Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO filter replacement

Mike@DWC

Hi folks, I’m new to the forum and have gained a lot of useful info starting my business which I must thank you all for. 

I am running a 450 gpd ro unit. The 3 pre  filters are due to be changed. Which option is the best way to protect the membranes:

1. A set of 3 pre filters ?

2. A sediment filter & carbon fiberdyne ?

I produce my pure water on a new build housing estate so I’m guessing there will be loads of sediment in the water supply. I understand the carbon fiberdyne is a 3in1 filter but wondered if ‘option 2’ above would help protect the ro membranes better. 

Also, is the pre filter life 10k litres (waste + pure @ 50/50 ratio? I know the carbon fiberdyne is 38k litres. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Cheers

All you need is a sediment filter and a fiberdyne carbon block @Mike@DWC. The third filter is not necessary. The fiberdyne has a service life of 38k as you've noted.

Yes, the fiberdyne is more expensive but a GAC carbon block filter only has a service life of 10k (5k pure and 5K waste.)

A fiberdyne prefilter will also do the job of a sediment filter as well, but we don't chance it as our water can, at times, be full of sediment. They only cost 'pennies' anyway. (Our Fiberdyne lasts us about 3 months, but on occassion I have had to replace the sediment filter once a month. If I didn't I would have to replace the Fiberdyne filter every month which would be rather expensive.)

The fiberdyne carbon block removes chlorine from both pure and waste water. So if you have a 50/50 pure to waste ratio you should expect to get 19,000 litres of pure. We use a sub meter to tell us when to change our fiberdyne filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first r/o we got was similar to yours with three filter housings. The first was sediment and the second was a carbon block filter. The water then went to the three membrane housings. The pure from each of these then went to the third filter which was filled with resin. 

We now have a 4040 with 20" prefilters. We aren't using as much water as we used to so the prefilters are lasting a little longer. The service life of a 20" fiberdyne is 77k so we get about half that as pure. I found the only way to monitor the water used is with a sub meter which is fitted between the prefilters and the r/o membrane. I did it this way as there were 3 of us drawing water and had no idea how much water we were using. If one of the lads drew water in the morning after I had left to go cleaning, I might not know as the IBC would be full by the time I came back in the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce

I use the ro to fill a water butt then use a transfer pump to fill barrels. This way allows me to keep a tally of the amount of litres of water the ro is producing.  If I eventually progress to a van mount a water meter would be a very useful addition. 

All you need is a sediment filter and a fiberdyne carbon block @Mike@DWC. The third filter is not necessary. The fiberdyne has a service life of 38k as you've noted.

Yes, the fiberdyne is more expensive but a GAC carbon block filter only has a service life of 10k (5k pure and 5K waste.)

A fiberdyne prefilter will also do the job of a sediment filter as well, but we don't chance it as our water can, at times, be full of sediment. They only cost 'pennies' anyway. (Our Fiberdyne lasts us about 3 months, but on occassion I have had to replace the sediment filter once a month. If I didn't I would have to replace the Fiberdyne filter every month which would be rather expensive.)

The fiberdyne carbon block removes chlorine from both pure and waste water. So if you have a 50/50 pure to waste ratio you should expect to get 19,000 litres of pure. We use a sub meter to tell us when to change our fiberdyne filter.

Have you got a link to the best place to buy fiberdne filters, iI I too am looking at changing my three prefilters in my 450 10 inch ro. So your saying you need two filters not three..?

Latest Posts

Back