Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Car to van.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DJT

Hi guys, currently doing a part time round building up steadily using trolley and barrels using my vw passat estate.

Looking at getting a small van for a 350litre setup.

My question is , has anyone had any problems using a van as their daily driver (I have an 18month old)

And has anyone had any problems of their full time employer pulling up in a van to work. (I dont plan on sign writing van, just magnetic stickers to begin with.)

Hope that makes sense, cheers.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

A van full of gear and water sloshing about doesn't make for a very comfortable ride when driving privately. A van works, sure, but we were much better off buying a cheap second car for private use.

Do you work for another window cleaning company full time? Every single one of your colleagues will immediately notice you have wfp setup in the van and ask questions. If you work with something else, why would they care what you drive? 

I use my van as a daily driver (Vivaro). I like driving vans better than cars  :1f602:  I also really don't want to pay 2 lots of insurance, tax, petrol/diesel etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my van as a daily driver (Vivaro). I like driving vans better than cars  :1f602:  I also really don't want to pay 2 lots of insurance, tax, petrol/diesel etc etc.
Agreed, you can only use your no claims bonus on one. Also when I lost my company car I moved from a 1.7CDTI Astra to a 2.0CDTI Vivaro and I use less Diesel in the van than I ever did in the Astra. Perhaps its because I can't drive it as hard, and its limited to 67  :1f644:

I drive my VW Caddy van around all the time. Only vehicle. Being sign written it’s constant advertisement. It’s abit annoying when you’re not working for a few days and you’ve got maybe 100/200/300L of water in the back but oh well. I’d like to get a little runaround soon though 

my van and car ncd are separate, one is a commercial and the other isnt,its difficult to transfer car ncd over to a commercial one

Agreed it isn’t easy. I used a comparison site;

https://www.thevaninsurer.co.uk/cheapest-quote-k001/?refid=GPPC-TVI-e-t-1t1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInbn3_abH2gIVVM-yCh1-mQ80EAAYASAAEgLuCPD_BwE

there were options on there to see which companies would allow you to transfer it over. I went through top cash back and got £30 back too. They smashed the quotes from the other ones which is a shame because I collect the meerkats haha.

A van full of gear and water sloshing about doesn't make for a very comfortable ride when driving privately. A van works, sure, but we were much better off buying a cheap second car for private use.

Do you work for another window cleaning company full time? Every single one of your colleagues will immediately notice you have wfp setup in the van and ask questions. If you work with something else, why would they care what you drive? 
I work for an electroplating company full time, so they wouldn't really know if it was a windy van. They cant really fire you for having a second jon, can they!?

Van shouldn't be left loaded with 100's of liters of water for consecutive days when not working as it will increase wear and tear on suspension and cv joints etc. As for working two jobs it ain't a crime as long as your registered with hmrc and paying your taxes. Also make sure you get Public Liability Insurance asap if you haven't already couple of idiots on here recently admitted they haven't for the sake of £75-100 .

And you don't have to divulge your personal circumstances to your employer or fellow workers as to why you may need to work 2 jobs to pay your bills or want a more comfortable standard of living. 

Back