Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What would you charge for this....

P4dstar

Premium Member
Alright chaps. Been to quote a property for an end of tenancy clean. The landlord is footing the bill a the tenant never bothered to keep the place up together. I know I am competing against another windy who is more established than me. I have already given a price but i'm interested to see where other people would be with this, not often I get this opportunity. In my eyes I undercut myself by £20 to get the job;

This is a two bed house with 3 windows at the front and one at the rear. Front door and patio doors. All of the interior has been repainted and where the windows are covered in mould and mildew I have factored in the interior will be a slow job. There will be a builder on site who will be able to foot the ladder for me to clean the upstairs as this would take an age with WFP alone and the customer has no external water source.

I have included UPVC polishing for all interior frames and the customer has already replaced the silicone sealant around the edges of the frame but the ones at the edge of the glass pictured below are not silicone and need to be cleaned.

PJsSaaHIQaugTekLxuhRrw.jpg

+rYbAtsFSfusHcbG0fpYxg.jpg

7%n34phvT0SdcV0W74649A.jpg

Wow they are minging windows!

That is a complete restoration I would quote at least £200 that's a days work if your also doing the inner frame and the brackets etc..

@P4dstar If you undercut yourself by £20 you quoted £300 right?  

That's a full day..... potentially more if it's your first time doing such a minger. 
Nope... feeling I messed up on this one, I quoted £80... it is only the rear window that has that problem externally. I thought, mornings worth of work, £100, undercut him by £20... oh dear haha. Well if she goes for it then I’ll let you know how long it takes etc. If not then the other guy will have undercut me and good luck to him.

Nope... feeling I messed up on this one, I quoted £80... it is only the rear window that has that problem externally. I thought, mornings worth of work, £100, undercut him by £20... oh dear haha. Well if she goes for it then I’ll let you know how long it takes etc. If not then the other guy will have undercut me and good luck to him.
Ahh don't worry mate, I have done this so many times... You look at it and think, ahh it won't take too long its a small house etc. etc.

Be interested to see how good you manage to get the silicone looking and how long it takes. I have a feeling halfway through you'll be wanting to kill yourself. I've been there many a time. Did it last week to be fair. 2 big houses in/out builders clean. Thought me and my colleague would get them done in a day, ended up struggling to get one done in a day. luckily after the first day I explained to the builders that it was taking longer than expected and I'd undercut myself and they said it was okay to charge whatever I needed to charge.

Ahh don't worry mate, I have done this so many times... You look at it and think, ahh it won't take too long its a small house etc. etc.

Be interested to see how good you manage to get the silicone looking and how long it takes. I have a feeling halfway through you'll be wanting to kill yourself. I've been there many a time. Did it last week to be fair. 2 big houses in/out builders clean. Thought me and my colleague would get them done in a day, ended up struggling to get one done in a day. luckily after the first day I explained to the builders that it was taking longer than expected and I'd undercut myself and they said it was okay to charge whatever I needed to charge.
Well I made a point of letting her know that if they have stains underneath the moss then they will not be included in the job, in the kitchen she has a nice purple stain on the PVC (either washing powder or candle wax, I can’t tell) and I explained that it’s 50/50 if that will come off... learned my lesson last time not setting expectations from the start like. The other guy is much more experienced than me so I can’t imagine he’s gonna be anywhere near my price but we shall see!!

Well I made a point of letting her know that if they have stains underneath the moss then they will not be included in the job, in the kitchen she has a nice purple stain on the PVC (either washing powder or candle wax, I can’t tell) and I explained that it’s 50/50 if that will come off... learned my lesson last time not setting expectations from the start like. The other guy is much more experienced than me so I can’t imagine he’s gonna be anywhere near my price but we shall see!!
Sometimes if I'm really not sure then I will price for time rather than the actual job so then you at least have a little bit of budge either way.

I'll also justify my quote against someone elses. Tell them it will be £100 based on the job taking you 4hours but if it takes longer you may have to add on extra accordingly. At least that way she knows you're going to be thorough as 4 hours is a long time. I've been called to quote jobs and quoted £100 and they've said their current window cleaner charges £40. I've asked why I'm here and she says cause my current window cleaners are terrible... I say, how long does it usually take them? She said 30 minutes. I say theres no way to clean this house in 30mins. Its at least a 2 hour job maybe 3. needless to say I get the job for £100 because they know its going to be done properly.

You missed 'experience' off that list...
For sure. I’ve even gained experience from doing jobs like that. Most of it tells me to get your books full of regular maintenance cleans and leave them for someone else. Apart from gutter clearing I have started to price myself out of one offs and any other add on services as I find maintenance cleans far easier and a lot more financially rewarding.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

So this woman was in a mad rush to have this done... New tenant moves in Monday I think she said and she wanted it done asap. I assume as she hasn't got back to me that the other guy has undercut me. Good luck to him I say haha  :1f602:

So this woman was in a mad rush to have this done... New tenant moves in Monday I think she said and she wanted it done asap. I assume as she hasn't got back to me that the other guy has undercut me. Good luck to him I say haha  :1f602:
The amount these people earn from renting out a property and they quibble over a few quid. If I was her I'd make it a part of the rental agreement that when they move out they have to get the windows professionally cleaned. I like it when they don't bother though and the landlord or lady gets you in to do them and says 'just let me know how much it is going to be as it's coming out of their deposit!'

I have one client with a few rental properties in one small street and a regular window clean is added to their rent and I clean them every 4 weeks, This way he knows they are getting done properly and his investment in new windows is being looked after. 

I used to do a couple of HMO's and the landlord paid regular as clockwork, then he sold it to retire (to Blackpool????). Anyway, I got the sack and the properties now resemble a slum and the neighbours are complaining about how bad the properties and ne'er do well tenants are.
Classic greedy landlord.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back