Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on how to access this type of window

Been asked to quote some flats, for a property management company, that have these awkward railings around the middle floor windows.

Any ideas how to reach through them with wfp or shall I just get up there and trad it? View attachment 13632

Gotta love new builds!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I've got a couple of customers with these (Although normally the bars are further apart) They open inwards for easy cleaning so best to do them from the inside if you can. I do mine from outside but i've made the customers aware they may not dry spotless... I can fit the brush through the gap though, doesn't look like you will be able to.

I have a few like that. I’ve always got them off the ladder traditionally but if you don’t use ladders you can either buy a swivel for your pole so you can turn your brush vertical or I think gardiners do a really small brush so you can fit through the railings. I’ve even seen a guy just cleaning the top half with wfp and then just rinsing the hell out of it to try and clean the bottom half. Tbh until I’ve tried it myself I don’t think any of those wfp methods will do a thorough job and if the railings are really tight you’ve no chance.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Do the top of the window and have the customer clean the bottom.

They won't be happy with that but you can waste lots of time trying to get the lower door section behind the bars clean. The other solution is to canvass where there aren't any bars in front of the doors.

We do a few like this if you turn the brush side ways generaly it will fit between the railings then turn the pole and clean as normal generaly don’t have a problem doing them but allow more time , personally I wouldn’t get a ladder off and trad them as that’s a right pain 

I’ve got one on my round (thankfully) I can do the top easy enough then tilt the brush (Gardiners swivel neck) and go in every other set of gaps. The brush should overlap where you’ve cleaned already.

I haven’t had a complaint and they would say something as the place is immaculate.

I remember they actually chose to have them and we’re really pleased...I thought otherwise ?

If they are done regularly you can get by just fine with cleaning the top and only rinsing the bottom through the bars. That is unless a bird has dropped by.

I always clean the bit and I can then rinse through the bars.

Lazy yes, but no one has ever said owt and if they do they can jog on..don't buy such a daft house.

This one could be a pain due to the fact their is 16 rails so really close together compared to most which have around 10 so a lot more room to get the brush through and clean easily. People are saying trad it but you might be lucky to get your hands through those railings. 

The client will have to clean it themselves if you ask me, to much hassle which will could give poor results which ever method you attempt. Chances are even if you used a xtreme brush it could still be tricky. I will be counting the railings on my jobs later today ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best off speaking with the site manager. Most are easy going and are more bothered about your safety than a few windows not being cleaned properly. Like iron says the bars are quite tight so you may not get through by trad and deffinatley not by wfp but remember to put some protection on your ladder so not to scratch the railings of you go down the trad route. I deffo wouldn’t just take it that they will accept a cowboy job without consulting someone first although it seems that most of that advice is coming from wfp only guys so that’s their choice. As long as there’s a few to make it worth while getting the ladder off and you can deffo get your hands through then this is one of the rare occasions where trad is better than wfp. 

The absolute easiest way is going to be to access it from the inside, they open inwards. Bloody stupid design though!!
You say it’s easy, but what about the time taken when the customer starts asking you to take your shoes off etc.

Personally wouldn’t bother with it if it meant going inside the house.

I don’t do interior cleans, so the only time I’m entering a customers house is if I need a p*ss ?

You say it’s easy, but what about the time taken when the customer starts asking you to take your shoes off etc.

Personally wouldn’t bother with it if it meant going inside the house.

I don’t do interior cleans, so the only time I’m entering a customers house is if I need a p*ss ?
Yeah you’re right. You need to keep a milk bottle in the back of the van that will speed you up even more haha ?

Back