket science 

I only work part time On the windows and would absolute love to do this full time. I can’t afford to buy a round for 6 times the amount and I’m always out putting leaflets In doors.

The only way I seem to get new work is once in a blue moon when someone sees me. Which I started out 20 years ago. So hard it seems theses days getting work.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

What's the call back statistic of leaflet drops these days - isn't it a quarter of 1%? So you might get one equiry from 400 leaflets delivered. Then you aren't guaranteed to get the job if you quote so that makes the odds even less. If you get 50% of the jobs you quote, then only 1 in 800 leaflets is worth anything. This is why the motor trade no longer do mail shots - they just don't work.

If you are having an issue with gaining customers in the south, can you imagine how much more difficult it is getting customers in the financially depressed North East. As @Iron Giant says, you need to knock doors and show customers who they are dealing with. Looking professional is a neccessity.

I worked all day Saturday and got 3 walk up enquiries whose details I past onto another cleaner as our cleaning shedule is over booked at present. In the early days, we found working Saturdays worked well for us with regard to new enquiries.

You also need to work your current customer base. If your customers are happy with the service you provide, then ask them is any of their friends living close by could do with your services. Most of our customers have come from existing customer recommendations. Knock each door around your current customer's house. We found this also worked and have pockets of customers in various places.

Look for additional add on services such as cleaning the garage door, gutter clearing, gutter, fascia and soffit cleaning and conservatory roof cleaning etc. We have a few trad cleaners who won't do that  extra stuff in our area. We have 2 customers that we do a full gutter clear, conservatory roof and fascia clean once a year who have a regular traditional window cleaner. I always smile because there is one month a year they get told to 'leave it this time as the windows have just been cleaned'. :1f603:

Perhaps you could also change the area you are canvassing in. We had a couple of window cleaners who canvassed the houses on the back roads between the local villages and got good results and prices. Often these people are overlooked because canvassers focus their attention on areas with higher population.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing a first clean this Good Friday as being told last window cleaner ain't being seen since October. Hoping to gain quite few more in a small estate/cul-de-sac of 25 houses.

County Durham Lad

Putting out flyers isn't a bad idea, But you need to follow up with door knocking this gains new jobs at a greater rate people want to know who will be cleaning their windows and it's a chance to sell yourself and your service. 

I dropped 30 flyers one day whilst working in a street and I never got a single call, but 2 days later I went back and knocked the doors I gained all 6 clients that answered the door. Door knocking is the answer look on this site there is 2 canvassing firms advertising on here a few years ago were never heard off in window cleaning, They are out door knocking to get jobs it ain't rocket science 
Do you knock and canvass on doors that have window cleaners already?

Right i'll tell you the secret. My mate started cleaning pvc last month and now he has the whole street. He chaps the door and hands over the leaflet and explains the cost £35 a side and what houses he is doing. You need to have bottle and my mate has it in spades. Their windy cleaner not to happy but he will not do it so its fair game.

Do you knock and canvass on doors that have window cleaners already?
Yes. If they are happy with their window cleaner then they will tell you they already have one. That's fine - thank them for their time but before you leave ask them for the window cleaners name. Some won't know but others might tell you. When you get outside take a note of the house number and the cleaners name. It will just take a few seconds but should you later hear that 'John' has stopped window cleaning due to whatever, you have a list of some of his customers you can knock again.

Yes. If they are happy with their window cleaner then they will tell you they already have one. That's fine - thank them for their time but before you leave ask them for the window cleaners name. Some won't know but others might tell you. When you get outside take a note of the house number and the cleaners name. It will just take a few seconds but should you later hear that 'John' has stopped window cleaning due to whatever, you have a list of some of his customers you can knock again.
Would you ask them questions in regards to what their window cleaner currently provides for them? (I know in my area where I live, the window cleaners more or less just clean the glass the trad way), whereas I would like to get started cleaning the actual window (glass, frame and cill). I don't want to be treading on any ones toes, and definitely won't be undercutting no-one. But I do like the idea of getting the name and writing down, just in case the cleaner does stop. Thanks for the reply :).

