Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
P4dstar

Help me gain some direction please chaps!

So for the last year now i've been on here learning about WFP cleaning. I've gone from nothing to having a van and customers. I've built the round up to approx £500 PM while working a full-time job. I've waited until now to go full time cos i've got a wife and 4 kids to support. I am going into work tomorrow and handing in my resignation for my long standing 35k a year job to go full time. In the last few weeks thanks to the wonders of social media and a lot of walking and leaflet dropping I have doubled the round size from 250ish to 500ish and want to take the plunge. First question is, would you guys think I am making the right move at the right time of year? (Which was the aim)

Marketing wise so far I have;

• Built a credible website and just started an ad campaign with Google which is set to cost £25 for the first month and up to £125 a month after that.
  • Got a bunch of reviews on Google that ensures anyone local searching for a window cleaner finds me near the top
  • Listed myself on Yell, Yelp, BT Phonebook etc (And got reviews on some of these)
  • The van is sign written and I have embroidered uniforms and business cards etc.
  • Got a Facebook page again with a bunch of reviews and easy links to contact.

And to make sure I'm not another 'all the gear, no idea' I went out for free with a mate who showed me the ropes, watched youtube videos, took advice from seasoned veterans on here & practiced on friends and family before I actually started cleaning. This seems to have worked as I get some glowing reports and reviews about my works.

I guess I am now facing the fear of the unknown. I cannot continue a job that I am putting on the back burner for Window cleaning. I need to bring in 2k a month to pay the bills and intend for this to be much bigger and much better but for that I need to quadruple my business by the beginning of June.

I am mostly looking for advice on where I go from here. From mid May I will be full time. I went to try canvassing as I have worked in sales for years but found in this area over 70% of the houses have 'no cold caller' signs so I resorted to leaflet drops. This is no exaggeration either, I picked up yellow pages deliveries this week and dropped my leaflets with them, over 1000 doors and I kept count as I went, over 700 no cold caller signs!!

All I will say is I don't know your area and I don't know you. I do however wish you all the luck you require and say if you work as hard as you can as often as you can then you should succeed. 

Going self employed is a brave move and I tip my hat to all those that do. 

Just now, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

Rule 1: When a house has a sign that says 'No Cold Callers' knock on the door. 

Only twice in thousands of doors have I had that sign pointed out. 

Rule 2: When they point out that sign tell them thats why they have dirty windows. 😉

Thats some serious brass balls you got there dude. If I had the cash I would come to you guys for canvassing for that very reason haha.

Seriously 10 years in sales and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it :1f602:

3 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

All I will say is I don't know your area and I don't know you. I do however wish you all the luck you require and say if you work as hard as you can as often as you can then you should succeed. 

Going self employed is a brave move and I tip my hat to all those that do. 

Thanks dude. You have been a regular help over the last year.

My issue isn't working hard. I've worked 7 days a week between the 2 jobs since October. I will wake at 5 and sleep at 10 if thats what it takes.... I guess because I've written off canvassing on the next part of my journey I don't know how I will fill those hours. Should I just drop leaflets? I seem to get one customer for every 100 leaflets... Except the ones with the yellow pages, they were a waste of time! I'm looking for small tweaks of advice that have worked for others I guess.

If you already have 500 customers I would have thought you should be earning good money and as a sole trader that would be enough depending what type of properties they are price and frequency sounds like you have done well it’s a big leap of faith going self employed: I was in a dead end job and went self employed about 30 years ago never looked back best thing I ever did , you have to be self motivated to make it work it’s not for  everyone but it sounds like you have been working towards this for a while Ime sure you will succeed go for it 

Just now, Pjj said:

If you already have 500 customers I would have thought you should be earning good money and as a sole trader that would be enough depending what type of properties they are price and frequency sounds like you have done well it’s a big leap of faith going self employed: I was in a dead end job and went self employed about 30 years ago never looked back best thing I ever did , you have to be self motivated to make it work it’s not for  everyone but it sounds like you have been working towards this for a while Ime sure you will succeed go for it 

Yeah not 500 customers... £500 worth of regular cleans man haha. I would kill for 500 customers haha

Door knocking is the way ahead they see you for what you are rather than a faceless piece of paper face to face contact with the potential customer works well that’s how I built up my buisness I personally would never reply to a flyer could be any old pikey but if you see the person talk to them you you get a feel for them and trust is started , also recommendation is also a valuable thing we get 50+ % of all new jobs this way now 

Welcome to world of being self employed. You will now eat sleep and breathe window cleaning. Your life will now exist of window cleaning 24 a day. You will sometimes go to bed happy, sometimes you will go to bed worrying because you lost a customer today and you're wondering if you did something wrong and will this be a downward spiral? You will now have to be on your toes 24/7, looking out for earning opportunities. No holiday pay, no sick pay, tax returns, the list goes on but sometimes you have to take the leap.

Good luck!!

7 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Yeah not 500 customers... £500 worth of regular cleans man haha. I would kill for 500 customers haha

Ah ok got the wrong end of the stick , still it’s a good start keep up the good work