Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lichen covered conservatory roof

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mark2788

I need to clean a conservatory roof next week that's covered in lichen, moss etc, I've read about using screw fix no nonsense degrease, but can I use that on self cleaning roof? It's so bad anyway that can't see how it could make it worse? And can you scrape it? Thanks in advance

I would be careful what you use on self cleaning glass I wouldn’t use a scraper or abrasive pads , we use virosol on them with no problems at a 10-1 dilution rate and scrubb with wfp but if you have lichen on it that bad it will probably already have damaged the surface I would try a small area first and charge very well explaining the potential issues or walk away if in any doubt you don’t want to end up with an expensive bill coming your way 

I need to clean a conservatory roof next week that's covered in lichen, moss etc, I've read about using screw fix no nonsense degrease, but can I use that on self cleaning roof? It's so bad anyway that can't see how it could make it worse? And can you scrape it? Thanks in advance

I would use the degreaser with hot water and let it soak for 10 minutes. Then use a conny brush and hose off with tap water. Then complete the cycle again.

if its covered in lichen,then the worst thing you could do is use a degreaser on it,(its not covered in grease but lichen,use the correct product for what you are trying to clean or remove and its so much easier mark),personally I would  spray with a biocide that will over the following week soften the lichen and kill it thus releasing its grip on the surface of the glass,return to the job after two weeks and see how you go just using tap water the lichen would be a lot easier to remove as it should be dead.

when the lichen is removed there may be a few marks left-theres not a lot you can do about that as lichen excretes acid as a bi product-think wee and poo and that's what it is explain that to the owner,and no its not the best thing to scrape a self cleaning glass roof

hope this helps

Hi. You don't state whether it's glass or polycaronate. If it's poly then I find that the best method is to use the gardiner scraper without the white pad. If you try a metal scaper it will cut into the poly roof but the soft plastic one works very well..

If its glass it should come off easier, but like others have said check that it's not self cleaning glass as you could damage it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reread your message. Sorry. It's self cleaning glass. Some company's are very strict that you should not clean them. I have used a soft flocked brush on some with good results. But if lichen and moss really is bad on the self cleaning glass it just shows how useless that technology is.

You could just say that if it's that bad then sign a waver form and just give it a good clean. It's obvously not working.

Its self cleaning glass peoples, Use Ecover washing up liquid as it's a plant based cleaner no chemicals at all it suds up nicely when I'm doing the dishes ?, Just don't let any detergent dry out on the glass but self-cleaning glass dries rapidly more so in warm weather 

if its covered in lichen,then the worst thing you could do is use a degreaser on it,(its not covered in grease but lichen,use the correct product for what you are trying to clean or remove and its so much easier mark),personally I would  spray with a biocide that will over the following week soften the lichen and kill it thus releasing its grip on the surface of the glass,return to the job after two weeks and see how you go just using tap water the lichen would be a lot easier to remove as it should be dead.

when the lichen is removed there may be a few marks left-theres not a lot you can do about that as lichen excretes acid as a bi product-think wee and poo and that's what it is explain that to the owner,and no its not the best thing to scrape a self cleaning glass roof

hope this helps

This is nails on the head.  

Sometime back I got a slating from a few people for a video I did where I state that I charge £10 per panel to clean a conservatory roof.  

What @kevinc250 is saying above will require at least two visits.  FIrst to apply a biocide (and don't forget the cost, Bnz is something like £10 per litre to start with) and a second visit to do the cleaning.  In some cases it could require maybee a second treatment of biocide as which again is even more costs.  

All the time people turn up thinking i'll give it a quick scrub with some degreaser (then the old favorite of some tipsters 'just chuck some hypo on it') and i'll be done in an hour £50 happy days.  

Look at Thomas Sanderson, we can all sit back and slate his prices (around £75 per panel) for a full external and internal clean, but you can't slate his results.  

I reckon too many feel as if they have to do a conny roof if asked and then they feel they have to price 'cheap' to make sure they get it all in order to still be accepted by the customer.  This is a big and often costly mistake.  

In the case enquired about the cost of the BIo alone is £10 then say an hour (minimum) to apply £45 so already £55 (the cost for which many will do a whole roof. 

Then a return visit a week (or longer as bio does get more effective the longer it's left) and time to apply the elbow grease.  Depending on the size of the conny at least half a day.  4 hours @ say £45 per hour - so £180 plus the first visit of £55 so £235 already.  

Also remember to manage expectations and explain as Kev says about acidic marks that may not shift. 

Sometime back I got a slating from a few people for a video I did where I state that I charge £10 per panel to clean a conservatory roof.  

What @kevinc250 is saying above will require at least two visits.  FIrst to apply a biocide (and don't forget the cost, Bnz is something like £10 per litre to start with) and a second visit to do the cleaning.  In some cases it could require maybee a second treatment of biocide as which again is even more costs.  

All the time people turn up thinking i'll give it a quick scrub with some degreaser (then the old favorite of some tipsters 'just chuck some hypo on it') and i'll be done in an hour £50 happy days.  

Look at Thomas Sanderson, we can all sit back and slate his prices (around £75 per panel) for a full external and internal clean, but you can't slate his results.  

I reckon too many feel as if they have to do a conny roof if asked and then they feel they have to price 'cheap' to make sure they get it all in order to still be accepted by the customer.  This is a big and often costly mistake.  

In the case enquired about the cost of the BIo alone is £10 then say an hour (minimum) to apply £45 so already £55 (the cost for which many will do a whole roof. 

Then a return visit a week (or longer as bio does get more effective the longer it's left) and time to apply the elbow grease.  Depending on the size of the conny at least half a day.  4 hours @ say £45 per hour - so £180 plus the first visit of £55 so £235 already.  

Also remember to manage expectations and explain as Kev says about acidic marks that may not shift. 
we're gonna have to stop agreeing on things green pro,makes me feel a bit uneasy?

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading all the posts then I will give you my deduction. The best thing to do is explain all this to the customer and tell them you will do a test area. After you do the test area and marks are left then you can explain the whole glass roof will take this effect. If its that bad then its probably better to refuse to clean the roof and tell them to get Sandersons in. :1f609:

i had to clean a conny roof my friend cleaned the house roof and bio it he sprayed some on the conny roof for me on the litchin i cleaned it 3 weeks later and it prity much came off with ease so bio is what i now use on these jobs

Latest Posts

Back