Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GARDINERS BACKPACK WITH EXTENDED HOSEREEL

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ppads52

hi all,has anyone connected a long hosereel  to a gardiners backpack to extend the reach,  if so what kind of hose would i need and whats the longest possible i could use?the battery and pump probs arent powerful enough to cope with a 100 metre

hi all,has anyone connected a long hosereel  to a gardiners backpack to extend the reach,  if so what kind of hose would i need and whats the longest possible i could use?the battery and pump probs arent powerful enough to cope with a 100 metre
I have attached a 30 metre reel to my trolly that my backpack is attached to. I don’t know if 100 metres would be a problem or not, but I do run a 47ft pole off a backpack (never had it fully extended, mind). I’ll put some pictures below. Hope this helps. 

DF7E6E43-A56D-4BA2-BA20-D5DBCA663BAC.jpeg

6A018726-D308-422D-AED8-E4825598AD2D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate on the setup. Id like to replicate somthing similar

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It's fairly simple. Took a gardener backpack, ratchet strapped it to trolly and then attached the reel using jubilee clips ( I originally only had two and tape but I've replaced the tape with two more) and a bungee cord (it stops it from moving when reeling in). Ill put pictures and the links I can find below. ?

EDIT: You only need to use one of the metal legs that came with it, by the way. I just can't remember which one, lol!

The reel: https://www.diy.com/departments/verve-hose-reel/1578091_BQ.prd

The trolly: https://www.diy.com/departments/foldable-hand-cart-max-weight-80kg/1362659_BQ.prd

The backpack: http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/the-gardiner-backpack/new-gardiner-pure-water-backpack-v3-22-litre.html

One thing: For it to work properly you need to make sure the handle is in the fully upright position before reeling in or out. Also, I removed one of the green clips to let it spin easier. The other one I left on as it wasn't causing any problems and I use it.

Hope this all helps!

IMG_9428.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

Master Jedi Alejandro

Great post!!!!!  This is what will save my life, lol.  I am at my end point with my hose 20m of it getting all kinked up after each clean. 

I just want to take y back pack out the car and drop it on the floor and then walk away and clean and just reel it in after, it will be a time saver for me. The 20m hose gets me round the houses fine.

Can I confirm the kits list in list form to make this set up.

Back pack

two female end stops

four jubilee clips - what size and where do I get these from please?

the hose (what hose it and any links to buy it?

The trolly

The hose reel - do you get any leaks from the fittings (the orange part in to the green fitting does that just click in to the hose reel part?  Seeing they are just standard hose reel fitting somtimes there pretty poor, or is it ok and no leaks?

Protector ball.

Am I missing anything, sorry for the questions, just think this is an ace set up and want to replicate it. I am not the best at putting things together so appriciate the help!

What a great set up and help you have been to many of us, thank you very much.

Master Jedi Alejandro

Great post!!!!!  This is what will save my life, lol.  I am at my end point with my hose 20m of it getting all kinked up after each clean. 

I just want to take y back pack out the car and drop it on the floor and then walk away and clean and just reel it in after, it will be a time saver for me. The 20m hose gets me round the houses fine.

Back pack

two female end stops

The trolly

The hose reel - do you get any leaks from the fittings (the orange part in to the green fitting does that just click in to the hose reel part?  Seeing they are just standard hose reel fitting somtimes there pretty poor, or is it ok and no leaks?

Protector ball.

Am I missing anything, sorry for the questions, just think this is an ace set up and want to replicate it. I am not the best at putting things together so appriciate the help!

Hey mate. Working at the moment but will get the details up later for ya. 

I did the same with an aluminium collapsible trolley and claber aquapony reel

I use gardiners stainless hozelock to barb fittings instead of the claber red ones

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/quick-release-straight-through-coupling-with-6mm-hose-barb.html

And a brass elbow for the reel

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/hozelock-type-brass-hose-reel-fitting-swivel-elbow.html

Gonna make another when i get back from holiday thursday so will take some pics then

Master Jedi Alejandro

Back pack

two female end stops

The trolly

Protector ball.

Alright mate.

Sorry for terribly late reply, had one of those weeks!

Backpack - Gardiner

Two Female End Stops - One is included with backpack (be sure to specify it if buying new) the other you will have to buy, yes.

Jubilee clips - Can't remember exact size. I think I got mine from B&Q. I just eyeballed it when buying mine. Best bet is buy a few packs and see what fits, rest return.

The Hose - Unfortunately it was a mate of mine who had spare gave it too me. It's just standard garden 6mm Microbore, though. The 30m should work, though go longer if you wish (though will add weight). https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hoses/reel-and-system-hoses/microbore-trade-reinforced-hose-6mm-id-11-5mm-od.html

Trolly - From B&Q, link was in previous post on this thread.

The hose Reel - Also from B&Q, link was in previous again. 

