Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the rain

windymillers

I would rather work in the rain to keep up to date with my round, even though it is a small round.

It would be a bit of a pain to go back to some that don't want them cleaned when it is raining.

I tell my customers I work in the rain and so far they all seem accept that.

It does take a bit longer, mostly because I need to keep wringing out the cloth I use to clean the frames.

Anyone else carry on during the rain?

today I just took cover in the van till the shower had pasted. No point getting wet when its only a passing shower but they are fairly messing the windows. Cleaned outside of my van once I finished with the wet clothes.

Yes if you know it is only a passing shower then it is worth sitting in the vehicle until it passes but I am no good at telling if it is a shower or going to be raining all day.

The forecast was rain Monday and Tuesday but it did not rain at all and I had no work.

Today was meant to be dry and it was cloudy on my first customer and persistent raining for the remaining 4 customers.

Yes if you know it is only a passing shower then it is worth sitting in the vehicle until it passes but I am no good at telling if it is a shower or going to be raining all day.

The forecast was rain Monday and Tuesday but it did not rain at all and I had no work.

Today was meant to be dry and it was cloudy on my first customer and persistent raining for the remaining 4 customers.

You need https://darksky.net/forecast/55.8482,-4.4249/us12/en its the best weather forecaster I have seen. Well worth the £2.99 for the years app or free on the laptop.

Depends on the forecast. If I know it's gonna rain all day I'll sack it off. Many different views on working in the rain but honestly, if I was the customer and it was raining quite heavy/heavy I would NOT want my windows cleaned simple as that. Therefore if it's a shower or light rain I'll continue to work. If the rain is hitting the glass more than I can get rid of it, I will not clean it in.

This may well be a stupid question, as i am a newbie and have only researched WFP.

But why would a customer cancel a trad clean if it is raining? 

The windows still get cleaned! 

isnt the customer cancelling the clean because of a rainy day in a way the same as a customer cancelling because rain is expected later on in the week? Either way the windows are going to get rain water on them at some point   

Last edited by a moderator:
This may well be a stupid question, as i am a newbie and have only researched WFP.

But why would a customer cancel a trad clean if it is raining? 
The windows still get cleaned! 

isnt the customer cancelling the clean because of a rainy day in a way the same as a customer cancelling because rain is expected later on in the week? Either way the windows are going to get rain water on them at some point   
Simple covering glass in a detergent will end up with the glass drying spotty. My wife cleans our windows trad every now and then and they always dry badly after a spells of rain. I watched the 3 stooges clean windows opposite me last week from 40 metres away I could see the soapy suds on the glass pure white almost they would have looked dirty the next day after the spell of driving rain

If and when I clean them wfp they say cleaner for longer and still look relatively clean after a spell of rain.

County Durham Lad

Depends on the forecast. If I know it's gonna rain all day I'll sack it off. Many different views on working in the rain but honestly, if I was the customer and it was raining quite heavy/heavy I would NOT want my windows cleaned simple as that. Therefore if it's a shower or light rain I'll continue to work. If the rain is hitting the glass more than I can get rid of it, I will not clean it in.
My big thing is reputation....do a good job, that is what the customer wants,expects and likes.

If it is raining, do not mean spitting slightly, then if you continue, the customer assumes the job will be below expectations,whether it ends up perfectly good or not,their perception has already kicked in....and they get a feeling they have been slightly conned.......and they remember, and your standing in their perception decreases

My big thing is reputation....do a good job, that is what the customer wants,expects and likes.

If it is raining, do not mean spitting slightly, then if you continue, the customer assumes the job will be below expectations,whether it ends up perfectly good or not,their perception has already kicked in....and they get a feeling they have been slightly conned.......and they remember, and your standing in their perception decreases

Couldn't agree more mate! They will feel like they are wasting there money. Even if/tho they are not...perception is everything!

I learnt a long time ago to stop second guessing what the customer thinks.

ask / tell them you work in all but the heaviest of rain.

I've also found rarely does it rain all day

When it rains it generally hits the glass on one side of the house 

Customers who expect a reliable service when generally expect 1,2,or 3, visits a year where the weather is not perfect. This is the UK 

Customers that won't support you on these days are the ones likely to change to a cheaper quote in my opinion. 

This time of the year we can get rain, hail and brilliant sunshine, you can't manage that.

As I've got older I still work in the rain but I hate it, I never used to bat an eyelid.

getting into a damp van the following day is a highlight. 

If you don't want to work in the rain that's your choice but don't assume all your customers don't want you. 

Minty

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a new custy a couple of weeks ago, an elderly lady. She said what day do you usually come? I told her but sometimes may be a little late due to many reasons with one of em being the weather. She said “you don’t work in the rain”? I said I’m not a fair weather window cleaner but if it’s really bad then I usually just do half day if it doesn’t clear up plus some people are funny about cleaning in heavy rain. She said sod that you have a living to earn. Tell em to like it or lump it. I was gob smacked as I thought she was gonna be a moaner. Just shows how different people can be. At the end of the day we do have a living to earn and you’ve just gotta use your noggin in these situations. You’ll never keep everyone happy.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back