Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Brush? Why?

Green Pro Clean Ltd

For me it's the Gardiners sill brush.  the shape is great for all round good scrubbing and also it's a stiff bristled brush so works well with hot water. 

I also have flocked brush for leaded windows but I do find a flocked brush feels 'sticky' by comparison on the glass. 

Orderd some bits today from Gardiners so going to try the new DuPont brush and also a couple of others. 

I am starting to feel we no longer live in an industry where one brush suits all.  (both user and job)

So which brushes do you reach for and why? 

Superlite sill, good all rounder, need new brush so unsure whether to go with the universal or the Dupont brush next. Be interested to here your views as I know you use the universal.

We used to use sill brushes they are very good but I found I got very wet using them I think it was due to the bristles on the bottom flicking water off the sills , so I tried the supream stif with hot water and have used them ever since : we use one brush for all work just adjust the pressure on leaded and go side to side instead of up and down works fine no idear why they are good on plastic cleans to I personally think all Gardiner brushes are good but could do with more bristles on them like the old Vikan sill brushes used to have , have been thinking about trying a DuPont bristle brush as they might last longer have been hoping for reviews on it 

I've got one of those sill brushes too. I find its awesome for conservatory roof cleans, guttering & fascias and brings the dirt right off on a first time clean. I move onto the ultimate brush medium bristles for everything else. It is the middle of the road one they recommend when you don't know what you're looking for haha.

I need a new brush that removes the black fly stains. Picked up a few customers down by the wetlands centre and they have tons of black marks on frames and at the bottom of windows. I even resorted to cloth cleaning them the first time with one it was that bad.

I have settled on 2 brushes and thats all I ever use or buy now.

Extreme brush fitted to my 18 slx for regular maintenance work, light as possible setup.

Then a Gardiner's sill fitted to my 30 slx for first cleans , conny roofs and fsg.

If I could only have one brush it would be the sill. 

For me it's the Gardiners sill brush.  the shape is great for all round good scrubbing and also it's a stiff bristled brush so works well with hot water. 

I also have flocked brush for leaded windows but I do find a flocked brush feels 'sticky' by comparison on the glass. 

Orderd some bits today from Gardiners so going to try the new DuPont brush and also a couple of others. 

I am starting to feel we no longer live in an industry where one brush suits all.  (both user and job)

So which brushes do you reach for and why? 

The same as you except mine is the medium mixed.

The last brush I purchased was an Ultimate medium which is ok but I do like the shape of the sill brush with it being able to do windows and sills without having to find that ideal angle for cleaning the upper windows and the sills at the same time.

I could be tempted with a Universal sill brush next time but we have a collection of brushes that are still very useable and we need to use those first.

We also have a flocked brush on another pole with fan and pencil jets fitted for leaded windows.

I did have a stiff extreme on my SLX40 but the current brush I prefer is a Supreme soft flocked brush as it has a better clean at height with the way it splays.

Son won't use anything other than a stiff Supreme.

I've always avoided Ubix because of the fear of streaks, even on conservatory roof cleans I use Screwfix degreaser. Do you have to rinse more than you normally would? Does Ubix just rinse straight off?

Its TFR you have to be careful of by not letting it dry - wash and rinse while its still wet. We now stay away from TFR.

I have been using the ultimate stiff 14" with 4 red fan jets in it and am liking that.

Really liking the spray bars too.

Also like the du pont ultimate, is great at scrubbing.

Darren, I know you use hot I don’t so can only answer as a cold water user, if you use coldwater DuPont is in another league for instance today (I know bank Holiday) but I have been catching up The first 15 house we done were all leaded and I used the super lite compact flock which weighs 220g still less than your sill brush and when it came to the normal windows the DuPont went on first was the weight noticed then speed and cleaning is faster than any other brush I have used.

Saturday I done Connie roof started to use my flock sill brush after spraying it with degreaser then swapped to my DuPont just seem to fly thru the green crud. 

Also you mentioned that you are 6’4” I’m 6’2” and I just raise my arms to clean upper sills works for me and my son who takes after his mother a shortarse.

someone mentioned on here before about having a extreme pole and putting a house brick on the end well that’s what a sill brush feels like after use the ultimate range, I’m hardly a weakling but coming home less fatigue is better than being bushed. 

I have been using the ultimate stiff 14" with 4 red fan jets in it and am liking that.

Really liking the spray bars too.

Also like the du pont ultimate, is great at scrubbing.
Is that the gardiner’s large overspray bar do you mean?

Is that the gardiner’s large overspray bar do you mean?
No mate a rinse bar, I'm using it on my du pont natural bristle.

Between that and the 14" with 4x red fan jets I am definitely shaving good time off work days, and much less effort with rinsing on.

You got a photo of it attached on the dupont please

also are you using hot water for the 14” ultimate stiff?

New DuPont for me. Been using it 2/3 weeks and I love it.

I have a ultimate flocked for old leaded windows.

And I use the black flocked sill brush for gutters & fascias.

New DuPont for me. Been using it 2/3 weeks and I love it.

I have a ultimate flocked for old leaded windows.

And I use the black flocked sill brush for gutters & fascias.
That’s exactly my set up but I also bought some super lite compact flocks on special offer from gardiner’s half the price of the ultimate flock anD clean just as good but slightly heavier.

Gardiners sill brush for me. The regular brushes scratched sills when I used them. Tried a sill brush and never looked back. I have tried a flocked om leaded glass but the bristles are so soft that they don't take long to get matted and intefere with the pencil jets. 

Gardiners sill brush for me. The regular brushes scratched sills when I used them. Tried a sill brush and never looked back. I have tried a flocked om leaded glass but the bristles are so soft that they don't take long to get matted and intefere with the pencil jets. 
I have picked up so much work because of others scratching sills, buy a bumper for your brush never scratch a sill, I have always use them, even the old bumpers that have worn corners off old brushes I have glued several old bumpers onto new brushes. 

Latest Posts

Back