Your gonna need two of these to make the reel work - https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/adapter-ez-snap-trade-end-stop-hose-with-a-standard-pole-hose.html

No leaks with mine, never had a issue. You need one outside and inside.

Protector ball - from Gardiner.

Your also going to need a ratchet strap (got mine cheap off eBay) and Bungee cords got mine in a big pack from Screwfix. 
Don't need to worry about expensive ratchet strap as its not being used to hold anything dangerous in place (link a van mounted tank) so cheap ebay one should be fine. 

Hope this all helps. Give me a shout if you need anymore help!

So sorry again for getting back to you so late! 

Master Jedi Alejandro

Thank you very much for your time. Really very kind of you.

Is it ok to message you direct with just a few confirmations, I am going to use your hit list and build one this week, have the back pack and stuff,so now its just buying the other bits in list. I use currently a 5mm ID hose blak one facelift and put on to female end stop, does the yellow fit tight still on the end stop as its 1mm bigger? Also does that hose fit ok on the univalve? I heard the re forced ones dont work as well, i suppose it does not matter what hose I use

Just worried with all the connections there are leaks, I seem to get a few now and then, but maybe getting the like for like parts I shoudl be ok.

Am going to get the kit list and start on it, I am not the best at this kind of stuff, ill post up some images when completed

The trolly? is it ok to fit in the back of a ford focus, old shape, this is what I use for cleaning at the moment, i am after a van soon but will use a tank in it with release valve to fill back ack and use the trolly as will literly only dump it out back of car/van and the hose will reach round the house, so really easy.

I am just fed up of coiling the hose real in hand 20m of it, its getting me down, the cleaning process is quick and easy bar this part and its snagging up, spedning minute un tangling lol. The reel and  trolly will take this away and make it easy, this for me will be enough for me, just an easy process..  I will still get a van soon but this process will be fine filling back pack from a tank will be fine. Hardly any difference than a full van mount, not enough to start putting that set up in, i buy my water as live right next to a filling station where I get a great price, so its perfect.

d

Thanks again  for your help, if its ok I will message a few minor questions to make sure I am buying the right parts, as said I am not the best at this DIY, just learning about it, fantastic advice and support from yourself and everyone else on here. Beers are on stand by!!! lol

All the best.

Does anyone recommend a smaller hose reel one thats strong with good fittings, been looking in wilko etc and seem bit cheap plastic, just wondered if there is a good strong small hose reel worry the parts in the cheaper ones wont be so water tight. Any recommendatins welcome, has to be small as poss but for 20m and fit in a car. Thanks ?

Master Jedi Alejandro

Thank you very much for your time. Really very kind of you.

Is it ok to message you direct with just a few confirmations, I am going to use your hit list and build one this week, have the back pack and stuff,so now its just buying the other bits in list. I use currently a 5mm ID hose blak one facelift and put on to female end stop, does the yellow fit tight still on the end stop as its 1mm bigger? Also does that hose fit ok on the univalve? I heard the re forced ones dont work as well, i suppose it does not matter what hose I use

Just worried with all the connections there are leaks, I seem to get a few now and then, but maybe getting the like for like parts I shoudl be ok.

Am going to get the kit list and start on it, I am not the best at this kind of stuff, ill post up some images when completed

The trolly? is it ok to fit in the back of a ford focus, old shape, this is what I use for cleaning at the moment, i am after a van soon but will use a tank in it with release valve to fill back ack and use the trolly as will literly only dump it out back of car/van and the hose will reach round the house, so really easy.

I am just fed up of coiling the hose real in hand 20m of it, its getting me down, the cleaning process is quick and easy bar this part and its snagging up, spedning minute un tangling lol. The reel and  trolly will take this away and make it easy, this for me will be enough for me, just an easy process..  I will still get a van soon but this process will be fine filling back pack from a tank will be fine. Hardly any difference than a full van mount, not enough to start putting that set up in, i buy my water as live right next to a filling station where I get a great price, so its perfect.

d

Thanks again  for your help, if its ok I will message a few minor questions to make sure I am buying the right parts, as said I am not the best at this DIY, just learning about it, fantastic advice and support from yourself and everyone else on here. Beers are on stand by!!! lol

All the best.
Alright mate, DM you.

Does anyone recommend a smaller hose reel one thats strong with good fittings, been looking in wilko etc and seem bit cheap plastic, just wondered if there is a good strong small hose reel worry the parts in the cheaper ones wont be so water tight. Any recommendatins welcome, has to be small as poss but for 20m and fit in a car. Thanks ?
I recently did a thread on this. Search for ‘reel for trolley’.

Its a reel made by ‘flopro’, all metal, no plastic. Perfect for attaching to a trolley.

I used industrial strength cable ties to attach it.

Ive tried several plastic reels and will never go back to them.

I have 60m of microbore on mine and it’s rock solid 

Back