Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Price rise fail

Christoff1

Unfortunately I’ve realised that all my work is underpriced I charge £4.50 a standard small terrace ? also only £5 on a 3 bed council estate currently putting them up to £7 and terrace to £6 bungalows are £3 currently for 4 to five windows one being patio doors putting a £1 on them what are the current prices in the northwest ??.. Any help and advice would be great 15 years I’ve done these rounds and more fool me ripped myself of but no more I do top notch job frames cills the lot put prices up only twice in 15 years by 50p stupid I know.all done traditional 

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I’ve realised that all my work is underpriced I charge £4.50 a standard small terrace [emoji22] also only £5 on a 3 bed council estate currently putting them up to £7 and terrace to £6 bungalows are £3 currently for 4 to five windows one being patio doors putting a £1 on them what are the current prices in the northwest ??.. Any help and advice would be great 15 years I’ve done these rounds and more fool me ripped myself of but no more I do top notch job frames cills the lot put prices up only twice in 15 years by 50p stupid I know.all done traditional 
What’s your hourly rate based on your current prices? Sounds similar to a round I took over years ago. I’ve put em up twice in four years. Once by roughly 50p per job then more recently by up to a hefty 33%. I’m still told I’m too cheap but I’m makin good money so I’m happy although there is still room for improvement.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Look at it this way if your worried about losing customers, say you do 6 jobs at £5 = £30, put them up by £1 and even if you lose one 5 at £6 = £30. Your making the same money with one less job, replace that with same size job at £8 and your up in money turns. Do £1/2 a year until your happy with the price and everyone's on the same price system, reassess then all go up as required. You'll lose some, but if needed go canvassing to replace at a higher price from day 1.

Look at it this way if your worried about losing customers, say you do 6 jobs at £5 = £30, put them up by £1 and even if you lose one 5 at £6 = £30. Your making the same money with one less job, replace that with same size job at £8 and your up in money turns. Do £1/2 a year until your happy with the price and everyone's on the same price system, reassess then all go up as required. You'll lose some, but if needed go canvassing to replace at a higher price from day 1.
Thank you mate I have a lot of work due to cheap price more than likely so I can afford to loose so many with price going up,a friend was telling me I should charge £8 on terrace and £10 on 3 bed semi that now my aim over the next few years some people just want to pay u penny’s for top job being done seem to think that my prices shouldn’t and don’t go up ? well there all in for a shock lol

What are your prices for a terrace house with say 6 windows back door with window and small pane above front door frame 
My lowest price is £6 for a full house(small terraces and semis). Do a few fronts etc at £4. Many will say that’s still too low but a lot of my work is super compact and been established for 30 years+ so I can still achieve an hourly rate that most would be proud of.

My lowest price is £6 for a full house(small terraces and semis). Do a few fronts etc at £4. Many will say that’s still too low but a lot of my work is super compact and been established for 30 years+ so I can still achieve an hourly rate that most would be proud of.

My work is all around my house and very tight with 40 terraces on one street ect I have around 250 to 280 terrace in total so always earns half decent  wage on them,never realised I was ridiculously cheap missed the bus I did 

When price rising would you do it in person or makes flyer explaining price increase ? Post out to all customers 
If they're in than in person, if not then note through door, with your phone number if they have any questions. Just make sure you state from next clean, otherwise some may try it on and say they thought it wasn't for couple months

My thoughts are that the round is that far underpriced you would need to double or triple to bring them up to 2018 prices.

Now if that were me I couldn't clean for those prices it's not worth it, I'd rather get a normal 9-5 job.

So I think you should get canvassing/marketing and double the lot bearing in mind youll  lose a lot you might end up with an almost new round. It'll be worth it in the long run. Putting a quid on a 3 quid bungalow isn't going to do anything.

My thoughts are that the round is that far underpriced you would need to double or triple to bring them up to 2018 prices.

Now if that were me I couldn't clean for those prices it's not worth it, I'd rather get a normal 9-5 job.

So I think you should get canvassing/marketing and double the lot bearing in mind youll  lose a lot you might end up with an almost new round. It'll be worth it in the long run. Putting a quid on a 3 quid bungalow isn't going to do anything.
My problem is I’m to soft mate And I agree I have considered getting a 9-5 job as it’s doesn’t work out at the min il take them up over next 3 years in stages and build up new work on top prices from day one thanks mate 

I've just put my prices up by a pound because it was work i bought and it was stupidly priced i put it up when i bought it 4 years ago by a pound aswell and it's still cheap but these council house up north won't pay anymore tight barstools [emoji16]

Unfortunately I’ve realised that all my work is underpriced I charge £4.50 a standard small terrace ? also only £5 on a 3 bed council estate currently putting them up to £7 and terrace to £6 bungalows are £3 currently for 4 to five windows one being patio doors putting a £1 on them what are the current prices in the northwest ??.. Any help and advice would be great 15 years I’ve done these rounds and more fool me ripped myself of but no more I do top notch job frames cills the lot put prices up only twice in 15 years by 50p stupid I know.all done traditional 
Sounds almost identical to my first big round. Only bought it for 1.5x though.

The terraces were £4 and semis were £4.50 - £5. Doing trad I did £12 - £20 per hour. Once I switched to wfp it was slightly better but still not great. I started rising prices but they were so resistant to price increase I decided it was easier to sell it and use the money to buy a better round. Worked out well actually.

You will probably lose a lot hiking the price up that high in one go. Might be better to explain, and then go 50p every six months

You will probably lose a lot hiking the price up that high in one go. Might be better to explain, and then go 50p every six months
Tested price rise on council estate £5 to £7 3 people told all happy about it so it’s ago for the lot, don’t mind loosing some as I have to many anyway and when I explain that I’ve only risen price by £1 in 15 years this price rise will bring it to £3 in 15 years only 20p a year increase still lower than 2018 prices most will understand I reckon 

Tested price rise on council estate £5 to £7 3 people told all happy about it so it’s ago for the lot, don’t mind loosing some as I have to many anyway and when I explain that I’ve only risen price by £1 in 15 years this price rise will bring it to £3 in 15 years only 20p a year increase still lower than 2018 prices most will understand I reckon 
Go for broke matey. It’s a bit of a rise in percentage terms but its easily justifiable of explained in the right way. Maybe if you was tryin to double or triple em then I would think you would run into problems. Fair enough you might still end up with the same profit but you would be splitting up what sounds like a nicely spaced round. Better to make fair rises every couple of years or so and keep the compactness in tact.

Back