Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First van

Alright so I literally passed my test a month ago currently drive Dacia Sandero stepway which is a medium size family car I would say, looking at getting a van so I can build my own wfp system but my gut is telling me not to get a small van purely because at the rate my business is going I’ll be getting a bigger one in 6 months anyway and secondly the only small vans I like the look of are the vw caddy maxi which are probably one of the more expensive smaller vans? And the newer model of the transit connect which is also expensive, so I’m looking at getting a larger van maybe a vivaro ? What’s your opinions on driving a larger van as a new driver id say I’m a pretty confident driver for my experience and willing to drive anything just want a van big enough for my business what doesn’t look to bad either.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also any make and model recommendations?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Nothing wrong with getting a smaller van and testing out how it goes. You can manage a full run on a berlingo/connect. Just make sure you equipt it with a tank that suits the payload.

I wouldn't worry about the look of the van. Focus on how it runs and worry about the looks when you are at the level when forking out for a van is just for tax deductions.

Can’t decide weather to buy a cheaper 500-1000 small van to get me going or a couple grand on a vivaro or transit, based on your guys previous experience I’ve never had a van before which is more I want to say reliable? Transit , vivaro or something else? Thanks for the replies guys

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

2k won't get you much mate - buying second hand at that price is pretty much pot luck. I bought a mercedes vito for 3.5k - supposedly a reliable van....cost me about 3k over 18 months in repairs and had about a month off the road in total.

You have to do the usual checks....service history....rust...etc etc and then pray you haven't bought a lemon!

2k won't get you much mate - buying second hand at that price is pretty much pot luck. I bought a mercedes vito for 3.5k - supposedly a reliable van....cost me about 3k over 18 months in repairs and had about a month off the road in total.
You have to do the usual checks....service history....rust...etc etc and then pray you haven't bought a lemon!
There’s a van dealership selling some ex British Gas vw cadi maxis near me for 5k my car is worth 7 was thinking of selling the car and getting that maybe? Then would have left over for the wfp gear too thanks for your help [emoji846]

After passing my test many years ago my first vehicle was a hi top renault master van. Bit daunting the first day but then after that it was fine.

There’s a van dealership selling some ex British Gas vw cadi maxis near me for 5k my car is worth 7 was thinking of selling the car and getting that maybe? Then would have left over for the wfp gear too thanks for your help
emoji846.png

As you can see from my pic I bought a ex British Gas caddy maxi, December 15. Got it for £3000+ vat + £150 auction fees.

I am really happy with it. Been very reliable overall. Vw parts are maybe a bit more than the average van but in life I like to think most things balance out....  (Blue is my favourite colour as well haha).

A pretty good work van, the 810KG pay load is a bit restrictive though, I have a 500L system in there, but with me (95KG)

Roof Rack, ladder, all the gear I’m probably just under.

Hi again,

The thing that swung me towards getting one was, I was talking to a British Gas man, after I heard 10 were coming up for sale at the auction in Poole. I asked how well are they looked after? he goes “servicing wise they’re red hot on it” also they’re are restricted to 77mph to on motor ways they not been too mistreated etc. Also British Gas workers don’t ever seem to bomb it round unlike taxi drivers or delivery vans etc.

But you don’t get any service history, it’s all done ‘in house’ As soon as I got mine I got a full service, then 9 months later I thought rather be safe then sorry so got the belts & water pump changed (that was £500+ sadly) but been fine. Was on 105,000 when I got it, I use it every day work & social now on 130,000 something had no problems at all just the usual (£200 mot) one thing I have heard though is make sure you put the best oil in, and the days of ‘ yeh I stick in for a service every 12/18 months or so’ are long gone (if you’re using it every day)

I get a oil change every 6,000 then 6,000 later I get a full service. So over 12,000 it gets two oil changes. Modern engines are so highly tuned and stressed. Vw caddy takes fully synthetic oil, not the cheapest....

Hi again,
The thing that swung me towards getting one was, I was talking to a British Gas man, after I heard 10 were coming up for sale at the auction in Poole. I asked how well are they looked after? he goes “servicing wise they’re red hot on it” also they’re are restricted to 77mph to on motor ways they not been too mistreated etc. Also British Gas workers don’t ever seem to bomb it round unlike taxi drivers or delivery vans etc.

But you don’t get any service history, it’s all done ‘in house’ As soon as I got mine I got a full service, then 9 months later I thought rather be safe then sorry so got the belts & water pump changed (that was £500+ sadly) but been fine. Was on 105,000 when I got it, I use it every day work & social now on 130,000 something had no problems at all just the usual (£200 mot) one thing I have heard though is make sure you put the best oil in, and the days of ‘ yeh I stick in for a service every 12/18 months or so’ are long gone (if you’re using it every day)

I get a oil change every 6,000 then 6,000 later I get a full service. So over 12,000 it gets two oil changes. Modern engines are so highly tuned and stressed. Vw caddy takes fully synthetic oil, not the cheapest....
Hi thanks for the help, really useful information a place near me called the van yard has literally 50+ of them with about 50-60k miles they are either full blue or blue with black trim really tempted what’s it like for space with the tank in there also?

Where yours is black on the front and back bumpers it’s completely blue

Hi thanks for the help, really useful information a place near me called the van yard has literally 50+ of them with about 50-60k miles they are either full blue or blue with black trim really tempted what’s it like for space with the tank in there also?

Where yours is black on the front and back bumpers it’s completely blue

Sounds nice. I’ll take photos in the minute and show you.

So I carry a 500L tank, steel frame, hose reel, two pumps, 2 controllers, 3 poles. Backpack, fold up small ladders. Big ladder on top. Got enough room for my gutter vac down the side when I need it.

I am just under the weight limit. Enough space for 2nd hose reel, but with 2 person you want to watch the weight. 

E3606762-8296-492A-B7A1-918EB60E8D2E.jpeg

Back