Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any one here not do add-ons?

brianbadonde

I'm starting to feel a bit fed up  with ad-ons. The window cleaning I can do in the rain. Getting up a ladder however to do gutters, and sometimes  fascias however, is affected by the weather. I've had to put an awful lot of jobs off lately due to the wind and rain. Also, I enjoy cleaning windows. I don't particularly enjoy gutter and fascia cleaning. 

Is there any one here who doesn't bother with ad-ons? As it seems to something expected of window cleaners. If I could just canvass up a few more regulars I could do away with these jobs. What are peoples thoughts? 

I don't.

Had a regular cleaning job a while back, it paid well at £300+ a month, but it had to be done every Friday afternoon so didn't fit my schedule very well. Was happy to give that away.

Sacked em off all together, dodgy shoulders and elbows and they're a p.i.a to do, I have got enough going on with residential window cleaning which means i have also sacked off 2 big school contracts which had to be pre-arranged dates and times.

For us it’s necessary as the market is saturated with window cleaners around here. I would love to build up a round large enough to see us day in day out all year round but its just not possible as many are tied up with long term window cleaners.
We work as a pair so add ons are far easier and make up around 50% of our work. If you’re on your own its labour intensive and difficult when ladders get involved.
Work is work to me, no pain no gain. And we’ve got the equipment so we may as well use it!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Fair enough. My area has lots of window cleaners but there still seems to be lots of work. I'm certain with some door knocking I could fill in the gaps the add-ons leaves if I stop doing them. This is  the problem with add-ons, people seem to want them doing at a certain date/time and it messes with the regular work I have. 

The other problem I have with add-ons is I'm also a chimney sweep, so in the autumn and winter, it really gets too much!

Each to their own I guess. I personally quite enjoy add ons (at times), I only have 275ish customers (and half of them are 8weekly) so add ons probably make up 25% of my income. Investing in a gutter Vac was a great move for me, I probably go up on my big ladder once a month max now.

i agree it’s my labour intensive, and my arms & neck feel it after a big job, but I personally find just windows a little boring. And most of my best hourly rates/day rates have been from gutter jobs etc. 

But longer term if I had more then enough windows & were all really well priced then yeh maybe I’d change my mind 

I've done away with gutter cleaning and pressure washing and carpet cleaning. All too much faff involving carrying extra gear, setup etc.

The only add ons I do now are conny roofs and fsg, anything that can be done with the wfp gear. And even then price on the high side and only do them if asked I don't push it at all.

Try not to do add ons saying that got dreaded builders clean coming up next week, doing because good payer for time(hopefully) and follow on Monthly cleans, again hopefully.

I put a lot off at the moment due to weather and being behind on my window work
I all ways ask me next month or find somebody else they have been happy with that

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I was thinking about it (gutters etc) but honestly...everything I've read here and other places has put me right off. Think I'll just stick with the windows and garage doors and the like.

Yeah gutters and fascia cleaning seems to be the first choice add ons they always want. We do very few conny roofs, maybe 10-20 a year, jet washes again 10-20 a year. Quite enjoy a jet wash but conny roofs are hard graft especially in summer.
Grass cutting round should finally be starting again soon which is a really good earner as it’s twice a month april-October

FSG, solar panels and conservatory roofs for me - all done in the rain, I won’t do them in nice weather as I don’t have time so when it’s too wet/windy for the windows I go and do the add ons. I only do them for current customers though - mainly because I used to get a lot of enquiries for gutter cleans from my website but it’s got to be over 6 months since I’ve even had an enquiry.

I don't mind conny roofs so much. It's going up ladders to be honest. It's so much faffing about. I may just do what was said above, just pass it on.

I don't do add ons except internals and garage doors. 

If they want gutters or connys cleaned so still price it but pass it onto a mate. 
That's exactly what I do unless it's a new regular customer then I will fit them in on a weekend just to get them on the books, done a large conservatory roof last Saturday.

We are virtually maxed out now for the windows. 

Back