Would you ask them questions in regards to what their window cleaner currently provides for them? (I know in my area where I live, the window cleaners more or less just clean the glass the trad way), whereas I would like to get started cleaning the actual window (glass, frame and cill). I don't want to be treading on any ones toes, and definitely won't be undercutting no-one. But I do like the idea of getting the name and writing down, just in case the cleaner does stop. Thanks for the reply :).

This also means you have to keep a record of the street and houses you canvassed in a manageable form you can refer back to.

Sometimes its how you talk to your potential customer that makes all the difference.

So if you see a house that has clean glass but dirty window frames then you could modify your approach when talking to the home owner.

"Hi, I'm a window cleaner and looking to grow my round in this area. Do you need a window cleaner?" will more than likely just get a 'No' as they already have one.

But if you say, "Hi, I'm sorry to disturb you but I'm a local window cleaner looking to extend the services I offer to new customers in your area which includes cleaning the windows as well as the frames and doors. I'm sure having the offer of a more comprehensive service will be of interest to you wouldn't it?"

You are looking to ask questions that a customer can't really answer no to without giving a reason. The reason he gives is called an objection and you then have something to work with.

If I'm in a clothing store which isn't often, I love it when a sales assistant comes up to me and asks me if he or she can help me. My typical answer is that I'm beyond help and then wait to see how they answer that one. Often they don't learn and move onto the next customer and ask the exact same question. If that customer says no then where do they go from there. The customer is in the shop for a reason, but the sales person has lost the opportunity to sell them what they need. A little later the shop assistant looses his/her job because sales have dropped off. They don't understand it but whose fault was it to begin with?

However, if they stopped and observed the customer for a moment, then they could take the conversation to a higher level. "Hi, I see you are looking at ties. May I recommend you look at the machine washable ties over here sir as they don't have to be dry cleaned. I see you were looking at blue ones so presume you want one to go with a suit you already have."  The customer is being asked involvement questions.

You need to apply the same principal. You want your potential customer to happily buy into your services, because in your heart you know you will be giving them a better service than they are currently getting.

A cleaner who does trad could also just as well clean the frames as well, so if he only does half a job then sooner or later someone is going to offer an upgraded service, especially with wfp.

In the end its the customer who chooses who he will pay for cleaning his windows, not the current window cleaner.

This also means you have to keep a record of the street and houses you canvassed in a manageable form you can refer back to.

Sometimes its how you talk to your potential customer that makes all the difference.

So if you see a house that has clean glass but dirty window frames then you could modify your approach when talking to the home owner.

"Hi, I'm a window cleaner and looking to grow my round in this area. Do you need a window cleaner?" will more than likely just get a 'No' as they already have one.

But if you say, "Hi, I'm sorry to disturb you but I'm a local window cleaner looking to extend the services I offer to new customers in your area which includes cleaning the windows as well as the frames and doors. I'm sure having the offer of a more comprehensive service will be of interest to you wouldn't it?"

You are looking to ask questions that a customer can't really answer no to without giving a reason. The reason he gives is called an objection and you then have something to work with.

If I'm in a clothing store which isn't often, I love it when a sales assistant comes up to me and asks me if he or she can help me. My typical answer is that I'm beyond help and then wait to see how they answer that one. Often they don't learn and move onto the next customer and ask the exact same question. If that customer says no then where do they go from there. The customer is in the shop for a reason, but the sales person has lost the opportunity to sell them what they need. A little later the shop assistant looses his/her job because sales have dropped off. They don't understand it but whose fault was it to begin with?

However, if they stopped and observed the customer for a moment, then they could take the conversation to a higher level. "Hi, I see you are looking at ties. May I recommend you look at the machine washable ties over here sir as they don't have to be dry cleaned. I see you were looking at blue ones so presume you want one to go with a suit you already have."  The customer is being asked involvement questions.

You need to apply the same principal. You want your potential customer to happily buy into your services, because in your heart you know you will be giving them a better service than they are currently getting.

