Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

General advice for new starter

Radders

Hi,

just started some part time pressure cleaning. Have done a block drive and 4 patios so far. I am using a Honda GP200 3200 psi with 11 lpm and I bought a 14" rotary cleaner. I used the rotary on the block paved drive which seemed to work ok, although I plan to use sika self setting sand which it says needs a min 25mm depth so I've had to keep going over it with the hose pipe to flush out more sand. Is there an easier way?

Also with the patios I've been going over with the rotary to get the bulk of the dirt out then spot blasting with a 40 deg nozzle from about 3 " but this takes forever to get the black spots out as shown in the photo.

Finally I've been brushing over the slabs with Wilko Green Gone, hopefully to stop them turning green again before long.

I'm thinking of ordering some Biocidal Wash from Benz to use as a post washing treatment instead of the Green Gone.

I've read bits about Hypo but am a bit nervous about using it for fear of causing damage to the customers drive/patio.

Any advice is really appreciated. Great forum.

image.jpeg

I think your pressure washer is a bit low on flow rate to rinse quickly and running a fsc is going to take longer to do the job . Depending what the black marks are hypo is probebly your best bet if it’s algy or a lichen type of growth this is a sharp learning curve hypo if fine on block drives , concrete drives , decking but use a weaker mix , some people have had issues with it bleaching Tarmac but we never have had a problem and use it all the time as a pre treatment to kill moss and algy I think it’s about how you use it you need to have a good working knowledge of the product you cannot teach someone in a few paragraphs on a forum how to do it safely without hurting yourself or damaging customers property try googling this there is a lot of good advice out there or speak to ones who use it you are very welcome to call me if you like ; or alternatively do you know anyone in your area that you could go out with for a day to learn on the job ? Again you can come out with us for a day if you like but it would be a long trip 

Many thanks for the advice, tried hypo the other day for the first time but only a weak mix, too weak to shift the all the lichen. 

Just ordered a turbo nozzle, will this be better than the 40 deg nozzle up close?

Also when the plan is to resand blocks is it best to blast the old sand out with the turbo? 

Thanks again, any advice

appreciated.

Many thanks for the advice, tried hypo the other day for the first time but only a weak mix, too weak to shift the all the lichen. 

Just ordered a turbo nozzle, will this be better than the 40 deg nozzle up close?

Also when the plan is to resand blocks is it best to blast the old sand out with the turbo? 

Thanks again, any advice

appreciated.

Yes a turbo will be better for the lichen ,we use 15% strength hypo we use 4 parts water to 1 part hypo this will usualy kill it make sure you wet the area down before applying the hypo mix give it a light rub with a broom leave it to dwell for up to 45 muinits some times you need to reaply more mix . 

We do sometimes re sand depends what the customer wants , I wouldn’t deliberately blast the sand out if re sanding leave it untill the drive is dry then sweep in kiln dried sand job done , unless you are going to start offering sealing but most don’t bother as it’s expensive and can cause problems 

Latest Posts

Back