Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Would you go back

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nicky

Cleaned a gutter out 22december , had a phone call today saying water was coming out over the gutters down spout blocked I think. When I cleaned out the gutters they were flushed out after cleaning and the water cleared away well, they want me to go back 24mile round trip and re clean them for nothing . 12 weeks is a long time to wait and call someone back, when we had heavy rain in January & February they didn’t call, so would you go back for free

No leaves will have fallen off the trees apart from oak trees after 22nd of December. I think you've left a swan neck blocked or the gutter was blocked at the bottom of the down pipe and water has back filled up to the gutter. I've had down pipes so blocked that there was a core of hardened muck at the bottom of the down pipe not allowing water past it and the water having to go up the pipe and then overflowing out of the gutter. I'd be tempted to go back.

Do the gutters go into a drain away or into an open drain? If into a drain away then you are not responsible if they've backed up. 

I would suggest that if you go back and can show that it's a below ground blockage then they pay you for your time. If it's something you've missed then it's an expensive lesson. 

This is why i allways rod the down pipe from the swan neck using a hand held drain unblocker from wickes basically just a bendy piece of metal wire a few meters in length.  Them swan necks are a nightmare especially if the person who fitted them uses a screw to keep it in place. Only takes one piece of moss to block the swan neck up again. Personally id explain its been 12 weeks and will charge a call out fee. No point in going back if its not a regular customer and this is another reason why i dont do fsg cleans or clears for non customers. 

This is what you need takes 5 mins 

www.screwfix.com/p/drain-unblocker/11325?tc=BT2&ds_kid=92700022855719489&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPuWl_uP2gIVhLftCh2orAMsEAQYAiABEgLOIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CILtqZr7j9oCFTAS0wodpNoO2w

At the end of the day you were clearing the Gutters. If the downpipe is blocked then that's another contract.
You're not serious are you? 

When hired to clear gutters we've always cleared the channels, made sure all down pipes are clear and not blocked and also clean the outsides F/S

If you were called to my house to clear the gutters and tried to tell me that the down pipes were an additional extra not included in 'clearing gutters' the only noise you'd hear would be hysterical laughter as so dialed the next number on my list to get the job done right. 

You need to use good judgement. 12 weeks is pushing the boat out. If you live in a house with overhanging trees or an extremely mossy roof, then be prepared for constant gutter cleaning. Ive cleared gutters out on many a house that hadn’t been done for 40 or more years and theres been nothing in them, other than the odd bit of roof tile. Then we have customers that pay us 3 times a year and they’re always bad.

One lady we cleared the gutters for has a really mossy roof. 2 weeks later we had an exceptionally heavy rainstorm, it was torrential for 12 hours straight. She rang me up and said the downpipe was blocked. I thought hmmm is it my fault. Turned out it wasnt. The sheer volume of water had carried all the loose moss off the roof and blocked the swan neck. It was extraordinary. I didn’t charge her extra as she was a lady in her 80s and even though i knew it wasnt my fault i just unblocked it. Garage gutter so very low anyway and 1/4 mile from home.

Another time i cleared gutters and about 4 days later we had a major freeze. Then it rained heavily. Guy rings me up saying theres water gushing down the wall, i went there and the plastic gutter had contracted in the cold and shot out of its fitting. Easy fix but still a return trip.

These things happen. The weather plays havoc in this country. Main thing is, charge enough to start with to make a profit because you’re gonna get dealt an unlucky hand at some point or other. And dont take jobs miles away from home if you can help it.

I went to a gutter job today. (three storey, blocked downpipe, not the best access, a dozen steps and on a slope)

Quoted £70. He said the other guy quoted £35. I said wow you’re on a winner there mate. Cant believe he asked for another quote. I just cant compete with prices like that people are working for shrapnel these days it seems.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You're not serious are you? 

When hired to clear gutters we've always cleared the channels, made sure all down pipes are clear and not blocked and also clean the outsides F/S

If you were called to my house to clear the gutters and tried to tell me that the down pipes were an additional extra not included in 'clearing gutters' the only noise you'd hear would be hysterical laughter as so dialed the next number on my list to get the job done right. 

You cant really price for a job until you know the facts. I cleared a gutter £40 but vegetation was growing through the cast downpipe joint and I couldn't clear it. I told the woman I would need to remove it and replace with plastic. If folk wait 20yrs to get their gutters and downpipes cleaned then that's up to them. I don't really want the job.

You cant really price for a job until you know the facts. I cleared a gutter £40 but vegetation was growing through the cast downpipe joint and I couldn't clear it. I told the woman I would need to remove it and replace with plastic. If folk wait 20yrs to get their gutters and downpipes cleaned then that's up to them. I don't really want the job.
This is why I NEVER quote for what I can't see mate but when quoting gutter cleaning the price includes unlocking downpipes.  Simple as that. 

Sorry mate, that’s just nonsense 

You go up and clear the gutter and obviously try and clear the running outlet. If the drainpipe is blocked you tell the client and ask them what they want you to do about it. You may need to take the joint apart and put a rod down it. So more time means more money. Is that not how everybody works? you are not a charity

This is why I NEVER quote for what I can't see mate but when quoting gutter cleaning the price includes unlocking downpipes.  Simple as that. 

No one can quote for what they cant see. That's why you quote to clear the gutter and the running outlet. Then you tell the client your findings. You are actually surveying their property when you work near their roof. like you have a tile missing, you have a hole where a bird is nesting or a squirrel getting in. Difference with me and everyone else is that I am a joiner. I can fix nearly everything and often do so that's how they all trust me to give them an honest answer. I hope that clears it up but I understand why you don't do add ons. why do you live in bitterness?

You go up and clear the gutter and obviously try and clear the running outlet. If the drainpipe is blocked you tell the client and ask them what they want you to do about it. You may need to take the joint apart and put a rod down it. So more time means more money. Is that not how everybody works? you are not a charity
No I’m not a charity. Been in this game 22 years so no need for the patronising.

Lets find out, does anyone on here not include the downpipes when estimating gutters? I don’t know a single windie who doesn’t, also after being on this forum for years, I can’t remember a single member saying they don’t either ?

No I’m not a charity. Been in this game 22 years so no need for the patronising.

Lets find out, does anyone on here not include the downpipes when estimating gutters? I don’t know a single windie who doesn’t, also after being on this forum for years, I can’t remember a single member saying they don’t either ?
I always cleared downpipes, because they are part of the whole guttering system. 

I charge to clear the gutters and check the downpipes.  If downpipes are blocked and need disassembly I charge extra.  This is explained at time of quote and photos of problem and remedial work are supplied.

Everyone happy

If you are not including the clearing of the downpipe then you are not charging enough.  It is this simple, you quote to clear the gutters and the downpipe.  If you like you can even say "I do not just clear the gutter like some people, I clear the downpipe as well as there is no point having clear gutters and a blocked downpipe".  There you go, costed and truthful.  And you never know, you might be very lucky and find that this time the downpipe is clear.  It does not take long, you do not need special skills, a crazy desire to climb a ladder now and again is all it takes...  I can not wait to do a proper gutter clean again.

Back