Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What a total result!

Green Pro Clean Ltd

About time!  At last PC Plod shows some common sense!  Thieving buggers will think twice if they know home owners will defend them self and family with potentially deadly results! 

I have nothing but admiration for the old chap! 

20180407_100427.jpg

They have to arrest him, that’s how it works , his story could of been a lie .

But they never charged him because they investigated it and his story checked out , the police acted totally professionally in this case .

Good on him fir defending himself and his wife against 2 intruders , this kind of story is the best deterrent to thieving scum .

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

He should have been asked to come to the Police Station to assist with their enquiries. I think he had gone through enough without having a murder charge pinned on him. 

The Police were very heavy handed with a 78 year old man. 

They have to arrest him, that’s how it works , his story could of been a lie .

But they never charged him because they investigated it and his story checked out , the police acted totally professionally in this case .

Good on him fir defending himself and his wife against 2 intruders , this kind of story is the best deterrent to thieving scum .

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
The way the law works means they have to arrest then interview then decide using the facts given whether to pass it on to the cps for prosecution

I have been arrested as a youth when a youth club I used to frequent was burgled the day after I had a big row with the guy who ran it and walked off

They took prints then checked them against forensics to eliminate me from their enquiries

Yes I had the hump about it but that is how the law works

Without arresting you you have no obligation to go to the police station and be interviewed about it

They obviously decided he feared for his safety enough to take such drastic measures as it is a grey area.. the law states you can use force proportionate to how much you yourself fear for your or your families safety 

What you feel is necessary somebody else in the same situation may not

He should have been asked to come to the Police Station to assist with their enquiries. I think he had gone through enough without having a murder charge pinned on him. 
The Police were very heavy handed with a 78 year old man. 
He didn’t have a murder charge pinned on him, he was never charged, they had to arrest him , if his story was false and they left he could of done a runner .

Do you understand the difference between being arrested and being charged ?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

He was arrested on suspicion of murder, he didn't have to be arrested. Don't you think he had already gone through enough. They could have interviewed him to assist their inquiries. A 78 year old man is going to do a runner  :1f602:

The way the law works means they have to arrest then interview then decide using the facts given whether to pass it on to the cps for prosecution

I have been arrested as a youth when a youth club I used to frequent was burgled the day after I had a big row with the guy who ran it and walked off

They took prints then checked them against forensics to eliminate me from their enquiries

Yes I had the hump about it but that is how the law works

Without arresting you you have no obligation to go to the police station and be interviewed about it

They obviously decided he feared for his safety enough to take such drastic measures as it is a grey area.. the law states you can use force proportionate to how much you yourself fear for your or your families safety 

What you feel is necessary somebody else in the same situation may not
You don't have to be arrested to be interviewed, they could have asked him to go to the Police Station to assist their enquiries. If he had refused then they would have had to arrest him. But to arrest him of suspicion of murder, rather than suspicion of manslaughter, if he had refused, is heavy handed. The dead man was well known as someone that targeted elderly people and was wanted over another burglary. 

He was arrested on suspicion of murder, he didn't have to be arrested. Don't you think he had already gone through enough. They could have interviewed him to assist their inquiries. A 78 year old man is going to do a runner  :1f602:
The problem with just interviewing him is that he can simply say no , they have no choice but to arrest him when he has killed someone .

You seem to be under the impression that they were rough with him or heavy handed when most likely were perfectly nice to him and treated him with respect , I would suggest that the arresting officers had the same opinion as you and me about what he did .

I was arrested years ago for something they and I both knew was bullshit but I still knew they had to arrest me and had no issue with it .

Under arrest you can say no comment or just refuse to answer. In my opinion there was other ways to get the information they required without arresting him on suspicion of murder. The old boy had gone through a very harrowing experience and they didn't have to compound it. That in my mind is heavy handed, you obviously have your own opinion but I wouldn't call you ridiculous for thinking it. 

I think he should get a medal for his bravery personally. Some years ago I caught 3 x scum breaking into a brand new house and gave chase and called the Fed's and what do you know ? It was me who got arrested and ended up with a 10 year caution! Hay-how British justice I guess.

This is the great example of how the law should work. Police covered all angles did everything right arrested him in case his story didn't check and means they can gather all evidence needed. Investigate quickly decide he's innocent and release him. Job done glad the old boy and wife are ok. What do gooders who think he shouldn't be arrested don't get is the copper probably got there in middle of night with dead body and someone with blood on hands in front of them. They can't go tell u what mate come on Wednesday at 10am for a chat if u fancy! They need all the evidence find out he was a burglar and guy is innocent and let him go. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That pikey burglar came from Orpington. That’s about 2 miles from me!! Oh wait, I forgot, them cowardly scum only pick on the vulnerable elderly 

This is the great example of how the law should work. Police covered all angles did everything right arrested him in case his story didn't check and means they can gather all evidence needed. Investigate quickly decide he's innocent and release him. Job done glad the old boy and wife are ok. What do gooders who think he shouldn't be arrested don't get is the copper probably got there in middle of night with dead body and someone with blood on hands in front of them. They can't go tell u what mate come on Wednesday at 10am for a chat if u fancy! They need all the evidence find out he was a burglar and guy is innocent and let him go. 
I promise you I'm anything but a do-gooder, the dead guy was a known peace of scum. The potential murderer was 78 years old. It was probably the potential murderer that rang the Police to report the crime. 

He could have been asked to voluntarily go to the Police Station there and then to assist with their enquiries. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that the arresting officers 'first responders' are rarely the guys that investigate.  They round up the bodies and it's passed on to the detectives to draw a clear conclusion. 

He was probably looked after really well, given a full medical and untold support.  

The fact he was arrested was merely a matter of due process.  

They got to the bottom of it and released without charge.  They had him as innocent anyway which is why he was 'bailed' so fast to start with.  Following process the officers possibly did everything in their power to get him out of custody as soon as possible. 

Once you work in the public sector, you will notice a pattern emerging. Everything is a procedure, if you don't follow procedure then a lawyer will ask why. You then have to justify it in a court of law. That's why its far better to follow procedure and no one can question it.

You’re right, the police would be heavily critised if they didn’t carry out a full investigation.

Before I go on I agree with what he did and what the outcome was.

His age can’t  be a barrier for justice and 78yr olds have done things wrong before.

The arrest only removes someone’s liberty and isn’t like you see on Police Interceptor all the time.

Many arrests are by appointment on arrival at a police station (and in company with a solicitor) & serve as a formality to apply full powers such as bail conditions. It’s just a way to control people. He’d have never been pushed around.

it’d have been a terrible ordeal for the chap either way, but they (the police) would be well aware of that.

glad it turned out the way it did!

Back