Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP out of small van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody on here wfp's out of a small likes of Caddy, Transit Connect, Berlingo, Kangoo or the likes? I'm considering buying one and looking to get maybe 325/350L tank and was wondering what I would be like for space for tank, poles (length slx27) and trad gear etc. I know the Caddy Maxi with long wheel base and Transit Connect are that bit longer than the Caddy PV.

I have never drove a van before so didn't want to go big likes of Vivaro, Vito, Transporter, Traffic etc but also don't want to make the mistake of getting a van that is too small. Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't much difference size wise between a swb and lwb van.

Take the Ford Transit Connect. The difference is 250mm.

When son in law had his Transit Connect T220 lwb with a steel mesh bulk head, he had the angle his SLX22 to get it into the back. Most users will cut a hole in the bulkhead so the pole handle protrudes into the cabin area.

Son has an 02 plate Berlingo 800LX with a 500 liter tank. He has enough room for a hose reel, fold up A frame steps and any trad gear he carries. The handle of his SLX25 protrudes through the bulkhead into the drivers cabin above the 2 seats (passenger and drivers).

If you are concerned about driving a van, please don't be. You get the hang of reversing using the mirrors and rear parking sensors or a reversing camera is a great investment. When coming to a off set T junction, postion the van at 90 degrees to the road so you can see on coming traffic from both sides. Longer vans do seem to cause a problem for some drivers as they turn into a left hand corner too soon. The most damaged door on a long wheel base van is the near side sliding door. Towing caravans from a young age has taught me to drive past the corner before executing the turn.

Cheers for the info and advice mate appreciate it. I measured my slx27 there. At the moment I have angle adapter and flocked brush on it. If i tilt the angle with brush, the whole thing measure about 169cm .... as far as google can tell me it just about sneaks in but I literally would have to try it in person to be sure. The Caddy Maxi and Transit Connect SWB i think should fit pole comfortably but not many knocking around here with low mileage. That 250mm you said should be the difference. I would hate to have to cut a hole in bulk head.

It's hard, I just don't want to make a mistake with van I buy. Would have to buy newish van as mileage on most is insane. Buying any vehicles here in Ireland is a rip off too but i'm trading off my car on it. I'm sure I would need a bit of practice alright as I have been driving hatchbacks and coupes for last 20 years of so.

What is your opinion on the Facelift compact van setups? Don't here many people talking about them on here which is not a good sign.

Hi Daniel, I have a caddy van, with a 500 litre flat tank in. I have had it built in, so above it is wooded, to store things on. My longest pole is slx25 it just fits in diagonally. I haven't cut a hole in the bulk head, I just lay it across. I have a A frame ladder in the same position.

This has worked fine so far, but later this year I'm changing to an upright tank for more space.  

I would be looking at 350L tank maybe, 2 poles, PF trolley, small ladder and trad gear i think. Was looking at the Facelift compact systems, they look the part but wold need to chat to someone who uses them regularly.

I have a caddy with a 350 in, great little van, plenty of space. Can just cut a hole in the bulkhead for a tube to store your poles in if they are too long! But if I was buying again I’d go for something with a bigger payload so you could comfortably carry a 500l.

I have the connect T230 900kg payload. I carry two slx18 and a slx22 all the time and the slx25 when need I have half bulkhead which is only the bottom half and drainpipes for pole holders,  I get all the gear I need for two of us including PF nano trolley and 25 litre containers as well as the facelift compact 325 its a tight squeeze and we are nearly always for full to payload at the beginning of day. I have a tool box under the bucket with all spares and tools etc, all my work is local so 9 times out of ten we go home for lunch and top up if needed. 

The facelift is bolted down with spreader plates and as been flawless for the last couple of years, the one thing I wished I done from the beginning was get the hd power up but I upgraded shortly after I purchased it., I highly recommend it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fantastic stuff mate, thanks for the pics very comprehensive setup, exactly what i am looking to achieve. Glad you recommend the Facelift compact 325 with Power up... was looking at that package it does look the business. Did you drive down to WCW and pick it up? Is it as simple as they pop it in your van and away you go or is it a case where you have to install it yourself and fiddle about? The reason I ask is because being based in Ireland I would have to drive over to collect if they don't deliver & obviously if there is any self install or issues it is a bit of a trek for me to get back over to Wales.

Fantastic stuff mate, thanks for the pics very comprehensive setup, exactly what i am looking to achieve. Glad you recommend the Facelift compact 325 with Power up... was looking at that package it does look the business. Did you drive down to WCW and pick it up? Is it as simple as they pop it in your van and away you go or is it a case where you have to install it yourself and fiddle about? The reason I ask is because being based in Ireland I would have to drive over to collect if they don't deliver & obviously if there is any self install or issues it is a bit of a trek for me to get back over to Wales.
Had it delivered the fitting kit you get are screws which are useless, my friend made some spreader plates and installed bolted in for me it was straight forward for him, think he did have to chop one of the spreader plates about to get the correct shape. 

I have a peugeot partner, it works very well for me, very nimble to drive around though you have to take it a bit slow in sharp turns and driving over stuff as the water sloshes about.

I have a 350l tank, reel, DI tank, battery, a big square mason bucket full of trad gear, a trolley, some barrels etc and it carries it without problems.

The poles I use are a xtreme 47 and a slx 22. The 22 of course fits fine behind the passenger seat, but the 47 I rest on the "shoulder" of the passenger seat so it protrudes a bit into the cabin. No big issue as I normally drive alone, and you can enter the seat fine if you duck a bit. There are only a mesh bulkhead behind the drivers seat, everything else is open, so I will install plumbers pipe to hang the poles from the roof. Then I measured the 47 has to be slightly angled to fit, but no big deal.

Since I only have one sliding door, there is some extra space above the head of the drivers seat, and it fits a trad pole nicely.

I'll take a few pictures if you're interested.

Yeah that would be something that I wouldn't be confident enough to do, would be afraid of destroying the van or not doing it safely. System sounds ideal though. Not sure who exactly I could approach about bolting down the tank.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

my diy skill are terrible that’s why I got my mate to do it for me, but to be honest it was a case of drilling 8 small holes and doing a 8 bolts up took him at a guess 20 to 30 minutes as the holes were already there in the floor of the van as it was screwed down before I had it bolted in he just drilled the holes out slightly bigger. 

Most garages would do it for you for a small charge.

I have a peugeot partner, it works very well for me, very nimble to drive around though you have to take it a bit slow in sharp turns and driving over stuff as the water sloshes about.

I have a 350l tank, reel, DI tank, battery, a big square mason bucket full of trad gear, a trolley, some barrels etc and it carries it without problems.

The poles I use are a xtreme 47 and a slx 22. The 22 of course fits fine behind the passenger seat, but the 47 I rest on the "shoulder" of the passenger seat so it protrudes a bit into the cabin. No big issue as I normally drive alone, and you can enter the seat fine if you duck a bit. There are only a mesh bulkhead behind the drivers seat, everything else is open, so I will install plumbers pipe to hang the poles from the roof. Then I measured the 47 has to be slightly angled to fit, but no big deal.

Since I only have one sliding door, there is some extra space above the head of the drivers seat, and it fits a trad pole nicely.

I'll take a few pictures if you're interested.
yeah would love to see a few pics thanks mate.

Same as Jango I have a Caddy with an upright 350l tank, a SLX30 and CLX22. Both poles fit diagonally.

With the Caddy you have the benefit of possibly the most commanding horn ever known to man. Jango will know what I'm talking about. [emoji3]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back