Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water softening help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rapodo

20180412_135122.jpg

Does anyone have softening resin running on there system similar to this setup who could give some advice? I know the salt regenerates the resin when you flush the salt through but how do you go about using this filter full of salt to flush the resin through? Only surely when connect this type of filter to allow a back flush the salt will then enter the di vessel and then mix the salt with the resin? Where does the salt go? Or will the salt not get mixed with the resin?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know that has nothing to do with salt filtration. It's a sediment filter before then DI resin.

Salt is used in dishwashers to renew the resin, but it won't work for our use.

According to Window cleaning warehouse this same filter can be used for a salt brine solution to flush the di that's full of softener resin. Please see the link. They say they include instructions in that link but I can't see how the salt won't enter the di vessel if you use that method to flush the di vessel with salt to rejuvenate the softer resin. Is anyone using this method?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told every time you fill you tank. My old ionics system used to have a similar set up. Fill the 10” canister with salt and flush it through until the salt has dissolved and the water coming out of the other side no longer tastes salty (yes I used to swill it around in my mouth to check!!). Obviously make sure the water out of the softener goes to waste/drain otherwise it will screw your membrane up!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

My instructions also said to ‘hold’ the water in the system for a short time as it makes the regeneration last longer. I will try and dig my instructions to clarify.

As far as I know that has nothing to do with salt filtration. It's a sediment filter before then DI resin.

Salt is used in dishwashers to renew the resin, but it won't work for our use.

In this country there there is a lot of calcium in the water the water softener helps to remove this it’s not for Di resin as in Toulson it’s a separate vessel used before the water goes into the resin vessel the salt is used to regenerate the media , this salty water or brine is then flushed down the drain before filling your tank hope this makes sense 

Interesting, I stand corrected. We took apart a dishwasher to see how it polish the water, and found resin in a tank in the side or the unit. Then again we don't use salt in our dishwashers here as it's not needed due to zero calcium in the supply.

Interesting, I stand corrected. We took apart a dishwasher to see how it polish the water, and found resin in a tank in the side or the unit. Then again we don't use salt in our dishwashers here as it's not needed due to zero calcium in the supply.
It does use dish washer salt to regenerate the media , some areas of the uk are very high in calcium and will Block  the ro membrane and cause damage to it a water softener is used to make the calcium stick together in clumps so it will get flushed down the drain rather than getting stuck in the membrane the science behind it evaids me at the moment but it’s all to do with - and + ions ime sure spruce or some other boffin will be able to explained it far better than me 

Back