Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best van system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ben jackson

Hi, I've got a mwb Mercedes sprinter and I'm going to get it converted for wfp. I've been looking at which system is best to go for. I'm setting up from scratch but don't mind paying for a decent 2 man heated system to get me started as will work out better in the long run. Any advice welcome. Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I've got a mwb Mercedes sprinter and I'm going to get it converted for wfp. I've been looking at which system is best to go for. I'm setting up from scratch but don't mind paying for a decent 2 man heated system to get me started as will work out better in the long run. Any advice welcome. Thanks 
The best advice is to build it yourself. Firstly its cheaper and secondly if it goes wrong you can fix it. The chap who helped me when I started recommended Ionics but they charge a fortune. Recently I had a pump issue, I just changed the pump. Had I encountered a pump issue on a custom built system it could have meant hours on the phone to tech support or actually hauling the van itself back to the supplier. Customers don't often look in the van so I wouldn't panic about how professional it looks either. Finally if you think of long term, when you move to another van the system can move with you.

I have seen some people on here recommend Daqua for custom built systems if you don't want to consider building your own.

It depends how good at DIY you are I suppose if you want to go down the build it yourself route. I'm not very so I decided to go for a Pure Freedom 650L RO van system. It was a bit of a pain having to get to Grimsby from the North East by 8am, it wasn't cheap but I'm so pleased I did. Depends also where abouts you live. Grippatank also come to you to install their systems. Again tho, not cheap. Do you have a budget?

If I had loads of spare money I’d go grippatank home fit.

But I didn’t, so I got a 500L wydale tank & steel frame for £400 new, then paid a friend of mine £20 to bolt it in through the van. 2 years later I’m really happy with it still. Then just bought Gardiner pump & controller etc

Best system? Now that all depends what you mean exactly people including me can get all gooey eyed about fancy systems and hot water. First off hot water ain't a must at all I have used cold for over 10 years without issue alongside 100's if not 1000's of other window cleaners across the UK and beyond. 

You could have a custom tank and system made maybe not to far from you in Oldham  at http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk I have heard good things over the years about this firm, So certainly worth a look if they are only a short drive away from you. 

Thanks for the information guys. I've not got a set budget as want to make sure I get something that's good quality but makes sense that if something fails on a system that you can replace all the parts as if I'm driving 2 or 3 hours to have a system fitted then don't want to have to drive all the way back if a pump ect fails. I've considered building my own system but I'm not the best at DIY so not sure if it's a bad move lol. I'll check out the place in Oldham as that's a bit closer to home. I thought hot water would be a good selling point that a lot of people don't offer it and better for the winter months? I'm really surprised there's no one in Manchester that makes the systems! So hot or not is the next big decision lol 

Their ain't no selling point with hot water. People want a window cleaner who does a top job charges a fair price for work done and is reliable.

County Durham Lad

Their ain't no selling point with hot water. People want a window cleaner who does a top job charges a fair price for work done and is reliable.
I like the idea of hot water... the selling point is for me on a cold morning when I can't feel my fingertips but customers don't care about that they just want clean windows.

Thanks for the information guys. I've not got a set budget as want to make sure I get something that's good quality but makes sense that if something fails on a system that you can replace all the parts as if I'm driving 2 or 3 hours to have a system fitted then don't want to have to drive all the way back if a pump ect fails. I've considered building my own system but I'm not the best at DIY so not sure if it's a bad move lol. I'll check out the place in Oldham as that's a bit closer to home. I thought hot water would be a good selling point that a lot of people don't offer it and better for the winter months? I'm really surprised there's no one in Manchester that makes the systems! So hot or not is the next big decision lol 
Don't worry about it. The wife tells me i'm like Frank Spencer when it comes to DIY and I managed it.

genuinely wouldn't waste your time with hot water at first. That money would be better spent elsewhere. Customers won't see it but they will see a uniform, a nicely sign written van... etc etc etc.

I don’t have hot water, I’ve used it a few times when working with my old boss. He got the grippatank hot water system, like 8k it something mental!

With just regular 4/6/8 weekly window cleans hot water makes no difference to the clean, honestly no difference. The only thing it will help on regular cleans is between Nov-March your hose will be more flexible......