A cleaner who does trad could also just as well clean the frames as well, so if he only does half a job then sooner or later someone is going to offer an upgraded service, especially with wfp.

In the end its the customer who chooses who he will pay for cleaning his windows, not the current window cleaner.

That is what I thought mate, but in my thread I got told that if the customer states they have a window cleaner, just move on. But then I can't really tell the customer the services I offer and maybe have them think, that service sounds better for the money (I wouldn't undercut a current window cleaner). Am I thinking wrong here? I have canvassed for a double glazing company, maybe my mind is too fixed on getting customers, but if everyone just said - ok  and moved on, you would be missing a lot of business, surely?

That is what I thought mate, but in my thread I got told that if the customer states they have a window cleaner, just move on. But then I can't really tell the customer the services I offer and maybe have them think, that service sounds better for the money (I wouldn't undercut a current window cleaner). Am I thinking wrong here? I have canvassed for a double glazing company, maybe my mind is too fixed on getting customers, but if everyone just said - ok  and moved on, you would be missing a lot of business, surely?

If they have a window cleaner and they are happy with dirty frames then that's fine. Just move onto the next door.

I was just trying to put the point forward that you can tell them about the additional service you add to glass cleaning before they raise an objection. It might just get them to reassess their situation. That's all.

Doesn't matter how long it takes.

We are all different, just keep going and you will get where you want to be.

I've been doing this now 2 years full time and about 3 years and 4 months in total.

I've just hit the 400 customer mark this month.

It takes time and more importantly it takes patience. It'll come just keep plugging away.

Do a good job and build a good reputation for yourself, Reputation takes time to build when you have a good name the work will come to you, can be frustrating the first year or so but take all the advise given on this thread and hang on in there.

If they have a window cleaner and they are happy with dirty frames then that's fine. Just move onto the next door.

I was just trying to put the point forward that you can tell them about the additional service you add to glass cleaning before they raise an objection. It might just get them to reassess their situation. That's all.
I appreciate it mate, thanks for the replies!

Doesn't matter how long it takes.

We are all different, just keep going and you will get where you want to be.

I've been doing this now 2 years full time and about 3 years and 4 months in total.

I've just hit the 400 customer mark this month.

It takes time and more importantly it takes patience. It'll come just keep plugging away.

That's the optimum, 400 customers. Can you squeeze in anymore? What about add ons, do you do them?

. I don't want to be treading on any ones toes, and definitely won't be undercutting no-one.
Give me you're address and I'll stop down and bang your head against a brick wall for you as you obviously seem to like doing it your self. 

If you are not going to knock EVERY door (only excluding pikey ones) then give up now.   If you're bothered about what other window cleaners are doing on a street then give up now.  

Asdas, Tescos, Morrisons are always hiring.  Don't know about Waitrose though, too posh for round here. 

Knock knock.....

Hello? 

Hi there, I clean your neighbours windows and wondered if your need a regular reliable window cleaner? 

OPT 1:  We have one already

Ok thanks. You have my card call me if he ever let's you down. 

OPT 2: How much? 

£15 per month. Windows frame work sills and doors, will text the night before so you know we're coming and you can pay online so we aren't disturbing you of an evening. 

Job done. 

OPT 3:  No thanks. 

Have a great day. 

Canvassing is not rocket science it's numbers (So is rocket science but you get the point) 

As for other window cleaners I've said this a thousand times before and I'll say it again......  I'll care about what they think when they start paying my bills and feeding my family.   

If they want to go for a pint after work and be all nice nice that's sound, I'll share a pint with anyone but during working hours I don't care who you think you're customers are, if I'm out knocking doors I'm gonna knock them all. 

Give me you're address and I'll stop down and bang your head against a brick wall for you as you obviously seem to like doing it your self. 

If you are not going to knock EVERY door (only excluding pikey ones) then give up now.   If you're bothered about what other window cleaners are doing on a street then give up now.  

Asdas, Tescos, Morrisons are always hiring.  Don't know about Waitrose though, too posh for round here. 

