Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White bloom on leaded windows glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TJTOPCAT

Had a customer asked about a white bloom on her leaded UPVC windows.

Have been cleaning them wfp for a few years, has her conservatory cleaned each time and no lead, no problems.

Told her it is probably staining from lead.

Anyone else had this with lead.??

and is there a solution.??

Thanks Guys. [emoji1303]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have had the occasional one like this I sprayed the windows with a 10-1 mix of virosol then gave it a gentle scrub rinsed the lead came up like new as did the glass not had a problem since but I would stress be careful it doesn’t remove the glue from the lead and don’t rub to hard but it worked fine for me 

The reason I asked is that I've come across a white moldy substance growing on the glass inside some leaded windows. There's obviously not a lot we can do about that. However, the stuff I've seen on the outside of leaded windows seems to be the result of oxidisation of the lead. On a lot of modern leaded windows the lead now seems to be treated to stop this. Must be ten years since I last came across it and as I recall WFP was pretty inefective on it. I had to clean it by hand and it kept reapearing for some time after it was reinstalled.

I have had the occasional one like this I sprayed the windows with a 10-1 mix of virosol then gave it a gentle scrub rinsed the lead came up like new as did the glass not had a problem since but I would stress be careful it doesn’t remove the glue from the lead and don’t rub to hard but it worked fine for me 

I didn't know about Virosol back then. I'll have to log that away, just in case

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back