Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Paint on pvc window frames

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Depends on type of paint if its water based fence paint upvc cleaner or Bar-Keepers friend and a sponge should blitz it, but charge accordingly.

I have found bronze wool does the job, but it doesn’t go far. I ordered 3 pads off eBay for about £7 i think, took a few weeks to arrive, and used all 3 pads on a set of patio doors ?
Not a viable option in my eyes.
Cant understand why people dont tape up frames and try to protect things more when painting. How people get away with leaving things in some of the states i’ve seen begs belief, literally been destroyed by messy building/renovation/paint jobs. there’s a few customers windows that are so far gone that they may as well be replaced as you could be there for a month of Sundays and probably wouldn’t get far.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

We don’t do builders cleans best thing to do is get the painters back to remove the paint that they got on the frames end of story 
Loads of variables to consider there though man. If the customer has just moved in they can’t do this. If some cheap painter has done such a bad job they have left paint behind what’s the odds of them actually coming back to sort it? I’m with IG here, just charge accordingly 

Loads of variables to consider there though man. If the customer has just moved in they can’t do this. If some cheap painter has done such a bad job they have left paint behind what’s the odds of them actually coming back to sort it? I’m with IG here, just charge accordingly 

Sorry i dont agree if you do attempt to remove it and it’s not to there satisfaction , or there is staining that you cannot remove or damage to the frames or anything else it’s you they will be winging to not the painter , why put yourself in that position you haven’t caused the problem so why end up with the hassle? Most people wouldn’t be prepared to pay the going rate either if you can earn £30-£50 per hour doing normal maintenance cleans what are you going to charge to do this it’s got to be more £50-£70 per hour ? How many would pay that ? Why would you want to do a difficult job when there is a lot of easy work it doesn’t make financial sense better off walking away , been there done that years ago and certainly won’t be doing it again 

One of the worst jobs I have seen (and this is a regular customer) was a bay window and between upstairs and downstairs there is a large tiled area which he decided to paint he managed to pebbledash both his frames and glass I just clean as normal and I am never particularly happy with it, but he's a painter and decorator by trade and it doesn't worry him.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sorry i dont agree if you do attempt to remove it and it’s not to there satisfaction , or there is staining that you cannot remove or damage to the frames or anything else it’s you they will be winging to not the painter , why put yourself in that position you haven’t caused the problem so why end up with the hassle? Most people wouldn’t be prepared to pay the going rate either if you can earn £30-£50 per hour doing normal maintenance cleans what are you going to charge to do this it’s got to be more £50-£70 per hour ? How many would pay that ? Why would you want to do a difficult job when there is a lot of easy work it doesn’t make financial sense better off walking away , been there done that years ago and certainly won’t be doing it again 
I get what you’re saying and there’s a few chaps with this sort of attitude towards it but if you’ve got space in your diary it’s just a restoration and charge accordingly. Best case is they take your expensive quote and have you back to clean each month. You can always start with cleaning a small section while quoting and see what it comes out like, this way both you and the customer are happy with what you expect the finished article to look like.

I get what you’re saying and there’s a few chaps with this sort of attitude towards it but if you’ve got space in your diary it’s just a restoration and charge accordingly. Best case is they take your expensive quote and have you back to clean each month. You can always start with cleaning a small section while quoting and see what it comes out like, this way both you and the customer are happy with what you expect the finished article to look like.

If someone is starting out and is very short of work then maybe it’s better to be earning something rather than nothing , we are flat out all the time so wouldn’t do it and personally I would rather put that time into canvassing more regular window cleaning work than doing a one off paint removal job as I said been there done that 20 years ago and realised very quickly that’s a mugs game you will get all sorts wanting you to do it as a one off then dump you once you have cleaned all the paint off there is no money in it we won’t evan do that type of work for regular very wealthy clients but it’s a personal thing if ones want to that’s fine Ime just saying it doesn’t make a good buisness model to do that type of work 

Just offering advice I wouldn't touch it personally far to busy I have one job were the owner decided to spray his fence with a spray gun needless to say it went everywhere covered the white composite door and white pvc frames and glass, I got it off the glass with wfp quite easily and advised him what to do regarding getting it off the frames but told him he would be very lucky to remove it safely from the door without damaging it. It's still on months later 

But to anyone reading this don't do what my wife did which was take a magic sponge to our quite new pvc  brown rosewood frames after painting the front of the house and getting splashes on them she flatted the finish in very small areas thankfully I returned home before she got carried away. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back