Knock knock.....

Hello? 

Hi there, I clean your neighbours windows and wondered if your need a regular reliable window cleaner? 

OPT 1:  We have one already

Ok thanks. You have my card call me if he ever let's you down. 

OPT 2: How much? 

£15 per month. Windows frame work sills and doors, will text the night before so you know we're coming and you can pay online so we aren't disturbing you of an evening. 

Job done. 

OPT 3:  No thanks. 

Have a great day. 

Canvassing is not rocket science it's numbers (So is rocket science but you get the point) 

As for other window cleaners I've said this a thousand times before and I'll say it again......  I'll care about what they think when they start paying my bills and feeding my family.   

If they want to go for a pint after work and be all nice nice that's sound, I'll share a pint with anyone but during working hours I don't care who you think you're customers are, if I'm out knocking doors I'm gonna knock them all. 
Sorry  :1f602:  . Thanks for the reply, I've read it a couple of times now and you are right. I have a nice spot of bungalows I am going to knock, it will help me get started and don't need a lot of expensive equipment if I can get a few of them, I will also be offering them add-on jobs since bungalows will be much easier to reach the gutter and fascia etc.

Sorry  :1f602:  . Thanks for the reply, I've read it a couple of times now and you are right. I have a nice spot of bungalows I am going to knock, it will help me get started and don't need a lot of expensive equipment if I can get a few of them, I will also be offering them add-on jobs since bungalows will be much easier to reach the gutter and fascia etc.
Quick question are you insured? If not, get some it's imperative from a health and safety point of view and a good selling point! If so, is there any small local shopping centres or retail opportunities around your area? If you are struggling to get work domestically, diversify, mix it up, also do wfp and trad work. If you get some commercial work in say a shop for example, do a good job for a reasonable price, maybe the staff will enquire about you cleaning their windows at home etc. It happens to me so many times. That gives you an opportunity to get into that particular domestic area. Also, if you are cleaning a store or stores locally, the locals that shop there will see you, so you are advertising yourself whilst working. Sometimes it's just lucky timing thats gets you a job, right place at right time.

I chat to everyone, I'm polite and yap to strangers..... at the end of the day it's nice to be nice and sure you never know who you are talking to could be your next job. Being approachable is a good step to getting the foot in the door so to speak, making yourself familiar to people is a good thing and again advertising yourself. The thing about commercial work is that there is a high turn over, for the most part no loyalty, a lot will tender work out annually too. If the current supplier gets sloppy, lazy or prices too high they will be open to change. Doing domestic and commercial gives you options and opens you up to a wider audience IMO.

As regards under cutting, I have been doing this since 1997 and I have never under cut anyone or chased anyone elses work and I have never had any issues getting or keeping work. There is plenty of glass around the place and more than enough to go around, drive around your area, there is glass everywhere that has to and will get cleaned. I work in shopping centres where there are 13 or 14 window cleaners, it can be crazy when new stores open but it is swings and roundabouts you can't get em all.

It is each to their own and all that everyone has their own way of doing things, but being cutthroat about things is not the way I want to go about my business & I have had large 'round' or workload for the last few decades... even through the recession. You will butt heads with other cleaners at some point, it is absolutely inevitable. If I go into a store or I get a tap on the shoulder from a potential customer, my price is my price I do not ask a single thing about any other cleanes, quotes or what they do etc. I don't price on time e.g. how long I think it will take, I price on difficulty of the clean. I hate that s**t of potentials telling me price/info of current supplier and wanting it cheaper, straight off the bat that is a red flag for me. If their current supplier is doing a really s**t job or is taking the mick that is a different story, I say sack him first and then talk to me.

Anyways i've gone off on one lol. Basically be aware of your surroundings, glass is everywhere just a matter of looking for opportunities and putting the time and effort to put yourself in the picture for these jobs. There is not an unlimited supply of window cleaners, the work is there, you just have to look for it and if you get a chance make sure you take it. I wish you and the original poster the best of luck anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back