But with very dirty (gone green) gutters, fascias, con roofs etc then hot water does help, might turn a 4 hour job into a 2&half to 3hour job.

Personally I don’t think it’s worth it for me. Maybe if you’re more of a maintenance company who does a lot of filthy one offs & big commercial work etc then yeh. 

With cold water I’ve still hit £60 per hour before on gutter jobs. I’m content with that.

Cheers lads so I'll pass on the hot water side for now. I'm gonna get a decent size tank so if anyone can recommend a decent 750 litre baffled tank, ideally one that I can bolt down as that's what I'm insured for. Hopefully I won't regret building my own haha ?. Gonna go for gardiner poles and want to make it a two man system so I'll have to figure out exactly what I need ?

Cheers lads so I'll pass on the hot water side for now. I'm gonna get a decent size tank so if anyone can recommend a decent 750 litre baffled tank, ideally one that I can bolt down as that's what I'm insured for. Hopefully I won't regret building my own haha ?. Gonna go for gardiner poles and want to make it a two man system so I'll have to figure out exactly what I need ?
Call Gardiners once you work out what you want it to look like. They will talk you through every section and ensure you get every bit you need. They spent an hour on the phone with me talking through my set up step by step. I got the bulk of my stuff from them including my tank.

With regards to a 750L tank... Your payload is only 1300KG are you sure you want to take 750 of that up with water? Some of the experienced guys run on 300/350L tanks and do fine. Mine is 500L because i'm a little trigger happy when it comes to rinsing sometimes haha.

With regards to bolting it in I bought this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500l-upright-Tank-Retaining-Frame-for-window-cleaning/192055139226?hash=item2cb760db9a:g:AQsAAOxypstRYrBJ

They do other sizes too I believe. It's decent and easy to fit.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Call Gardiners once you work out what you want it to look like. They will talk you through every section and ensure you get every bit you need. They spent an hour on the phone with me talking through my set up step by step. I got the bulk of my stuff from them including my tank.

With regards to a 750L tank... Your payload is only 1300KG are you sure you want to take 750 of that up with water? Some of the experienced guys run on 300/350L tanks and do fine. Mine is 500L because i'm a little trigger happy when it comes to rinsing sometimes haha.

With regards to bolting it in I bought this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500l-upright-Tank-Retaining-Frame-for-window-cleaning/192055139226?hash=item2cb760db9a:g:AQsAAOxypstRYrBJ

They do other sizes too I believe. It's decent and easy to fit.
Personally I think a 800L water tank is just about fine.

•800L = 800KG

•2 average size guys (in all senses of the word...) =200KG

•Empty frame & tank 100KG?

•2 reels, pumps, roof rack & ladder, 4 poles 100KG Max??

•Fuel.

should be about left over

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I think a 800L water tank is just about fine.

•800L = 800KG

•2 average size guys (in all senses of the word...) =200KG

•Empty frame & tank 100KG?

•2 reels, pumps, roof rack & ladder, 4 poles 100KG Max??

•Fuel.

should be about left over
What about when you start to throw in a gutter vac though and some trad tools though? Maybe a step ladder. Its actually 1271 according to good old Google, I just remembered 1300 from renting one a couple of years ago for something else.

On the other hand no one really listens to Payloads. Anything over 500L seems like overkill to me.... But then i've got 10 25L storage containers too though haha.

What about when you start to throw in a gutter vac though and some trad tools though? Maybe a step ladder. Its actually 1271 according to good old Google, I just remembered 1300 from renting one a couple of years ago for something else.

On the other hand no one really listens to Payloads. Anything over 500L seems like overkill to me.... But then i've got 10 25L storage containers too though haha.
Yeh maybe then. @ben jackson maybe look for a 750L tank. And ask for notes instead of coins from your customers to stay under that payload...

@ben jackson you say a 2 man system would be best longterm so want the biggest tank. A 750ltr tank is overkill unless you are 100% that you will employ at some point in the future , If you can get hold of a 750 tank with frame it will weigh around 875-900kg that leaves you 400kg for fuel 2 hose reels and other bits and pieces maybe a ladder oh and 2 people you have just exceeded your payload. 

If you don't mind me asking do have a good solid rounds established as yet?

Back