Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Driveway cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TheCheekMaster

I managed to get my pressure washer GX390 21lpm

I done my garden slabs which came out OK without hypo

Tried a part of my driveway by the door which did not come out good. 

Just used the lance with a turbo  nozzle.

Where am I going wrong or do I need to get a fsc? 

View attachment 13429

InShot_20180405_172340125.jpg

Is it me or am i being fussy - the bricks still don't look clean -  i have looked at some google images for before and after bricked driveways and the after pics does look cleaner but not like amazing, where as slabs do look really good

I would say put the hypo on after you have pressure washed not before.

Is it me or am i being fussy - the bricks still don't look clean -  i have looked at some google images for before and after bricked driveways and the after pics does look cleaner but not like amazing, where as slabs do look really good

I agree - hypo after not before :)

I would say put the hypo on after you have pressure washed not before.

I agree - hypo after not before :)

Genuine question why apply hypo after and not before ? We always apply first then pressure wash and very rarely have to re apply , I was under the impression that the hypo will kill the algy spores  and moss which it does within muinits moss is dead , then you are diluting and getting rid of the hypo whilst washing the drive if you apply hypo after shorley you would then have to rinse again taking more time ? 

I've seen the same - hypo on, wait 20 mins, rinse off or pressure wash off - never after

I'll be intererested to know why after too, unless it is only for bricked driveways

Hypo definitely after its been power washed leave for say 20 to 30 minutes then a gentle rinse around works a treat for me .The reasons why I personally wouldn't apply first I wouldn't fancy been around in that area as it's getting power cleaned and vapourised  I always use full ppe 2nd reason with my machine it cleans it thoroughly and then i simply apply the hypo for any really bad areas and a gentle rinse about completes the job bad s**t is hypo got to be treated with respect only my opinion though 

I've been thinking about this

Maybe you clean the drive and then can access whether this needs hypo or what areas need hypo and treat those areas.

I aint even started so im just trying to think about this logically.

I hear what ones are saying but if you only hypo after cleaning in various areas rather than the whole area you will get rapid re growth of the algy as pressure washing alone will not remove all the spores it might look ok now but in a few weeks it will start growing again , I have experimented with my own place over several years we are in cornwall a very damp area and algy re growth is very rapid down hear 

what works really well is this 

wet the whole area down first 

apply hypo mix4-1 

leave to dwell for up to 45 muinits 

reapply hypo if needed and dwell again 

if ok pressure wash with fsc finishing off edges with vario or turbo nozzle 

rinse down 

gold standard then apply algo clear pro as a preventative for re growth 

this is the way we do it as it stays cleaner for longer like this , Ime not saying this way is right or wrong but this is what I have found works best , not all customers will pay extra to have it treated with the bio .

health and safety issues with hypo , I have to agree it’s not a pleasant product to use and I wouldn’t want to use it 8 hours a day 5 days a week , but if using a course spray evan on building walls overspray is minimal , if there might be a problem then we apply it through a wfp brush and rub it in . I have never had a problem using hypo as we are always careful and use ppe I find the fsc keeps the vast majority of the dirty hypo water on the ground but if using a turbo nozzle then extream caution would need to be used as it throws it everywhere, it’s good to hear how ones do jobs as we can all learn from each other with what works or doesn’t as the case may be 

Every drive I do i clean normally then apply hypo all over the drive with special attention to them horrid black blobs. I DO NOT rinse I let it dry off normally. I sand a few days later and it looks the dogs dangling bits with NO problems.

I normally use a flat surface cleaner on block paving first as this lifts the worst of the grime and gives the whole area a thorough soaking. Then I apply the hypo, usually  a 3 - 5% mix depending on how bad it is. Then I go and have my cuppa and sarnie in the van for 45mins.

Come back to it and give it a light pressure wash off, I’m not saying that this is the right way to do it, just that this is what works for me.

That's a belter of a photo for your webpage, before and after. :1f609:
Thank you, the customer was very happy too and that’s whats important ?

Every drive I do i clean normally then apply hypo all over the drive with special attention to them horrid black blobs. I DO NOT rinse I let it dry off normally. I sand a few days later and it looks the dogs dangling bits with NO problems.

Ok I would be afrade of the customer or pets walking on it and taking it into the house or them burning there feet : what about the salts left behind theses will encourage rapid re growth of algy as well if it’s not rinsed off ??? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies.

How do you stop the over flow of hypo running into the neighbours driveway or pavements. I've got the battery sprayer so guessing it just needs to be applied carefully. 

Would you use the wash down nozzle when rinsing the hypo off, I would assume it would dilute it enough not to bleach the other drive 

Thanks for your replies.

How do you stop the over flow of hypo running into the neighbours driveway or pavements. I've got the battery sprayer so guessing it just needs to be applied carefully. 

Would you use the wash down nozzle when rinsing the hypo off, I would assume it would dilute it enough not to bleach the other drive 

Thats all part of quoting have a good look at drainage before you give them a price evan weak hypo will leave marks on a dirty drive , my advice would be try and get the neibours to have there’s done at the same time ,it’s a win win then they have a clean drive too you earn more money and you don’t have issues with runn off 

At the moment I do not have a flat surface cleaner. I have a GX390 and will be using the turbo nozzle. 

Whats the best way to do a clean with hypo, and are fsc really worth it. I've shears mixed reviews tbh so may rent one and see how I get on first. 

Latest Posts

Back